GOPHERS 2014-2015

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Fun weekend to be a Bulldog fan. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
puckbreath

Post by puckbreath »

east hockey wrote:Fun weekend to be a Bulldog fan. :)

Lee
Hehe.

Maybe this is something the gophers learned screwing around, er, "studying abroad", in Ireland last summer.

:lol:
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I've been a season ticket holder since 1984, and consider myself to be pretty knowledgable when it comes to hockey. Throughout the years, I've seen many players play for the gophers and can usually figure out what asset they bring to the team. For instance, Tom Serratore wasn't the most gifted player, but you always knew he would hit somebody (sometimes legal, sometimes not) and bring physical play to the team. Back a few years, a player like Joey Miller (who was probably the worst skater ever to wear the maroon and gold) could always be counted on to spark the team with his aggressive forechecking.

So my conundrum is: What asset does AJ Michaelson bring to the team? He is in his third year now, and I still can't figure out his role? He's not offensive....not physical.....not a shut down defensive guy. He's not big. Doesn't play aggresively, or create for his line mates. Maybe its something we can't see. Maybe he is a quiet leader in the locker room. I'm not sure, but can anybody offer some insight?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BodyShots wrote:I've been a season ticket holder since 1984, and consider myself to be pretty knowledgable when it comes to hockey. Throughout the years, I've seen many players play for the gophers and can usually figure out what asset they bring to the team. For instance, Tom Serratore wasn't the most gifted player, but you always knew he would hit somebody (sometimes legal, sometimes not) and bring physical play to the team. Back a few years, a player like Joey Miller (who was probably the worst skater ever to wear the maroon and gold) could always be counted on to spark the team with his aggressive forechecking.

So my conundrum is: What asset does AJ Michaelson bring to the team? He is in his third year now, and I still can't figure out his role? He's not offensive....not physical.....not a shut down defensive guy. He's not big. Doesn't play aggresively, or create for his line mates. Maybe its something we can't see. Maybe he is a quiet leader in the locker room. I'm not sure, but can anybody offer some insight?
My thoughts on AJ is instead of skipping his Sr year in HS and going to Waterloo to play in the USHL he should have stuck around at AV. Then went and played not 1, but 2 years in the USHL, which would have brought him in as a freshman this year. Anyone who watched this kid grow up playing (pee wee, bantam, HS and even a tad in the USHL) knows he was a gifted player who always produced very respectable offensive numbers. I think he is in a tough spot. Some nights he's in the press box, some nights he's playing on the 4th line getting small amounts of minutes, some nights he's been up on 3rd line, the entire time really having no chance to develop any real chemistry with anyone. Sometimes when a kid doesn't score or goes into a slump he never "remembers" how to do it again. I think AJ would have been much better off at a smaller school where he could have played a regular role immediately and possibly got some significant special teams time as well. So many very good hockey players have got "lost in the shuffle" with all the talent over the years at the U its crazy and I truly think this is the case with AJ.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:My thoughts on AJ is instead of skipping his Sr year in HS and going to Waterloo to play in the USHL he should have stuck around at AV. Then went and played not 1, but 2 years in the USHL, which would have brought him in as a freshman this year. Anyone who watched this kid grow up playing (pee wee, bantam, HS and even a tad in the USHL) knows he was a gifted player who always produced very respectable offensive numbers. I think he is in a tough spot. Some nights he's in the press box, some nights he's playing on the 4th line getting small amounts of minutes, some nights he's been up on 3rd line, the entire time really having no chance to develop any real chemistry with anyone. Sometimes when a kid doesn't score or goes into a slump he never "remembers" how to do it again. I think AJ would have been much better off at a smaller school where he could have played a regular role immediately and possibly got some significant special teams time as well. So many very good hockey players have got "lost in the shuffle" with all the talent over the years at the U its crazy and I truly think this is the case with AJ.
Sats, I applaud you for taking the "glass is half full" viewpoint here, and I do agree with your observation that he probably would have helped himself by playing in the USHL for two years after staying for his senior year in high school. But those choices are way in the past, and I think most would agree that he should have developed a lot more than he has in his 2+ years at the U. While it's not too late for him to take the next step and taking on a bigger role, it's not looking good based on what he's shown so far in his junior year.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Why did they bring him in as early as they did? If they wanted a 4th liner, I'm sure they could have found a 20 yr old out of juniors. Not the first that they have done this to, and won't be the last.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

mulefarm wrote:Why did they bring him in as early as they did? If they wanted a 4th liner, I'm sure they could have found a 20 yr old out of juniors. Not the first that they have done this to, and won't be the last.
I'm sure at the time they did consider all of their options, and based on their analysis they thought they were making the best decision in bringing in A.J. when they did. I think it's safe to say that every team out there will make some roster decisions that in hindsight they wish they would have taken a different course. Given their high profile here in the Twin Cities the Gophers are under a lot more scrutiny. We expect more and tend to criticize more.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:My thoughts on AJ is instead of skipping his Sr year in HS and going to Waterloo to play in the USHL he should have stuck around at AV. Then went and played not 1, but 2 years in the USHL, which would have brought him in as a freshman this year. Anyone who watched this kid grow up playing (pee wee, bantam, HS and even a tad in the USHL) knows he was a gifted player who always produced very respectable offensive numbers. I think he is in a tough spot. Some nights he's in the press box, some nights he's playing on the 4th line getting small amounts of minutes, some nights he's been up on 3rd line, the entire time really having no chance to develop any real chemistry with anyone. Sometimes when a kid doesn't score or goes into a slump he never "remembers" how to do it again. I think AJ would have been much better off at a smaller school where he could have played a regular role immediately and possibly got some significant special teams time as well. So many very good hockey players have got "lost in the shuffle" with all the talent over the years at the U its crazy and I truly think this is the case with AJ.
Sats, I applaud you for taking the "glass is half full" viewpoint here, and I do agree with your observation that he probably would have helped himself by playing in the USHL for two years after staying for his senior year in high school. But those choices are way in the past, and I think most would agree that he should have developed a lot more than he has in his 2+ years at the U. While it's not too late for him to take the next step and taking on a bigger role, it's not looking good based on what he's shown so far in his junior year.
I take the "glass half full" view point here because I am certain there is a very good hockey player there. I would argue that his lack of development/stepping into a bigger role has been affected because of the high amount of forward talent there and he has been buried on the depth chart....Rau, Kloos, Fasching, Cammy, Warning, Haula, Bjugstad, Boyd, Budish some of the better forwards there in the last 3 years....tough to make a huge diff offensively if you are not a top 6 guy night in and night out. Hockey has so much to do with momentum and streaks and who gets hot when. I am not saying AJ is better than any of the above listed forwards, I am just making the point that once you get buried on the depth chart it is very difficult to find your way out with little to no ice time.
keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

I agree the kid is in a tough spot! Part of AJ leaving high school was the assurance that he would come in as a true freshman. He was encouraged to stay in Iowa another year. Sometimes as the game changes some kids don't adjust as well or as quickly as others. AJ was never an accomplished puck handler as a youth player but his incredible speed allowed him to be effective and rarely did he have to play in traffic. He was a human breakaway waiting to happen. When he got to Waterloo, while still very fast, the rest of the league was fast in its own right. Chipping the puck past people and just out skating them didn't work anymore, defensemen were better at angles and forwards played much more structured defense. As the games roll by and the points don't happen any kid would start to question what was happening. In short, the rink got a whole lot smaller and the ability to play in traffic became far more important. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be when the scouts from every major college and the WHL have been telling you that your bound for the show, people forget that this kid turned down Ann Arbor!
EVERY case of a kid leaving early is different but in AJ's case he simply had the puck taken away from him after high school and has had to recreate himself as a player. I would love to see him fulfill that early promise but he has to get a chance first.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

keepyourheadup wrote:I agree the kid is in a tough spot! Part of AJ leaving high school was the assurance that he would come in as a true freshman. He was encouraged to stay in Iowa another year. Sometimes as the game changes some kids don't adjust as well or as quickly as others. AJ was never an accomplished puck handler as a youth player but his incredible speed allowed him to be effective and rarely did he have to play in traffic. He was a human breakaway waiting to happen. When he got to Waterloo, while still very fast, the rest of the league was fast in its own right. Chipping the puck past people and just out skating them didn't work anymore, defensemen were better at angles and forwards played much more structured defense. As the games roll by and the points don't happen any kid would start to question what was happening. In short, the rink got a whole lot smaller and the ability to play in traffic became far more important. Can you imagine how frustrating it would be when the scouts from every major college and the WHL have been telling you that your bound for the show, people forget that this kid turned down Ann Arbor!
EVERY case of a kid leaving early is different but in AJ's case he simply had the puck taken away from him after high school and has had to recreate himself as a player. I would love to see him fulfill that early promise but he has to get a chance first.
Excellent post. All great points. Hit the nail on the head.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:Excellent post. All great points. Hit the nail on the head.
Yes, thanks for providing all the info, kyhu, good stuff. AJ should get plenty of ice time tomorrow night, and I will be paying him some extra attention.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Nice win over BC followed by laying HUGE egg with Northeastern loss...offense gotta get going here...
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

I stayed up late last night to watch the tape delay of the Michigan State game, without knowing the score when it finally started, around 10:45pm or so. Nice to have Travis Boyd back in the line-up; with him back at center the lines are so much better balanced and tougher for opposing teams to defend. I thought even the forth line responded well with a good game.

Hoping for a repeat performance tonight! That would make for a great start in the conference race and a great way to finish the first half heading into the break.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I didn't see Friday's game, but they did not look very good on Saturday. Offensively they couldn't complete a pass, and defensively, they gave up way to many odd man rushes.

Why do I always get nervous when Brodzinski is on the ice?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BodyShots wrote:I didn't see Friday's game, but they did not look very good on Saturday. Offensively they couldn't complete a pass, and defensively, they gave up way to many odd man rushes.

Because he is a major defensive liability. Lots of holes in that game...

This team has major problems...not sure if its coaching or what the story is...other than Kloos, Rau (who still hasnt been his best this year) and suprisingly....Connor Reilly, this team is getting little offensive output.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Sats81 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:I didn't see Friday's game, but they did not look very good on Saturday. Offensively they couldn't complete a pass, and defensively, they gave up way to many odd man rushes.

This team has major problems...not sure if its coaching or what the story is...other than Kloos, Rau (who still hasnt been his best this year) and suprisingly....Connor Reilly, this team is getting little offensive output.
Outside of his injury, I think Boyd has put up good offensive numbers as well.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BodyShots wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Outside of his injury, I think Boyd has put up good offensive numbers as well.
Agreed.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

While Hudson Fasching is all but a lock to make the USA World Juniors team, Ryan Collins is not and may not survive the final cut following tomorrow night's final exhibition game against Sweden. While his absence from the Gopher lineup would really hurt the team for the Mariucci Classic, I really do hope he survives the final USA cut and that both players do well while representing the Gophers and Minnesota. I love watching the World Juniors tournament, and for those who feel the same here's the TV schedule for the U.S. games. Note the NHL Network channel # is for Comcast in my viewing area - your number for your provider and area will probably be different.

Date Opponent Location Time (CT)
Fri., Dec. 26 Finland Bell Centre, Montreal 2 p.m.
NHL Network (Channel 872)/NHL.com (stream)

Sun., Dec. 28 Germany Bell Centre, Montreal 7 p.m.

Mon., Dec. 29 Slovakia Bell Centre, Montreal 3 p.m.

Wed., Dec. 31 Canada Bell Centre, Montreal 3 p.m.

Fri., Jan. 2 Quarterfinals Montreal or Toronto TBD

Sun., Jan. 4 Semifinals Air Canada Centre, Toronto TBD

Mon., Jan. 5 Finals Air Canada Centre, Toronto TBD
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:While Hudson Fasching is all but a lock to make the USA World Juniors team, Ryan Collins is not and may not survive the final cut following tomorrow night's final exhibition game against Sweden. While his absence from the Gopher lineup would really hurt the team for the Mariucci Classic, I really do hope he survives the final USA cut and that both players do well while representing the Gophers and Minnesota. I love watching the World Juniors tournament, and for those who feel the same here's the TV schedule for the U.S. games. Note the NHL Network channel # is for Comcast in my viewing area - your number for your provider and area will probably be different.

Date Opponent Location Time (CT)
Fri., Dec. 26 Finland Bell Centre, Montreal 2 p.m.

Sun., Dec. 28 Germany Bell Centre, Montreal 7 p.m.

Mon., Dec. 29 Slovakia Bell Centre, Montreal 3 p.m.

Wed., Dec. 31 Canada Bell Centre, Montreal 3 p.m.

Fri., Jan. 2 Quarterfinals Montreal or Toronto TBD

Sun., Jan. 4 Semifinals Air Canada Centre, Toronto TBD

Mon., Jan. 5 Finals Air Canada Centre, Toronto TBD
I think the Gophers will be just fine without both. In fact, take away the first 1/3 of Fasching's Freshman season and he has done little to nothing. HUGE disapointment.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Sats81 wrote:I think the Gophers will be just fine without both. In fact, take away the first 1/3 of Fasching's Freshman season and he has done little to nothing. HUGE disapointment.
Sure hope so, but with Skjei out we could definitely use Collins in the lineup. And I'd still rather have Fasching than any one of the 4th liners moving up...even though I agree that his play this year has been disappointing relative to what we all were expecting. Hopefully the World Junior experience will change things for him.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

MNHockeyFan wrote:
Sats81 wrote:I think the Gophers will be just fine without both. In fact, take away the first 1/3 of Fasching's Freshman season and he has done little to nothing. HUGE disapointment.
Sure hope so, but with Skjei out we could definitely use Collins in the lineup. And I'd still rather have Fasching than any one of the 4th liners moving up...even though I agree that his play this year has been disappointing relative to what we all were expecting. Hopefully the World Junior experience will change things for him.

Personally, I feel like Hudson has never lived up to expectations at any level. While he is not a pure scorer, I still expect a lot more out of a big guy. He, to me is a poor mans Nick Bjugstad. He did little to nothing in Ann Arbor, was a perimeter player, never went into the paint or dirty areas to make things happen and we have seen that from him almost his entire U of M career other than Oct and November of his freshman year. No way is he NHL ready. Big time Overrated. Give me the Kyle Rau's and Justin Kloos' of the world anyday over him.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

Well let's see what he does in the World Juniors. He's still got time to develop into the kind of player that you think he should be, as he is just a sophomore, 3 years younger than Rau and 2 years behind Kloos.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

MNHockeyFan wrote:Well let's see what he does in the World Juniors.
So far so good I'd say. Let's hope he can carry over all the enthusiasm he's showing when he rejoins the Gophers.
oldschoolpuckster

Post by oldschoolpuckster »

Sats81 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:

Personally, I feel like Hudson has never lived up to expectations at any level. While he is not a pure scorer, I still expect a lot more out of a big guy. He, to me is a poor mans Nick Bjugstad. He did little to nothing in Ann Arbor, was a perimeter player, never went into the paint or dirty areas to make things happen and we have seen that from him almost his entire U of M career other than Oct and November of his freshman year. No way is he NHL ready. Big time Overrated. Give me the Kyle Rau's and Justin Kloos' of the world anyday over him.
Clueless....
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

oldschoolpuckster wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote: Sure hope so, but with Skjei out we could definitely use Collins in the lineup. And I'd still rather have Fasching than any one of the 4th liners moving up...even though I agree that his play this year has been disappointing relative to what we all were expecting. Hopefully the World Junior experience will change things for him.

Clueless....
How is that?