GOPHERS 2014-2015

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:42 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:Special teams can also factor in a lot in these playoff games as well. Neither team has been great on the PK this year but the Gophers have a sizable advantage in PP success.

I can't say I have spent a ton of time paying attention to UMD this year so I was somewhat surprised that they don't have better offensive numbers. For a team that has some pretty good talent up front, they haven't scored per game nearly as well as I would have expected.
Some of that may be the caliber of their competition over the course of the season, but yes, the goal total is a bit low given their offensive depth.

Not sure if UMD fans would agree, but I've never been a huge fan of having Krause on a line with Toninato with Iafallo. Nothing against Krause, who is by all accounts an important leader on this team, but I think his presence dulls what could otherwise be a lethal top line--they grind and possess the puck a ton, and while Toninato and Iafallo have decent numbers despite both having been absent from the lineup at times, they're not phenomenal. A more dynamic player like Crandall might have made that line more productive. (This speaks to your comment on the PP success somewhat, too.) I think Sandelin has sacrificed some goals in the interest of creating 3-4 lines that can all possess the puck and generate consistent offensive zone time. When they can't even manage that, the team looks pretty flat.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Gopher Blog wrote:Special teams can also factor in a lot in these playoff games as well. Neither team has been great on the PK this year but the Gophers have a sizable advantage in PP success.

I can't say I have spent a ton of time paying attention to UMD this year so I was somewhat surprised that they don't have better offensive numbers. For a team that has some pretty good talent up front, they haven't scored per game nearly as well as I would have expected.
Geez Hammy-Maybe we are gonna end up being good friends! :wink:

I totally agree on this and thought the same thing. I would think with Toninato, Farley, Iafollo, Camernasi, Osterberg, Crandall we would see a lot higher offensive production. Especially with the hot start Toninato had. Not taking anything from Camernasi, but I absolutely expected more out of him offensively in college then he has produced.

Should be a good game.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:26 pm

So BU limps out of the game with Yale in OT. They didn't look as good as I expected. Definitely think if Gophers play well this weekend they will win the regional. UMD is gonna be tough.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:03 pm

What were the shots in the BU game?

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:44 pm

Sats81 wrote:So BU limps out of the game with Yale in OT. They didn't look as good as I expected. Definitely think if Gophers play well this weekend they will win the regional. UMD is gonna be tough.
They didn't look great but the was because of Lyon, the pride of Lake of the Woods!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:02 am

Sats81 wrote:So BU limps out of the game with Yale in OT. They didn't look as good as I expected. Definitely think if Gophers play well this weekend they will win the regional. UMD is gonna be tough.
UMD was tough! Gophers played up to their ability, only Wilcox had an off game. Few above average players and the rest just average. Take away the B10 and they would have been a 500 team. Too bad they don't have the tlournament in November, thgey would win it every year!

warriors41

Post by warriors41 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:53 am

mulefarm wrote:
UMD was tough! Gophers played up to their ability, only Wilcox had an off game. Few above average players and the rest just average. Take away the B10 and they would have been a 500 team. Too bad they don't have the tlournament in November, thgey would win it every year!
Do you are think Wilcox's confidence is still shaken after last years championship game? Most of those goals weren't his fault buts the only reason I can think of for the change in last years performance to this years.

observer

Post by observer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Embarrassing. Way to many weak and soft players. It takes a much higher battle level and urgency to make it happen.

North Dakota and St. Cloud advance and the Gophs can't? They have all the in state advantages and can't make it work. I think it's the fault of the recruited players first with the coaches playing a secondary role in the failure. 150 lb 97s aren't going to be the answer. The gopher process is all wrong.
Last edited by observer on Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:52 pm

Mankato losing to RIT is worse than the Gophers losing to Holy Cross!!

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:52 pm

observer wrote:Embarrassing. Way to many weak and soft players. It takes a much higher battle level and urgency to make it happen.

North Dakota and St. Cloud advance and the Gophs can't? They have all the in state advantages and can't make it work. I think it's the fault of the recruited players first with the coaches playing a secondary role in the failure. 150 lb 97s aren't going to be the answer. The gopher process is all wrong.
Is that what you said last year when they were in the final?

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 am

This group of seniors had a great 4 year run. Let's not forget that.

However, let not tip toe around the subject that something happened to this team during the season. Some inside the locker room say the Boyd/rau thing never happened but I don't believe it. Maybe there was a power struggle amongst all the upperclassmen. Did they become over confident? I don't know the answer but something changed.

Part of thinks by the expression on Lucia's face at times he is glad this season is over.

I would like to see the gophers bring in older freshmen. And I would also like to see them get more grit. Guys like Matson, jake Hansen, condon, alt, helgeson, parenteau, and seratorre all come to mind. Not many players like them on this years team.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:57 am

I think it will be very hard for Lucia to bring in older freshman. The vast majority of the players he goes after are getting offered fulls by other schools with a chance to play immediately, to get these kids he has to do the same. Then he ends up with no money for older players, and the other schools divide up their scholarships, give these character players a half. (walk ons at the U don't seem to happen anymore) If he wants the older players, he is going to have to be willing to let some top talent players walk and divide his scholarship money. It seems the top schools are getting commintments from very young players and then try to fit them in, where the next tier down schools, can wait and see what their needs are, and go after the 2nd year junior players. Also many of the top players(high draft choices) are using college hockey as a stepping stone to the NHL and are looking to leave early. Where the older players are looking to get their degree, and then see if there are any opportunties in hockey.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:51 am

The olympic size ice sheet at Mariucci is not doing them any favors. Because of the large ice surface, they go after the small quick players who use the big sheet to their advantage. Then they get to the tournament and they aren't built for, and can't adjust to the smaller rink.

Let's face it. This game wasn't even close. The Gophers had the edge for the first 3 1/2 minutes and then it was all down hill from there. First goal was a back door pass for a tap in with your best defensive defensemen having no clue the guy was even there. Second goal was typical Cammy. Looking over his shoulder to see what's coming and getting beat to the puck in the corner. Puck is thrown to the defensemen who shoots and scores. Third goal is a tap in by your best offensive defensmen. 3 - 0 end of one, game over.

Does anybody know if they are going to shrink the ice at Mariucci? I've heard rumors, but haven't seen anything definitive yet.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:27 pm

So much for that! lol. Definitely a disapointing season in my opinion, although if you look at the bigger picture, last season making it to the national championship they probably overachieved...this season they underachieved....it is what it is. Now please get Kloos some damn wings so he can show what he's really made of!!

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:04 am

Boyd signs entry level deal with Caps, Rau with Florida, Ambroz already playing in AHL with Columbus affiliate..congrats to all.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:47 pm

What does everyone think will happen with skjei, Reilly, Wilcox, and fasching?

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:53 pm

Tigers33 wrote:What does everyone think will happen with skjei, Reilly, Wilcox, and fasching?
Skjei will leave, Reilly will likely as well (just whether or not he sign with Columbus or be a free agent and signs with best offer he can get), Wilcox toss up, not a chance Fasching leaves. No where near NHL ready.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:12 pm

Tigers33 wrote:What does everyone think will happen with skjei, Reilly, Wilcox, and fasching?
I think all but Fasching are going to go pro. I think Wilcox should go the free agent route like Justin Schultz. Reilly could do that too if he chooses. Skjei will sign with the Rangers in due time.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 am

Brady signs with Hartford (Rangers AHL affiliate) Best of luck to him.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:16 am

I tell you what though if I am fasching I would think long and hard about leaving. There won't be anybody left!

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:39 am

I would guess Fasching will leave if Buffalo thinks he has a chance to make it. They are in a complete rebuild and will want as many of their young players to have a year or two in the AHL.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:17 am

Tigers33 wrote:I tell you what though if I am fasching I would think long and hard about leaving. There won't be anybody left!
What do you mean.... he could be on a line with AJ and Cammy. :shock:

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Tigers33 wrote:I tell you what though if I am fasching I would think long and hard about leaving. There won't be anybody left!
He's not anywhere ready to play a level above college. I can't even believe people think there is a chance. His stock continues to plummet.

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:20 pm

Wilcox gone now too. Best of luck

Sats81

Post by Sats81 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

BodyShots wrote:
What do you mean.... he could be on a line with AJ and Cammy. :shock:
I am not a cammy fan but offensively speaking they are almost identical from a production standpoint. This is with Hudson being given every opportunity to succeed. He has played on the "first" line since the moment he stepped on campus and has played on the first PP unit his entire 2 years. Sure he's big and has an NHL frame but he doesn't use it to his advantage often.