Gophers 2015 - 2016

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Gophers 2015 - 2016

Post by BodyShots »

Is this a rebuilding year, or will they just reload?

Only 3 Seniors on the team, who haven't seen a lot of ice time in the past (Coyne, Michaelson, and R. Reilly)

The strength will have to come from the Junior class which includes two transfers. Six forwards (Cammarata, Fasching, Kloos, Lettieri, C. Reilly, and newcomer Rogge) along with three defensemen (Bischoff, Brodzinski, and newcomer Seeler).

Hopefully the Sophomore class will see significant improvement from the previous year (Bristedt, Collins, Glover, Hoglund, Johnson, and Lehr)

A large Freshmen class including two new goalies. Forwards are (Gates, Norman, Novak, Ramsey, Romanko, Sheehy) Defense includes (Sadek and Simonson) and the new goalies are (Kautz and Schierhorn).

Top 10 questions include:

1. Who will be the starting goalie?
2. What freshmen will get significant ice time, including special teams?
3. Will Fasch and Cammy start producing like many expected them too?
4. How will the transfers fit in?
5. Will the seniors see much ice time?
6. The team has a lot of size. Will they play physical?
7. Can they win the Big10 again?
8. Will they make the NCAA tourney field?
9. Who will make up the top 6 forwards to provide the offense?
10. What do you think will be the line combinations?
Gopher Blog

Re: Gophers 2015 - 2016

Post by Gopher Blog »

BodyShots wrote: Top 10 questions include:

1. Who will be the starting goalie?
In prior seasons when there hasn't been a clear cut returning #1 goalie, they tend to alternate starts early on and let their play dictate who earns the job. I think Schierhorn will be the guy will take the job in time. He had an excellent season in the USHL and that tends to bode well. One scout I know is very high on Kautz though so maybe he'll surprise me.
2. What freshmen will get significant ice time, including special teams?
Of the F/D, I suspect Novak, Sheehy, and Gates will see plenty of ice time. The others will probably have a bigger hill to climb to be playing game in and game out next season.

Tough call on the special teams part. A lot of returning guys that can fill those roles. I think Novak is most likely out of the incoming forwards to get PP time because he is very offensively gifted.
3. Will Fasch and Cammy start producing like many expected them too?
IMO, Cammy is the biggest enigma on the team. He's been a lightening rod among teammates (veteran leaders haven't been fond of his effort level at times during his first two seasons). Frankly, I think last year was the first time he ever had to face real adversity on the ice and he didn't answer the bell very well. He needs to become more mentally tough and engaged in the battles. He needs to score more goals and not just look to pass. He also has to quit being soft. Nobody is expecting him to become a bruiser but Troy Riddle wasn't a big guy either and nobody ever questioned his willingness to get his nose dirty. Cammy got a lot of scholarship to attend the U and he needs to step it up significantly this year to prove he is worth it. No more disengaged, lackluster attitude. I'm pulling for him but he needs to develop more fire.

I think Fasching will end up in the 35 to 40 pts. range this year if he remains healthy. He does need to start imposing his will more on the game now that he is a junior. Few guys in college hockey have his size and ability. He can make some plays at that size that can "wow" you but then the consistency wasn't there. I am hoping he brings a little more snarl this year. Especially around the front of the net. Create some havoc.
4. How will the transfers fit in?
I don't suspect Rogge will be a factor. Unless something unbelievable has occurred with his development, he'll mainly be a spot player at best. Seeler should be a big contributor though. Good size, physical, and has something to prove.
5. Will the seniors see much ice time?
Probably just Michaelson and likely as a lower line center that plays on the penalty kill.
6. The team has a lot of size. Will they play physical?
I think they will be more physical on defense this year than they were last year. Partially because they had three freshmen on D last year that will have had another full off-season adding size to their frames. I've heard Glover in particular looks like an entirely different guy this summer (noticeably bigger/stronger). I'd suspect Collins has bulked up a good amount as well (and he has the huge frame). Seeler is known as a rugged D man. Simonson is no shrinking violet either.

Tougher to know up front but the incoming guys are definitely bigger than the guys that left so there's a solid chance they will play more ruggedly up front too.
7. Can they win the Big10 again?
It'll probably come down to the Gophers and Michigan again. The B1G won't be particularly strong this year with UW still floundering and Penn State still developing. Tougher to say what we'll see out of MSU and OSU.
8. Will they make the NCAA tourney field?
It'll probably come down to their non-conference performance because the lack of quality depth in the B1G this year will likely mean the Gophs won't get a lot of help from their conference mates performing well against other conferences. Of course, the one major item to point to is all it takes to make the NCAAs is winning the B1G tourney at Xcel. Which would essentially mean winning two games at a rink that will be very pro-Gopher. I'd bet they make the NCAAs this year one way or the other.
9. Who will make up the top 6 forwards to provide the offense?
I think Kloos, Fasching, Bristedt, and Cammy to be in the top 6 (please Cammy... earn it). The other two spots will be whoever works hardest this off-season and shows they are up to the task. Could be a newcomer like Novak is up there. Could be a kid like Connor Reilly (who was having a good season prior to getting dinged). Or maybe there will be a surprise or two in the mix. Maybe a guy like Gates gets up there with his goal scoring ability and size. Tough call until they start getting in front of the coaches.
10. What do you think will be the line combinations?
Too soon for me to venture a quality opinion. A few too many unknowns yet.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Bischoff, Fasching and Connor Reilly named assistant Captains for upcoming season. With Kloos wearing the C, its all Juniors this year for their leadership. Congrats to all these guys.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the Gophers?
Bonin2121

Post by Bonin2121 »

Well they looked brutal, and could easily get swept next weekend. Everyone is sitting back and praying.
Roy01

Post by Roy01 »

Down 3-0 to UMD right now. Still early in the year, but oh man... Could be a long year.
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

Gopher Blog what can you say about your gophers this year? Looks like it might be a long season. Frustration will start setting in and I predict it wil only get worse. Kloos is quoted in Star Tribune as saying he has "never been in this position before." Lucia's recent committs are setting the stage for this to continue. Getting 9th and 10th graders is not the answer. Gopher hockey should never have to have a rebuilding year. Total revamp the whole coaching staff....
Lazy Scout

Post by Lazy Scout »

Gopher Blog what can you say about your gophers this year? Looks like it might be a long season. Frustration will start setting in and I predict it wil only get worse. Kloos is quoted in Star Tribune as saying he has "never been in this position before." Lucia's recent committs are setting the stage for this to continue. Getting 9th and 10th graders is not the answer. Gopher hockey should never have to have a rebuilding year. Total revamp the whole coaching staff....
greybeard58

Post by greybeard58 »

1 goal in 3 games and at least 0-7 on the power play OUCH.
observer

Post by observer »

Was there some discussion? Novak better than Boeser?
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

sweep this weekend over a not so good NE team. Hopefully this is what they need to get going, bye week then off to South Bend who just tied UMD 2 nights in a row.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I went to Saturday nights game. They looked great...... for 2:30 minutes. After that I thought Northeastern had the better play. Goalie made some nice saves, but then let in a softy.

I think we have to be patient with this club. They had 7 freshman on the ice and its going to take time.

Most over-hyped player ever to come to the U is still a non factor on the ice!
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BodyShots wrote:I went to Saturday nights game. They looked great...... for 2:30 minutes. After that I thought Northeastern had the better play. Goalie made some nice saves, but then let in a softy.

I think we have to be patient with this club. They had 7 freshman on the ice and its going to take time.

Fasching or Cammaratta?
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

Correct me if I am wrong Sats, cause you are always right. Didn't fasching have a decent weekend?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Sats81 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:I went to Saturday nights game. They looked great...... for 2:30 minutes. After that I thought Northeastern had the better play. Goalie made some nice saves, but then let in a softy.

Fasching or Cammaratta?
Fasching actually looked pretty good on Saturday and put a couple in the net. It's the other guy who was suppose to add offensive punch to this team, that I'm trying to figure out how he could produce at such a high level at Shattuck and USHL, and yet do absolutely nothing for two plus years. It really makes me wonder how good those two leagues are given what I have seen from him at the U.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BodyShots wrote:
Sats81 wrote:

Fasching or Cammaratta?
Fasching actually looked pretty good on Saturday and put a couple in the net. It's the other guy who was suppose to add offensive punch to this team, that I'm trying to figure out how he could produce at such a high level at Shattuck and USHL, and yet do absolutely nothing for two plus years. It really makes me wonder how good those two leagues are given what I have seen from him at the U.
Did you ever watch him play at SSM or in Waterloo?

Cammy has tremendously gifted hands and a hockey sense that made him an incredible scorer at previous levels. He was also given a LONG leash in Waterloo and hung out at the red line often....but he’s also the type of player that is pretty much invisible when he is NOT scoring (ie he is NOT good without the puck) and at the college level where d man are bigger, stronger and smarter its made life more difficult for #13.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Tigers33 wrote:Correct me if I am wrong Sats, cause you are always right. Didn't fasching have a decent weekend?
Tigers33/"GopherHockeyInsider"

Scoresheet wise yes. However, a typical rube like yourself only pays attention to these sorts of things and fails to see the other 95% of the game. Hudson has been and always will be an overrated player. Bottom line. He has never truly produced offensively at any level. We can argue back and forth all day on this but he has never lived up to his billing. Will be shocked to see him ever play a game beyond the AHL.

Don't count on him when times are tough (games against teams like Nodak,UMD, Denver, BC, etc)

Hope he proves me wrong GopherHockeyInsider.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Sats81 wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
Sats81 wrote: Fasching or Cammaratta?

Cammy has tremendously gifted hands and a hockey sense that made him an incredible scorer at previous levels. He was also given a LONG leash in Waterloo and hung out at the red line often....but he’s also the type of player that is pretty much invisible when he is NOT scoring (ie he is NOT good without the puck) and at the college level where d man are bigger, stronger and smarter its made life more difficult for #13.
Nope, never saw him play before joining the Gophers. Just heard how he was lighting up every league he had ever played in and was going to provide the Gophers instant offense. (Can't wait for that to happen. :roll: )

So what you are telling me is that he was a "suck hole" and can score when its just him and the goalie. Strange, but I vaguely remember him taking some shoot out attempts and coming up empty in the prior years.

I hope the kid turns it around. The Gopher's can sure use some help on the offensive end and I would like nothing better than for him to reach his full potential.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

The big sheet of ice really hurts Taylor cammarata. I think he is a below average skater at best in my opinion.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Tigers33 wrote:The big sheet of ice really hurts Taylor cammarata. I think he is a below average skater at best in my opinion.
Agreed on this.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

BodyShots wrote:
Sats81 wrote:
BodyShots wrote: Fasching actually looked pretty good on Saturday and put a couple in the net. It's the other guy who was suppose to add offensive punch to this team, that I'm trying to figure out how he could produce at such a high level at Shattuck and USHL, and yet do absolutely nothing for two plus years. It really makes me wonder how good those two leagues are given what I have seen from him at the U.

Nope, never saw him play before joining the Gophers. Just heard how he was lighting up every league he had ever played in and was going to provide the Gophers instant offense. (Can't wait for that to happen. :roll: )

So what you are telling me is that he was a "suck hole" and can score when its just him and the goalie. Strange, but I vaguely remember him taking some shoot out attempts and coming up empty in the prior years.

I hope the kid turns it around. The Gopher's can sure use some help on the offensive end and I would like nothing better than for him to reach his full potential.
I sure hope he can get it going too.
Sats81

Post by Sats81 »

Notre Dame this weekend. Would be happy with a split. Hope they can go in there and play well.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

A good result this weekend would go a long ways at the end of the year with Pairwise rankings.
Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 »

I am so glad the gophers are easy to find on TV. I noticed FSN last night had some exhibition basketball and Big Ten Network had volleyball. I wonder how those ratings were.
C-dad

Post by C-dad »

Tigers33 wrote:I am so glad the gophers are easy to find on TV. I noticed FSN last night had some exhibition basketball and Big Ten Network had volleyball. I wonder how those ratings were.
To find Gopher telecasts, go here: http://www.gopherpucklive.com/schedule.php