Gophers 2015 - 2016

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mulefarm

Re: Gophers

Post by mulefarm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:05 pm

blueblood wrote:No NCAA's for the Gophs. What happens next?
Mike Hastings?

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:18 am

Todd Richards sounds good.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:23 am

Did he graduate? I believe the U coaches have to be a college graduate. I remember something about Trent Tucker being an assistant, but at the time did not have a degree?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 am

I don't get it.

The Gophers were an average team in a below average league. They didn't have any superstars and only had three seniors that didn't play very much or contribute anything substantial.

How can a team like this, lose 3 underclassmen who have signed pro contracts? Is the NHL minor leagues really this bad?

What is driving these kids to leave school early to play in the minor leagues?
  • Do they hate school?
    Do they hate the coaches?
    Do they think they are good enough to play in the NHL?
I understood last years defections of Skjei and Reilly who were top draft picks and succeeded at the college level. I don't get this years defections of average college players.

blueblood

Signings

Post by blueblood » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:25 am

It's planning. The agents who represent this guys represent the kids coming in. They look who could be coming into the program next year and sign because:

1) they may not be playing as much as they want next year. A 40 game college schedule pales to a pro schedule
2) straight cash homey...

Potential projected players include:

Defensemen - Lindgren, Zuhlsdorf and Rossini
Forwards - Marooney, Mittelstadt, Notermann, Pitlick and Wait

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:18 am

There are many other factors that go into play.
1. The NHL programs may not think they are developing the way they expect them to. My guess is this could be the case with Brodzinski. And the flip side is Boeser from North Dakota. If I had to take a guess Vancouver looks at boeser and says he's developing just fine and we aren't paying him a dime.
2. Seeler and Fasching but seeler in particular. He's already graduated or is set to graduate this spring. Remember he was a transfer so he sat out a year so he actually would've been s senior. Fasching also has graduated or is set to graduate this spring. That makes the decision much easier when they have a degree already.

But to say Fasching isn't ready is crazy. He will play in a fair share of NHL games next year. The other two you are right tho, they won't. Seeler may have had to sign or else became a free agent too. Not totally sure. But my guess is the fact he's graduated was a bigger reason.

Tigers33

Post by Tigers33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:24 am

My question about this team which gopher blog doesn't agree with is are any of these freshman we had this year going to be any good? I understand the gophers were young but are any of them actual game changers.

I will concede scheihorn and nowak.

Now it sounds like Rem Pitlick not sold on coming in next year. May wait one more year. Which I love by the way but that was their top freshman coming in. Middlestadt probably would be the second best and he should wait too which it sounds like he is thinking hard about his decision.

Will any of next years freshman be any good?

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:20 am

I thought Romanko was very solid in the second half of the year. He won't be a superstar, but he should be a solid third line center moving forward.

Sheehy showed that he can put the puck in the net. Just needs to be a little more consistent.

Novak did not impress me as much as he was touted to do. They had him playing with Fasching the entire year and also logged a lot of PP time. Given that, I expected him to produce a lot more. He needs to add some strength and weight over the summer and hopefully will play better next year.

Don't forget about Szmatula who is coming in as a transfer. I expect him to be a top 6 forward.

Defense will be a major concern. Losing Seeler is a big blow, and Brodzinski will make us that more inexeperienced. Sadek looked good at times and can definitely move the puck. Collins had a terrible year and needs to get back to the player who showed promise during his stint with the US Development team. Will be curious to see if Simonson gets any playing time.

observer

Post by observer » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:34 am