Don Lucia

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm

norcon wrote:
WestMetro wrote:I like the heavily rumored Richards/Ward /Bell group

NHL 3 period season long work ethic, respect the value of work on the boards and in corners, and promote 2 way 200’ forwards.

Fresh start message with deep Minnesota connections . Instant respect . Bell helps ensure stable transition and good recruiter .
I’ve heard that prior to coming back to the U, Bell had been one of Lucia’s biggest critics for years. Pat Micheletti said on KFAN yesterday that he felt one of the primary problems of the program is the negativity generated by local alumni. Hopefully the new coach will have better support from them and the fan base.
If true, what happened between Don and the alumni, to lose their support?

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for re-sharing this.

The final part kind of sums up my bewilderment about the fan base for Gopher hockey. Two years ago the complaint for why people didn't watch was the B1G was too weak. Now it is the strongest conference and these same complainers still aren't happy.

This is a real tough job for whoever takes it.
Be kind. Rewind.

norcon

Post by norcon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm

mulefarm wrote:
norcon wrote:
WestMetro wrote:I like the heavily rumored Richards/Ward /Bell group

NHL 3 period season long work ethic, respect the value of work on the boards and in corners, and promote 2 way 200’ forwards.

Fresh start message with deep Minnesota connections . Instant respect . Bell helps ensure stable transition and good recruiter .
I’ve heard that prior to coming back to the U, Bell had been one of Lucia’s biggest critics for years. Pat Micheletti said on KFAN yesterday that he felt one of the primary problems of the program is the negativity generated by local alumni. Hopefully the new coach will have better support from them and the fan base.
If true, what happened between Don and the alumni, to lose their support?
[/quote
I think it’s pretty well known that there were a number of them not pleased when he was hired because he wasn’t a former gopher.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:29 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:http://www.citypages.com/news/what-happ ... am-7960026

"Potshot" commentary by more than a few alumni.

Gopher alum Kevin Hartzell. "They don't do the little things that are the most important. Getting traffic inside the dots. Winning puck battles along the boards. Never getting beat up the ice so you don't give up odd-man rushes. What we've seen this program become is a glorified high school team."
We can pretty much skip anything coming from Hartzell. He's got an axe to grind bigger than Paul Bunyans. Zero credibility on the topic. That CityPages piece was also widely regarded as a complete hatchet job as well.

And NWOT........in regards to Hank Sorenson at the U......No thanks.
Last edited by Section 8 guy on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:48 am

Stang5280 wrote:LOL to the idea that any of the high-level NCHC coaches would have serious interest in the Minnesota job........but UMD and Denver can easily match any salary offer that the Gophers put out there.
Highly unlikely......I'd probably even say no chance. Keep in mind the $625,000 you see thrown around for Lucia doesn't include endorsement and media income either which are obviously greater at the U than at any of the other schools mentioned here.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:27 am

O-townClown wrote:

The final part kind of sums up my bewilderment about the fan base for Gopher hockey. Two years ago the complaint for why people didn't watch was the B1G was too weak. Now it is the strongest conference and these same complainers still aren't happy.

Exactly correct O Town. This conference was weak at first. Not so much now.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:12 am

I might have missed this, but one thing I haven't read or heard, is former players coming out in his defense or showing support for Don.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 am

The questions I have are, was he getting the right kids (he seems to get the most hyped from MN every year)? Are the kids spoiled to the point they don't know how to muck and grind? Was Don not capable of getting the kids to work their tails off? Would a different coach have done better with what kids he's gotten?

xy

Post by xy » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 am

mulefarm wrote:I might have missed this, but one thing I haven't read or heard, is former players coming out in his defense or showing support for Don.
https://theathletic.com/281865/2018/03/ ... -memories/ (subscription required, but Vanek, Leopold, and Ballard all have glowing things to say about Lucia in this article).

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:33 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:

I also don't understand the hate for the BTHC. There are some good historic programs in the conference and almost the entire BTHC is former WCHA schools at one point or another. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame all are former WCHA members. So hate the BTHC because of Ohio State and Penn State? Aren't they both in the NCAAs this year? Why hate them?

I get wanting to play UND, SCSU, UMD, and Mankato, that's what a non-conference schedule is for. Then they tried the North Star Cup and that wasn't accepted. I think people were just looking for a reason to be peeved at Gopher hockey and the BTHC provided the excuse they needed.

Just win and bring back the raucous student atmosphere and everything will be great again.

ShakestheClown

Post by ShakestheClown » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 am

If a raucous atmosphere at Mariucci is ever going to happen consistently, the U needs to make the tickets affordable and accessible for students.

A new coach may re-energize the fanbase, but if that fanbase can't afford to get into the game it does no good.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:48 am

I think if they would simply roll UND into the Big Ten much of the griping goes away

Big Ten could use UND but does UND need the Big Ten?

[quote="SCBlueLiner"][quote="grindiangrad-80"][quote="O-townClown"][quote="northwoods oldtimer"][url]http://www.citypages.com/news/what-happ ... am-7960026[/url]
[/quote]

This is a real tough job for whoever takes it.[/quote]

Exactly correct O Town. This conference was weak at first. Not so much now.[/quote]

I also don't understand the hate for the BTHC. There are some good historic programs in the conference and almost the entire BTHC is former WCHA schools at one point or another. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame all are former WCHA members. So hate the BTHC because of Ohio State and Penn State? Aren't they both in the NCAAs this year? Why hate them?

I get wanting to play UND, SCSU, UMD, and Mankato, that's what a non-conference schedule is for. Then they tried the North Star Cup and that wasn't accepted. I think people were just looking for a reason to be peeved at Gopher hockey and the BTHC provided the excuse they needed.

Just win and bring back the raucous student atmosphere and everything will be great again.[/quote]

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
O-townClown wrote:

Just win and bring back the raucous student atmosphere and everything will be great again.
Problem is twofold and both Money moves.
Move to Big 10 impacted fan interest. Same is happening at Wisconsin. Not sure why but it has.
Corporate culture: U of M move to bring in the corporate dollars and treat students as an after thought.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

Don’t hate the B10, but the only school that brings a fan base is Wisconsin. Just not the same as when every year you has the traditional match ups that also included quite a few MN kids that made things more interesting. Don didn’t have anything to do with the Gophers leaving the WCHA. That was the B10 conference.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am

I understand that, but there is nothing stopping the U from scheduling SCSU, UND, etc out of conference. And they do, and people still complain. I went to the Saturday night Wisconsin game this season and it was fun, the students made the atmosphere, but there were a lot of empty seats.

I think the backlash has more to do with the money and the corporate culture and the BTHC is the proxy taking the beating. The schedules are still good. A lot of the same teams are still on them. It's not like it's a steady diet of duds.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:01 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:So hate the BTHC because of Ohio State and Penn State? Aren't they both in the NCAAs this year? Why hate them?
The Illinois AD is trying to add hockey as a varsity sport. They conducted a feasibility study that showed tremendous potential. The state of Illinois currently has zero Division I college programs even though it produces the fourth-most college prospects in the nation. The biggest issue is funding a new arena and then funding the program (including funding off-setting Title IX opportunities for women, not necessarily in hockey but possibly).

"Ice hockey would 'flourish' at University of Illinois, study shows"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... story.html

Feasibility study:
http://fightingillini.com/news/2018/3/8 ... study.aspx

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:06 am

Whoever said “Just win and bring back a raucous crowd” is 100% correct! Mariucci has been a morgue on game nights the last few years and that’s due in large part to tickets being harder to come by for students and the average blue collar fan. B1G Conference has sucked some life out of the arena as well, but that can’t be changed, and hopefully over time fans from all schools will embrace it and potentially create some new rivalries - although it’s obviously tougher to travel to away series in Ohio, MI and PA than St. Cloud, Duluth, or NoDak... The thing the U administration does have control over is the atmosphere at Mariucci - get the students back into the program and that’ll be a huge step in the right direction.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:I understand that, but there is nothing stopping the U from scheduling SCSU, UND, etc out of conference. And they do, and people still complain. I went to the Saturday night Wisconsin game this season and it was fun, the students made the atmosphere, but there were a lot of empty seats.

I think the backlash has more to do with the money and the corporate culture and the BTHC is the proxy taking the beating. The schedules are still good. A lot of the same teams are still on them. It's not like it's a steady diet of duds.
I know they want to play the in state schools each year, but it’s not the same as playing the 4 conference games. The two home and home series that occurred bring helped bring out the dislike for each other, including the fans. Like when the Wild play St Louis or Colorado , compared to Carolina or Toronto. I agree that they have to get the students back! Very boring arena!

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:47 am

JerseyDave wrote:
SCBlueLiner wrote:So hate the BTHC because of Ohio State and Penn State? Aren't they both in the NCAAs this year? Why hate them?
The Illinois AD is trying to add hockey as a varsity sport. They conducted a feasibility study that showed tremendous potential. The state of Illinois currently has zero Division I college programs even though it produces the fourth-most college prospects in the nation. The biggest issue is funding a new arena and then funding the program (including funding off-setting Title IX opportunities for women, not necessarily in hockey but possibly).

Feasibility study:
Thanks for the links. These stats are pretty incredible.

"Illinois has the sixth-highest youth hockey participation in the nation (22,373 in 2017), an increase of nearly 300 percent since 1993, the study stated. The state produces the fourth-most Division I hockey players in the country, with 85 players on Division I rosters this year."

We have a hockey program at Arizona State, but cannot find a way to get one going in Illinois?
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:58 am

ryguyMN wrote:
JerseyDave wrote:

Feasibility study:
Thanks for the links. These stats are pretty incredible.

"Illinois has the sixth-highest youth hockey participation in the nation (22,373 in 2017), an increase of nearly 300 percent since 1993, the study stated. The state produces the fourth-most Division I hockey players in the country, with 85 players on Division I rosters this year."

We have a hockey program at Arizona State, but cannot find a way to get one going in Illinois?
Illinois State economy is a complete mess thanks to Obama liberals.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/29/investi ... index.html

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:00 am

Correct gopherpuck516, however it won't be easy. As I stated earlier you will not only need administration or coaches to bring in fans by winning but you will also need some characters in the locker room. Other athletes on campus have access to hockey games if they choose to go. Some do but a lot don't, there are so many choices at a big ten school. They have to get the regular, average and just as important STUDENTS to go to a hockey game. The admin can help by making it cheaper and the players can help by getting fellow classmates on board with how great hockey is. Everyone needs to be involved which is why a few character clowns who happen to be great hockey players are very important as a well. I know some guys who are National D1 champs and State champs and they are the biggest clowns you could ever meet and I mean that in a good way, everyone was on board with their vibe. STEM nerds watch out! hockey goofball coming to a class near you.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:14 am

Some thoughts from a Gopher Alum who has been a season ticket holder since 1984.

1. Declining attendance for college hockey is not just here at the UofM. It's everywhere. Have you watched any of the regional tournaments in the past 3 years. Nobody goes to them.
2. Wisconsin hockey attendance had a nice rebound after they changed coaches to Granato. I expect the same to happen to MN.
3. Students have 2 1/2 of the best sections assigned to them at Mariucci arena. The prices for students tickets is not that bad. They usually come in droves early in the season, and then dwindle as the season progresses.
4. The atmosphere at the U is terrible. They need to let the band play more to get the fans involved. "Lets get weird" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
5. The seat license fee drove a lot of the fans away from renewing season tickets. Add to that, the change to the Big10 and people got frustrated and left. As expected, Big10 hockey has improved every year since its inception. Penn State and Ohio State are now very competitive, and Michigan has recovered from a down year or two. Michigan St is the one team that worries me. But every conference has teams that struggle consistently.
6. Compete level has been lacking at the UofM for some time now. I don't know if its the kids being recruited, or the coaches coaching them. But either way, that is on the coaching staff and changes needed to be made.
7. They need a fresh start and Guentzel is not the answer. I haven't been impressed with the defensive play of this team for several years.
8. I'm hoping Ward will get the job. He's an alum that played for the U. He's got recruiting and coaching experience, and he will have a new perspective.
9. For those that don't think Motzko or Sandelin wouldn't take the U job if offered are nuts. $$$$ talks boys and those Junior college's can't come close to what the U can offer. The problem is, neither played for the U and that is what the Alumni are pushing for. Heck, I think Rholik would be a good hire too, but he played for the hated Badgers.

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:38 am

Some of your points are right on but please remember

1. Gopher hockey has to compete against the Wild now in terms of money and attention. That is not easy....Again free tickets for the students. There is no good reason why they shouldn't get free tickets. I heard that the previous AD who was fired required hockey tickets to be bought in conjunction with football tickets. If that is the case then we made the right decision to fire that clown. The student section is the key to bring energy back to the arena

2. We need a process to take back season tickets for long standing absentee. I had season tickets for 8 years and I remember the 4 seats in front of me sat vacant for 90 percent of the games

3. Sell beer...Simply put, it's time

4. Shrink the ice....Again...it's time

5. Get UND on the schedule every year..Figure that out. Can't be that tough

6. Get the right people on board who can work their magic with the Big 10 on the many many scheduling and tv issues they have..

7. Hire the best coach...I don't care if he went to Crookston community college..But don't hire a snake oil salesman the like football team tried years ago

8. Get hockey associations to every game. No reason 10-15 youth teams couldn't be at each home game.

9. Get better at recruiting the right 20 kids not the 20 best.

10. Get better in the PR and social media business. Fake Don Lucia was awesome and even Lucia got a kick out him. He was fair, he wasn't mean and he, in his own little weird way, represented gopher hockey in a positive fun way

highgloveside

Post by highgloveside » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:48 am

Very good points by both you Fellas. Or Gals or Gal? Girls watch and play too! Speaking of that, maybe ask Frost who he would like to have an office near? Hendrickson would be a stellar choice? just sayin.

ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:03 pm

I think the decline of interest in the Gophers hockey program has a lot to do on the TV side as well. There was a familiarity lost going to the Big Ten. In the WCHA days, you could tune in every Friday and Saturday night to Fox Sports North at 7 pm, and the Gophers would be playing (unless the team was in Alaska). Now with the addition of games played on Sunday, at different times, and more networks in the mix (BTN, FSN+, etc.), it's difficult for the casual fan to follow.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy