Gopher new coach

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Puckguy19

Post by Puckguy19 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:42 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Curious how Minnesota decided with Petino, Fleck, and Whalen to go with young coaches.......but decides in hockey to go with AARP eligible Motzko.
I would say it is largely due to the fact that Minnesota is not an attractive destination for coaches in those other sports, so they have to take more of a chance on less proven coaches and hope they strike gold (no pun intended). Also, it just happened to be that there weren’t any great options for younger coaches in the men’s hockey search.
I believe there were (are) a number of great options from the pool of younger coaches, but it just wasn't the right time.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:29 am

Stang5280 wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Curious how Minnesota decided with Petino, Fleck, and Whalen to go with young coaches.......but decides in hockey to go with AARP eligible Motzko.
I would say it is largely due to the fact that Minnesota is not an attractive destination for coaches in those other sports, so they have to take more of a chance on less proven coaches and hope they strike gold (no pun intended). Also, it just happened to be that there weren’t any great options for younger coaches in the men’s hockey search.
I disagree with this all my being. The Big10 network alone makes the conference a draw. Across sports they draw; Cael Sanderson at Penn State, Urban Meyer at tOSU. There a ton of young hockey coaches, the USHL is full of them so are other D-1hockey programs.

I like Motzko, but if the U is going young in coaches.....and they are why go with a guy like Motzko who is not a decade long answer?

Look, I hate Fleck and am among those who assume he will fail. Pitino can coach but has been hampered by injuries. I think Whalen will attract in state talent but also do not think that will be enough. Motzko doesn't have a great track record by U hockey standards. I hope he succeeds but won't put $10 on it in Las Vegas this fall.