Gophers Hockey 2019 - 2020

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BodyShots

Gophers Hockey 2019 - 2020

Post by BodyShots » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:19 pm

Appears to be a very young squad this year with 11 Freshman and 8 Sophomores. I got a chance to see them Friday on TV and Saturday at 3M Arena and came away very excited for the future. I like the compete level and given some time to get their feet wet, I think they will return the Gophers to the NCAA tournament. But with all young teams, there will be some growing pains as well.

I read somewhere that they are the youngest team in college hockey, but also the biggest team weight wise. I was shocked to see how big Jaxon Nelson was, and guys like Lacombe, Reedy, Brodzinski, Ranta, and Meyers all look very solid. Johnson and Lacombe are very skilled offensive defensemen and can move the puck. Now we just got to find some more players outside of Walker that can bury the biscuit.

BodyShots

Re: Gophers Hockey 2019 - 2020

Post by BodyShots » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:15 pm

416 Views and not 1 comment. :? :roll:

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 am

If you have more than two kids coming straight from high school or high senior age (coming from juniors) to play college, your team is in trouble...UMD being the exception when they squeaked in on the pairwise the last day and with a few young defensemen did well. example, Brinkman/Brodz are good hockey players. They will still be a good hockey players this year and next year...but look at their contribution thus far. I'd take a 21 year old over them in a second. They should have played juniors for one or two years. I'm a big Gopher fan but they still haven't turned it around with the recruits and timing of the recruits entering college. It's tough to be Motzko or any College coach as some players won't choose your school if you don't let them come in as an 18 year-old. Buyer beware if you let that dictate your squad. GB

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 am

One other thought as the timing is right. See Penn State; Old squad and players who play college for four years. That is the recipe for success. I'm not a Penn State fan but boy, they have a good squad. There are a lot of talented players playing NAHL and USHL who are 19 20 year old's that continue to improve there game. The trick is to get them and obviously the right ones...mixed in with one super star CM that plays one year and leaves. GB

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:56 am

All very good points that I agree with GB. Brodz looks like a Bantam hockey player out there so far. He looks lost in all 3 zones and his skating looks a step (or two) slower than everybody else. Unless a high school player has exceptional skating ability, they should play a year or two of juniors.

I watched Friday's game on TV and attended Saturday's game in person. That Penn State team is very good. They have size, speed, and tenacity. I love the way they play. Their D join the rush on the offensive side, and their forward's back check with abandon. They get numerous odd man rushes and always get a quality shot. Their PP was impressive as well. Several weak side tap-ins to empty nets.

One question. How does Clayton Phillips get to transfer and play right away? Don't college hockey players have to sit out a year after transferring?

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:32 pm

BodyShots wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:56 am
All very good points that I agree with GB. Brodz looks like a Bantam hockey player out there so far. He looks lost in all 3 zones and his skating looks a step (or two) slower than everybody else. Unless a high school player has exceptional skating ability, they should play a year or two of juniors.

I watched Friday's game on TV and attended Saturday's game in person. That Penn State team is very good. They have size, speed, and tenacity. I love the way they play. Their D join the rush on the offensive side, and their forward's back check with abandon. They get numerous odd man rushes and always get a quality shot. Their PP was impressive as well. Several weak side tap-ins to empty nets.

One question. How does Clayton Phillips get to transfer and play right away? Don't college hockey players have to sit out a year after transferring?
Steady there BD....You have to remember that Penn State is in the Big10 and playing the Rodents. 8)

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:19 am

WOW, is that defensive zone coverage brutal. Not many teams can win games giving up 8 or 9 goals every game.

I'm disappointed in what I am seeing with Lacombe and Johnson in the de zone. I think Lacombe has more turnovers than completed passes.