2007 Minnesota Twins

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

EREmpireStrikesBack

2007 Minnesota Twins

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Spring training starts today against the BoSox @ 6:05pm.

Projected opening day lineup:

1B: Justin Morneau
2B: Luis Castillo
3B: Nick Punto
SS: Jason Bartlett
LF: Rondell White
CF: Torii Hunter
RF: Michael Cuddyer
DH: Jason Kubel

SP: Johan Santana
SP: Boof Bonser
SP: Carlos Silva
SP: Matt Garza? Sidney Ponson?
SP: Scott Baker? Ramon Ortiz?

Anyone have any differences?

I leave for Ft. Myers on Saturday and can't wait to watch. I'll keep ya updated :wink:

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Govs93

Re: 2007 Minnesota Twins

Post by Govs93 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote: SP: Johan Santana
SP: Boof Bonser
SP: Carlos Silva
SP: Matt Garza? Sidney Ponson?
SP: Scott Baker? Ramon Ortiz?

Anyone have any differences?

I would hope that the only difference would be:

Santana
Bonser
Silva
Garza
Ponson/Ortiz/Baker

I think Garza's pretty much established himself as #4, hasn't he? I would think the only spot up the air would be (better be) #5.

I also hope everything they're saying about Kubel dropping weight and getting his knees in shape is true. I'd hate to have him go down again and then have to deal with the Tyner/Ford/White rotation of DH & LF (now you'd also probably have to throw Matt LeCroy into the DH mix too :evil: ). I'm not thrilled with Kubel as a full-time DH, but if he stays healthy, it'll at least be a stable position for a change.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

I guess Kubel would not be my first choice at DH either. Do we still have Phil Nevin? LeCroy is the third catcher, third 1B and pinch hitter in a tie game in late innings. IMO. Good guy though.
I think Garza has shown enough that he should get a lot of consideration for the fourth and especially the fifth spot, especially with the visa problems Ponson has.
What is the deall with Ramon Ortiz? I know about the lieing about his age and dealing with the death of his father, but can he be a factor?
I saw we locked up Jesse Crain for three years.
EREmpireStrikesBack

We don't have Phillie Nevin, he's a FA. And Garza's ERA was 5.76 last year, I don't think you can entrench him in the #4 spot just yet.

Last edited by EREmpireStrikesBack on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Gardy said in an interview that Graza will likely start the year in AAA.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:We don't have Phillie Nevin, he's a FA. And Garza's ERA was 5.76 last year, I don't think you can entrench him in the #4 spot just yet.

True, but you have to remember how bad he got shelled in his first start against Toronto (wasn't it something like 6 runs in 2 innings or something?). Throw that game out, and his ERA is quite a bit lower.

I'm not necessarily saying he doesn't have to prove himself, but IMO, he's probably the most promising option at #4 at this point. I suppose Ortiz could go to #4 and Garza to #5, but I'm pretty sure Ponson will blow his chance (either by on field performance, or off field "activities"), and Baker has shown no sign of consistency.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

I thought Baker would have been part of an offseason or deadline trade.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

State Champ 97 wrote:I thought Baker would have been part of an offseason or deadline trade.
I think the MLB GMs were seeing the same thing we were!

We're in the wrong business.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

My bet would be that Garza doesn't start the season in the rotation, and most likely will be in AAA. He has great potential, but Gardy likes veterans more than young talent, something that his hurt this team in the past and would be my main criticism of Gardy. Garza also is battling a sore neck and headaches early in camp, but he is starting the game tonight.

My Thoughts on the Opening Day Lineup:

1-Luis Castillo-2B
2-Nick Punto-3B
3-Joe Mauer-C
4-Michael Cuddyer-RF
5-Justin Morneau-1B
6-Torri Hunter-CF
7-Rondell White-LF
8-Jason Kubel-DH
9-Jason Bartlett-SS

Bench:
Mike Redmond
Lew Ford
Jason Tyner
Alexi Casilla
Matt LeCroy

Rotation:

1-Johan Santana
2-Boof Bonser
3-Carlos Silva
4-Ramon Ortiz
5-Glen Perkins/Scott Baker

Bullpen:

Jesse Crain
Juan Rincon
Pat Neshek
Matt Guerrier
Dennys Reyes
J.D Durbin
Joe Nathan
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Since Ponson can't seem to get his paperwork filled out right I wouldn't be surprised to see Garza in the rotation.
Lew Ford may need knee surgery.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

State Champ 97 wrote:Since Ponson can't seem to get his paperwork filled out right I wouldn't be surprised to see Garza in the rotation.
Lew Ford may need knee surgery.
I hadn't heard that, but I almost hope you're right. It may open a door at some point (probably not to start the season) to get Denard Span up. He's going to need to get some some playing time with the big club this season, because I have feeling he's going to be seeing a whole bunch of time in 2008.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

It didn't sound too serious. He is suppose to miss the rest of spring training or something if he has it.
EREmpireStrikesBack

State Champ 97 wrote:It didn't sound too serious. He is suppose to miss the rest of spring training or something if he has it.
Arthroscopic?

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Yeah, here is the headline from today's Star-Trib.

Twins outfielder Lew Ford had arthroscopic surgery this winter to fix his left knee. Now he might be headed for surgery on his right knee and could miss the rest of spring training.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

State Champ 97 wrote:Yeah, here is the headline from today's Star-Trib.

Twins outfielder Lew Ford had arthroscopic surgery this winter to fix his left knee. Now he might be headed for surgery on his right knee and could miss the rest of spring training.
Considering the only thing Ford has going for him is good speed, I'm hoping this is his death sentence with the Twins.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Ford going down is the reason they re-acquired Quinten McCracken during Rochester's playoff drive last year.

See all those seemingly questionable moves to build depth on the JV may actually help the varsity.

Not.

It's good to have the Twins back isn't it!
TomTheBomb

Post by TomTheBomb »

That's pretty harsh, how could anyone bad mouth Weird Lew? He didn't have the best bat last year, but other than that he's an all around stellar player. He has had his share of clutch hits, he batted .300 two years ago I believe, he's classified in my books. At the very least as a rotating utility guy.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

TomTheBomb wrote:That's pretty harsh, how could anyone bad mouth Weird Lew? He didn't have the best bat last year, but other than that he's an all around stellar player. He has had his share of clutch hits, he batted .300 two years ago I believe, he's classified in my books. At the very least as a rotating utility guy.
He hit .299 in 2004 in what was a fluke career year. Since then he has dropped to .264 and then .226. His slugging percentage these past two years has been atrocious. He offers no power playing positions where power is important, and strikes out way too much for somebody who isn't producing power numbers. He's an undisciplined hitter, and he doesn't steal nearly enough bases for somebody with his speed. I'm probably a little bit harsher on him than most, but I just can't stand seeing him in our lineup.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

Blue Breeze wrote:I'm probably a little bit harsher on him than most, but I just can't stand seeing him in our lineup.
AMEN! If BB is being a bit too harsh, that makes 2 of us. Lew Ford is an extremely nice person(I've met him a few times), but I'd rather see someone with some upside in our lineup as a utility player.
schwang17

Post by schwang17 »

State Champ 97 wrote:I thought Baker would have been part of an offseason or deadline trade.
I only wish. Washington was said to be in the running for him last year, but I believe the Twins wanted Soriano as part of the deal. Apparently, the Twins weren't offering enough for Washington's liking.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Tie BoSox 4-4 in 10 innings. Mauer & Rondell looked good at the plate. Garza was good, Baker not so good.

Morris Wanchuk

guys

Post by Morris Wanchuk »

Am I wrong or has LeCroy been gone for a year or more...We didn't re-sign that bum did we? he made frank robinson cry.....right?
:wink:
TomTheBomb

Re: guys

Post by TomTheBomb »

Morris Wanchuk wrote:Am I wrong or has LeCroy been gone for a year or more...We didn't re-sign that bum did we? he made frank robinson cry.....right?
:wink:
He spent last year with the Montreal Expos. We did resign him. The Twins think he's a good personality to have around, and as long as that's all, I'm ok with it.

P.S. For those of you signed up for fantasy baseball with us, he's a hot sleeper pick. I recommend picking him high in the draft.
Morris Wanchuk

great

Post by Morris Wanchuk »

thanks for the tip!!!!
:lol:
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

schwang17 wrote:
Blue Breeze wrote:I'm probably a little bit harsher on him than most, but I just can't stand seeing him in our lineup.
AMEN! If BB is being a bit too harsh, that makes 2 of us. Lew Ford is an extremely nice person(I've met him a few times), but I'd rather see someone with some upside in our lineup as a utility player.
I am not a fan of Ford either. One thing I can't figure out, (Yes there are many things I can't figure out) is why does he get one of the loudest ovations when he comes to the plate outside of Mauer and Hunter? The fans at the Metrodome for the most part love this guy. He plays hard and all but that is how the Twins are taught to play. What's the deal?