Randy Moss

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockyman08

Randy Moss

Post by hockyman08 »

He was traded to today to New England for a 4th round pick, what are your guys thoughts on this move?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6753656
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

The Patriots got screwed in that deal.
boblee

post 7822

Post by boblee »

Sorry Mr. Russel. You have no receivers.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

The Pats improved themselves. Moss for a fourth rounder- he is certainly worth that gamble. If he is healthy, just being on the field is worth a couple of wins. If he has a Moss like year catching passes, I would consider NE the favorite to go all the way. I am happy to see him get that opportunity. In my opinion, Moss has created as much excitement for Minnesota fans as anyone in any sport. I will always appreciate what he did for the Viking franchise. Go Randy. :)
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

In order for a WR to be productive you have to have a QB that can get him the ball and an OL that will give that QB some time. The Raiders didn't have that and the Patriots do. New England just became the odds on favorite to win the AFC. They also have a locker room that will keep Moss in check. (to a point) The Raiders don't.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:The Pats improved themselves. Moss for a fourth rounder- he is certainly worth that gamble. If he is healthy, just being on the field is worth a couple of wins. If he has a Moss like year catching passes, I would consider NE the favorite to go all the way. I am happy to see him get that opportunity. In my opinion, Moss has created as much excitement for Minnesota fans as anyone in any sport. I will always appreciate what he did for the Viking franchise. Go Randy. :)
I concurr. Like him or hate him he changes the game everytime he's on the field. Maroney will go nuts with the free safety doubling Moss every down. The rich got richer. Aint America great.
SotaH0ck14

Post by SotaH0ck14 »

couldn't agree with you more neutron
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Maroney, Brady, Moss

Looks like an offence that can compete with the Colts for tops in the AFC...if they can keep Moss in check.
The U invented swagger.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Neut, State Champ & grindian are right on the money. Pats didn't give up much to get him and he WILL perform in their O. He won't have a problem staying in line (he didn't in MN as long as he had people that were above him) and the Pats have plenty of vets that will put him in his place.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

New England is probably one of the better places for him to succeed, and I think he will have a certain modicum of success, but I can't see him being a Pro-Bowler that some have tabbed him as for this season. He really thrived when Denny Green was in Minnesota and just let Moss sprint downfield while Cunningham, Culpepper, George threw up for him to grab. In an offense like New England's, that's not going to be the case and his route running is going to hurt him at times. Still think he is an asset to the Pats thanks to his threat, but I think his hamstring injuries and unwillingness to go over the middle will limit his numbers.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

You're right, Moss' hamstring is the key. If it's good he'll be a force.

Randy isn't done and he isn't old yet. I don't recall any criticizms of him going over the middle his first few years in the league. With Moss' hands, speed, and leaping ability he can be a star again even if the guts are absent.

As for Moss' time in Minnesota, he was the reason they had as many prime time and 3pm games as they did. The Vikes were pumped into homes all over the country because of him and him alone.
Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:You're right, Moss' hamstring is the key. If it's good he'll be a force.

Randy isn't done and he isn't old yet. I don't recall any criticizms of him going over the middle his first few years in the league. With Moss' hands, speed, and leaping ability he can be a star again even if the guts are absent.

As for Moss' time in Minnesota, he was the reason they had as many prime time and 3pm games as they did. The Vikes were pumped into homes all over the country because of him and him alone.
The criticisms weren't there because he didn't need to, he was so dominant downfield that he didn't need the field. Now that he's a bit older, he'll need to do it more often. Due to his freakish athleticism though, he might be able to survive without it.

Moss was great for the Vikes and he's a huge ticket like you said.
Irishmans Shanty

You have to admire the Pats.

They get Dante Stallworth in free agency and make a trade to get Moss.

What do teams like the Vikes not understand about getting the personnel you need to win.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:You have to admire the Pats.

What do teams like the Vikes not understand about getting the personnel you need to win.
You got something against Bobby Wade?!?! :evil:
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Govs93 wrote:
Irishmans Shanty wrote:You have to admire the Pats.

You got something against Bobby Wade?!?! :evil:
No, I think he is talking about getting a #2 WR. He knows that Bobby is a pure #1.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

prediction for randy:
52 catches-brady spreads ball around too much-
9 tds-still will be big target near goaline or in red zone.
also will only be time b4 randy goes off at the mouth and THE BILL says he is done
wish him well though--i actually liked him when he was here and some of the things he did(though wrong) were pretty funny.

ie. mooning packer fans, taking a ride from some guy he didn't even know after he was let out of the clink and the quote "straight cash homey"
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

DannyCalifornia wrote:prediction for randy:
52 catches-brady spreads ball around too much-
9 tds-still will be big target near goaline or in red zone.
also will only be time b4 randy goes off at the mouth and THE BILL says he is done
wish him well though--i actually liked him when he was here and some of the things he did(though wrong) were pretty funny.

ie. mooning packer fans, taking a ride from some guy he didn't even know after he was let out of the clink and the quote "straight cash homey"
Brady had to spread the ball around because he didn't have anybody to be a go to receiver. I'm guessing Moss will catch 70-80 balls. Maroney will still be a big factor defenses have to worry about.
DannyCalifornia

Post by DannyCalifornia »

agree on Maroney
Brady had D.Branch who was pretty good, but i think their offense is just geared that way in that no matter who they have he will spread around the passes, but i guess we'll see
boblee

post 7903

Post by boblee »

It sounds like Moss going to New England got a razzing out of Brett Favre.
regdunlop77

character vs talent

Post by regdunlop77 »

Moss is blessed with Hall of Fame talent. He is an example of character being more important than talent. Maybe he can turn things around with his new team. It will be interesting to watch.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Assuming he is healthy, his career will be revived at NE.

I thnk Randy, in some instances, got what he deserved and in other cases, there was much to do about nothing.

He walked of the field ahead of his teamates before the game was over. Cant do that.

He said " I play when I want to play". So what? I always took that as a sarcastic reply to dumbship questions from reporters.

He mock mooned the GB fans. I thought that was hilarious but I knew the story behind it. Even the GB fans that I know who got the joke thought it was funny. Was it a little inapropriate for nat'l TV ? It was. Joe Buck didnt get it. But so what?

I think he will do real well in NE, if healthy.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

packerboy wrote:Assuming he is healthy, his career will be revived at NE.

I thnk Randy, in some instances, got what he deserved and in other cases, there was much to do about nothing.

He walked of the field ahead of his teamates before the game was over. Cant do that.

He said " I play when I want to play". So what? I always took that as a sarcastic reply to dumbship questions from reporters.

He mock mooned the GB fans. I thought that was hilarious but I knew the story behind it. Even the GB fans that I know who got the joke thought it was funny. Was it a little inapropriate for nat'l TV ? It was. Joe Buck didnt get it. But so what?

I think he will do real well in NE, if healthy.
You appear to be correct pb.

after 4 games - 31 receptions, 505 yds and 7 TD's

lemme see, 16 games, public math and all.... 124/2020/28

For a 4th rounder.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
Irishmans Shanty

When the Pats acquired Moss I heard Ditka say that he "wouldn't want anything to do with him." It is this thinking that causes the coaches who fail to fail. They are too stubborn or too arrogant to do what is really needed. They're blinded by their own X's, O's, philosophies, and convictions to adapt.

Moss by himself is worthless, but put him in an environment where the QB or the coach's authority is already established because of past success and Moss will make a good offense, a devastating one. There are at least five other teams where Moss would be thriving and what I find funny is Green Bay is one of them. Favre knew what Belichick knew, but GB management was to stubborn to go get him.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:When the Pats acquired Moss I heard Ditka say that he "wouldn't want anything to do with him." It is this thinking that causes the coaches who fail to fail. They are too stubborn or too arrogant to do what is really needed. They're blinded by their own X's, O's, philosophies, and convictions to adapt.
I'm glad we don't have a coach like that. With Moss in the line-up, even a cast off RB rushed for 117 yds.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
Irishmans Shanty

New Viking Coach, Brad Child-
ress discusses his philosophy,
one based on openess, adaptation,
and group consensus.