High School Football

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Govs93

High School Football

Post by Govs93 »

The first high school football games kick off 2 weeks from Friday... is anybody into it enough to give any insight on what to look for? Is it the usual Eden Prairie, Cretin, Wayzta, etc? Any players of note?
tomASS

Re: High School Football

Post by tomASS »

Govs93 wrote:The first high school football games kick off 2 weeks from Friday... is anybody into it enough to give any insight on what to look for? Is it the usual Eden Prairie, Cretin, Wayzta, etc? Any players of note?
oh you're talking American Football.........the sport where they need to take a break every 15 seconds to organize their thoughts and plans........that football? The sport where substitutions are common place and players typically play only one way? The sport that they actually use their hands more than their feet but still call it football? I was thinking world football for a second.

My bad, I was almost all over the topic :wink: :wink: :wink:

PS - just getting back for all the field faries comments I hear from friends.

:D
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

tomASS wrote:
Govs93 wrote:The first high school football games kick off 2 weeks from Friday... is anybody into it enough to give any insight on what to look for? Is it the usual Eden Prairie, Cretin, Wayzta, etc? Any players of note?
oh you're talking American Football.........the sport where they need to take a break every 15 seconds to organize their thoughts and plans........that football? The sport where substitutions are common place and players typically play only one way? The sport that they actually use their hands more than their feet but still call it football? I was thinking world football for a second.

I'd say there are few that have beat beatin on ya pretty hard about it...and it's Grass fairies :P

8)
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Brainerd and Moorhead will be strong in the northwest.
Bemidji will be competitive - new coach last year seems to have the kids motivated.
Tough to compete with the big suburbs, though.

tomASS - emphasis on the ass????? :D
'fairies' - although I am not by any definition a 'soccer' fan, the kids I know are not 'fairies', not always the greatest athletes, but not bad either.
It is not the players, its the game, just too boring to watch. Playing is probably another matter.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

elliott70 wrote:
Brainerd and Moorhead will be strong in the northwest.
Bemidji will be competitive - new coach last year seems to have the kids motivated.
Tough to compete with the big suburbs, though.

tomASS - emphasis on the ass????? :D
'fairies' - although I am not by any definition a 'soccer' fan, the kids I know are not 'fairies', not always the greatest athletes, but not bad either.
It is not the players, its the game, just too boring to watch. Playing is probably another matter.
Image Foul!!! profanity your done! :lol: :lol:

Exactly, it's a blast to play if you have the iron lung, but IMO it is very hard to enjoy watching even your own kids play.
The Fairy thing is just to piss them off...most play other sports, but for some reason they just get razzed for this one...I do it to my own...knowing full well I couldn't last 10min. playing.

8)
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

tomASS wrote:

Correct... American football. I was not referring to the 22 people on the "pitch" cleverly fooling millions of people around the world into thinking they're playing a "game" when in fact they're essentially running a half marathon and/or writhing around on the ground after stubbing their toes on a thin plastic/foam shin guard for an hour and a half. ;)

American football, yes.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

I also need to correct myself here... games start 2 weeks from Thursday not Friday.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

never heard the grass fairies one, always the field fairies.

Gov93- very nice :) - yeah some of the players from certain countries (France, Portugal, Italy) have a habit of trying to be too Hollywood about their injuries that's why you step on them again just to make sure.

I have always thought that unless you grew up playing the sport it was hard to watch. That I can appreciate and understand why many still do not enjoy watching the game.

Just thought I would have fun this Monday Am after just getting back from HS tryouts this AM.

elliot70 - you should know it is always on the latter in my name.
boblee

post 8198

Post by boblee »

Grand Rapids will likely not repeat as 7AAAA Champs.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Just a head's up that FSN will have STA vs. AHA this Thursday at 7:00, and Crystal Clear Sports will stream 6 games between Thursday & Friday:

Thursday
Irondale @ Spring Lake Park
Jefferson @ Eden Prairie
Rochester Century @ Wayzta (I may be at that one unless Mrs. Govs wants to go to the Fair)

Friday
Columbia Heights @ Tonino Grace
Faribault @ Becker
Coon Rapids @ Maple Grove
boblee

post 8224

Post by boblee »

Grand Rapids will host Menominee, Wisc. Thursday in their home opener.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

FSN Football Schedule:
Aug. 30, Holy Angels at St Thomas
Sept. 6, St. Cloud Tech at Sartell
Sept. 13, Farmington at Hutchinson
Sept. 20, Roseville at Mounds View
Oct. 5, Minnetonka at Eden Prairie
Oct. 11, Totino Grace at Mahtomedi
Oct. 17, TBA

These should all be great games. I'm from the cities, as it seems many of you are, but would you watch if they aired games of top AAA, AA, A and even 9-man teams?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Govs93 wrote:Just a head's up that FSN will have STA vs. AHA this Thursday at 7:00, and Crystal Clear Sports will stream 6 games between Thursday & Friday:

Thursday
Irondale @ Spring Lake Park
Jefferson @ Eden Prairie
Rochester Century @ Wayzta (I may be at that one unless Mrs. Govs wants to go to the Fair)

Friday
Columbia Heights @ Tonino Grace
Faribault @ Becker
Coon Rapids @ Maple Grove
Partially scratch this... looks like CCS is charging $10 per night this season.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Govs93 wrote: Partially scratch this... looks like CCS is charging $10 per night this season.
:shock:
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Who do they think they are? The New York Jets?

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Who do they think they are? The New York Jets?

:idea:
You've been gone for how many days and thats the best you can do?
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

For whatever it's worth, I think it kind of sucks that they're charging now... although I don't imagine that it's not a cheap site to run, so I get it.

I did actually watch quite a few games on CCS last season, and it was kind of cool to see - it's a great idea. I also went out of my way to click on a bunch of the ads they have on the site, which is something I don't generally do. Having an awareness of the cost involved, I thought it was the least I could do... I actually went to so far as to actually patronize one of the business that advertized on there - Joey Nova's (very good pizza, btw).

I'll be curious to see how many people they get paying for online viewing. My guess is that it won't be too many from week-to-week.
boblee

post 8293

Post by boblee »

Detroit Lakes 48
Grand Rapids 7
Indians forever

Re: post 8293

Post by Indians forever »

boblee wrote:Detroit Lakes 48
Grand Rapids 7
Bob, did Rapids leave there legs on the bus???
boblee

post 8294

Post by boblee »

DL was a very good team.
rbk24

Post by rbk24 »

if you ask me kennedy is making a huge run this year i belive they will go 7-1 losing to EP
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

the pioneers may go 0-8
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Yeah, what did Hill lose from what they had last year? Are there any Ottos left?

Any chance Cretin or EP will lose this year?
sachishi4

Post by sachishi4 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Yeah, what did Hill lose from what they had last year? Are there any Ottos left?

Any chance Cretin or EP will lose this year?
just the otto girl is left. I dont see her lacing them up but she could.
Our team is that bad.

we had about 5 returning people from last year. 2 of our captains went out with concussions from this season and every big name position on the team is a rookie in there.
rbkhockey

Post by rbkhockey »

rbk24 wrote:if you ask me kennedy is making a huge run this year i belive they will go 7-1 losing to EP
k your obviosuly from Kennedy. you knew who some of their players were for hockey. and quit frankly noone knows who they are. and also, you seem to know a lot about them also.