MLB Playoffs

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
Govs93 wrote:
packerboy wrote:Play ball!

You heard it here first: Four years form now Game 1 will be here in the new ball park..........and we will freeze our axes off.
I've already got my seats, I enjoy coffee and I own a coat. You won't hear me complain.
We all know what will be in that coffee.

:idea:
What the hell are you talking about?

Oh, that.
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

Govs93 wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
Govs93 wrote: I've already got my seats, I enjoy coffee and I own a coat. You won't hear me complain.
We all know what will be in that coffee.

:idea:
What the hell are you talking about?

Oh, that.
Don't ruin it with coffee :x Just a few cubes and your good to go! :D
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

AngusYoung wrote:The Bosox have to cool down at some point and this evening will be it. Look for the Rockies to get over the "opening night jitters" and respond with a solid effort to tie this series - at least I hope so. It's getting a bit old watching the Sox players round the bases and celebrate, although I have to admit they have put on an unprecedented performance over the past four games. With the wave the Rockies had been riding, it is unfortunate they had the week off - I'm sure they would have loved to play the Sox right away.

AY 8)
I was a little embarrassed for the Rockies last night. The pitching was really bad. You cant picth that team up in that ballpark unless you are Nolan Ryan in his prime.

I give the Sox credit but some of those pitches, I could have hit(well, maybe not).

When they weren't throwin BP fastballs, it was ball 4.

We have discussed this before on this fine forum but I dont think the Rockies pitchers are used to gong up against this kind of batting order.
The NL lineups dont look like the Sox.

Home field advantage is most important for the AL team not because of location but because of the DH. The AL teams have one. The NL teams are like the Twins.

The guy the Rockies have on the hill tonight doesnt figure to cool off BOS.

The Rockies will have to hit the boofin ball to win. They should be able to do that off ole bloody ankle. Will it be enough?

I say Bos goes out west with a 2-0 lead.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

I'd just like to say that the AL is a far superior league than the NL.

How do I know this?

1) the World Series thus far

2) the Twins best stretch of games this year occured during interleague play.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I agree.

The top teamsin the NL just dont have the depth in the batting order that the top AL teams do, even if you throw out the DH.

One thing tht struck me is how thin the starting rotations are fr the playoff teams.

The Twins rotaton and bullpen easily matches up with any in baseball. Get some boofin hitters.

So, if you are Francona, who do you sit?
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:I'd just like to say that the AL is a far superior league than the NL.

How do I know this?

1) the World Series thus far

2) the Twins best stretch of games this year occured during interleague play.
I think the biggest difference is the DH as packerboy alluded to above. Either Youkilis or Ortiz is going to be on the bench in Colorado and that's a big hole in the Red Sox lineup. Meanwhile, the Rockies' DH is hitting 9th and is currently 0-5 with 3 strikeouts.

Both of these teams seem to be built to order for their respective leagues and ballparks and it should be interesting to see how much things change when the Series moves out to Denver. It wouldn't shock me to see the Rockies win three straight and then lose the last two in Boston.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I dont think they will sit Big Pappi.

If Youk can play third, Id sit Lowell.

Speaking of Lowell. The Bosox are going to need pitching. Schilling is about done. They need GMtana.

GMtana for Lowell , The kid in center, and the Japanese relief pitcher.
Is that doable?
Irishmans Shanty

The Sox are deep enough to win with Youkilis or Ortiz on the bench. Keep Lowell at 3B. At 1B I'd start Youkilis in game 3 and sit Ortiz, then flop it for game 4. Ortiz and Youkilis are a couple of good late inning bats coming of the bench. This is the reason why Boston wins the WS. The Rockies just don't have the offensive thunder in the lineup or help off the bench to beat the AL champion at what they do best.

I'd move GMtana for Lowell, the Japenese reliever, and the young CF, no question about it and I'd sleep well tonight despite my bad back.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

How about JD Drew in CF , Youk in Rf, and sit Moonlight Graham.
Irishmans Shanty

Francona knows what these guys can do defensively, I don't know if you play three guys out of position just to get all their bats in the order together. I'm an offense first type guy, but I doubt Francona has used the configuration you suggest through their first 171 games this season. If not I wouldn't do it here.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

And the problem is that they never experiment because they have to play to win every game.

Even at the MLB level it would be nice to have guys who have played different positions. Alot of them probaby have the athleticism to do it.

I have not coached beyond high level youth traveling but never did I have a season where we allowed one kid to play only one position all year... and there were many times because of injury , the flu, or Confirmation that it came in handy.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I'd probably go with what Shanty suggested and keep Lowell at third. Ortiz will be a defensive liability at first so I'd want my regular 3rd baseman out there making throws to him.

However, looking at the lineups for nine interleague games the Red Sox played in NL parks Francona had Youkilis play 3rd for a third of those games so we'll probably see the Youkilis at 3rd, Ortiz at 1st lineup once if the Series goes that deep. It looked like he did a double switch two out of the three times Youkilis played 3rd so look for that if the situation arises.

They were still able to score runs in the NL parks, out of the nine games they had two where they scored 10 or more runs. They did have trouble in San Diego though averaging a little over two runs in the series but they still took two out of the three games.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Ortiz may be a defensive liability but he also may not have to make anything but a routine play.

We know he will bat 4 times and probably in a couple of key situations. There is no way he is not on my lineup card.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

I agree - Ortiz on the bench. There's something to be said for having him step up to the plate late in a game in a spot where you want him. He's more clutch than Clutch, so saving him for just the right moment is big. Based on this season, they really aren't taking a big step back by benching him and going with Youkilis & Lowell.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I think if you take Big Pappi out you become too much like the Rockies. Ortiz is one of the players that seperates the 2 teams and as IS pointed out, the 2 leagues.

What did they do in '04?
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

As much as it pains me, I'm with packerboy, I'd want Papi in the lineup and batting four times and I'd just live with the defensive liabilities. It appears that Francona feels the same way as he had Ortiz in there most of the time in the NL ballparks. I was concerned that Youkilis might make throws that would give Ortiz trouble but based on the lineups he put out there Francona was OK with either Lowell or Youk at 3rd so it must not be an issue.
Irishmans Shanty

Wouldn't that be great if we were talking about whether Gardy should play Ortiz or Morneau at first base. Something tells me that there would more than five posters with an opinion on that.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Boston was better but when you are hot , you are hot.

Bobby Kielty hits a HR in his first and only WS at bat and it turns out to be the game winner.
Whodathunkit?

Congrats to the Bosox. Remember Twins fans, BOS did not make it to the playoffs last year and this year its champagne. Keep the faith and as always, hit the boofin ball.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Oh and by the way,

About half the people who live in Boston are Catholic.
Stealth

Post by Stealth »

WHEN DO THEY START?????
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Stealth wrote:WHEN DO THEY START?????
I don't think pitchers and catchers have been announced.