LeBron James... Idiot or Not?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Lebron James - Idiot?

Idiot
65%
Not an Idiot
35%

Total votes: 17

Govs93

LeBron James... Idiot or Not?

Post by Govs93 »

I'm swiping a poll that's up on ESPN.com right now, because I think it's kind of interesting.

As much as most of us hate basketball in here, I think we can probably agree that LeBron James is easily Cleveland's most recognizable athlete - probably one of the more recognizable in the world. It also should be noted that he's a native of Akron.

He was in stands for Game 1 of the Indians/Yankees ALDS game at Jacobs Field wearing a YANKEE cap. When interviewed on tv about it, he claimed that he wanted the Yankees to win, but that he would like to see the individual Indian players do well personally.

So... Cleveland's most famous athlete, native of Ohio, pulling for the opponent on national TV.

LeBron James... Idiot or not an idiot?
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

I'm certain he's an idiot.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

For what he did - Complete PR IDIOT :roll:

He is friends with Warren Buffet so he may not be firing on all cylinders but some of the friends he keeps not so bad.

Maybe Warren needs to offer some other advice from the non-financial spectrum.......such as public image

or maybe Warren is the idiot being played .....naw
fighting all who rob or plunder
Mr. McTabish

Post by Mr. McTabish »

Put myself in the shoes of his fans. If the Twins were in the playoffs, and there was Kevin Garnett in the stands with an Oakland A's hat on saying he wants Oakland to win, I would think he was the gayest moron in the world and it would make me hate him. Not that I would waste my money on a Timberwolves ticket, but if I got one for free, I'd bring a sign for Kevin that said "I HOPE (the opponent) WINS, KEVIN YOU SUCK AND YOU'RE GAY" and I'd be wearing a Timberwolves jersey.
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Supporting the opposition doesn't bother me. What James did is like a chic going to her best friends wedding shower and announcing she is pregnant. To me it is more about James trying to steal the spotlight on someone else's day.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Mr. McTabish wrote:Put myself in the shoes of his fans. If the Twins were in the playoffs, and there was Kevin Garnett in the stands with an Oakland A's hat on saying he wants Oakland to win, I would think he was the gayest moron in the world and it would make me hate him. Not that I would waste my money on a Timberwolves ticket, but if I got one for free, I'd bring a sign for Kevin that said "I HOPE (the opponent) WINS, KEVIN YOU SUCK AND YOU'RE GAY" and I'd be wearing a Timberwolves jersey.
My number one comment to you, my friend, is that Kevin Garnett is no longer a Timberwolf and I don't think his sexual preference has much to do with anything. Good effort though.
The U invented swagger.
State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mr. McTabish wrote:Put myself in the shoes of his fans. If the Twins were in the playoffs, and there was Kevin Garnett in the stands with an Oakland A's hat on saying he wants Oakland to win, I would think he was the gayest moron in the world and it would make me hate him. Not that I would waste my money on a Timberwolves ticket, but if I got one for free, I'd bring a sign for Kevin that said "I HOPE (the opponent) WINS, KEVIN YOU SUCK AND YOU'RE GAY" and I'd be wearing a Timberwolves jersey.
My number one comment to you, my friend, is that Kevin Garnett is no longer a Timberwolf and I don't think his sexual preference has much to do with anything. Good effort though.
Mr. McTabish is just showing his immaturity. Kids today don't use the word gay just as homosexual reference. Nor did my generation use it to mean happy as the generations before mine did. To them it means anything that is stupid or ridiculous.
theref

Post by theref »

This would actually be an issue if LeBron James played in MLB. He's a basketball player, doesn't mean he has to cheer for the team in the same city as the one he plays for. Lots of people don't cheer for the same team as where they live, so why should we hold him to a different standard.

As far as people saying something is gay, that really needs to be dropped.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

theref wrote:This would actually be an issue if LeBron James played in MLB. He's a basketball player, doesn't mean he has to cheer for the team in the same city as the one he plays for. Lots of people don't cheer for the same team as where they live, so why should we hold him to a different standard.

As far as people saying something is gay, that really needs to be dropped.
Lebron also grew up near Cleveland, which I know does not require you having to support the home team, it just makes the rubes have a harder time loving a home-town boy. Evidently he is keenly aware of market size and influence

It would be comparable to Mauer cheering for Green Bay....but of course the Vikings make that easier to do each week.
fighting all who rob or plunder
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

State Champ 97 wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:
Mr. McTabish is just showing his immaturity. Kids today don't use the word gay just as homosexual reference. Nor did my generation use it to mean happy as the generations before mine did. To them it means anything that is stupid or ridiculous.

I know what it means, I'm sure I'm a part of his generation.
The U invented swagger.
boblee

post 8389

Post by boblee »

Is he an idiot for what he did? Yes. However, I am a Cavaliers fan and it doesn't change the way I feel about him and how he can help the team. Poor decision, but it won't haunt him. Poor decision to be a Yankees fan too...
theref

Re: post 8389

Post by theref »

boblee wrote:Is he an idiot for what he did? Yes. However, I am a Cavaliers fan and it doesn't change the way I feel about him and how he can help the team. Poor decision, but it won't haunt him. Poor decision to be a Yankees fan too...
Hey now, low blow. Just cause we got the first round exit...........
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

No, theref, I don't think that's the only thing boblee was referring to.

Many players don't live where they play. And, as stated, many people don't cheer for the team of the state they live in. That being said, for PR purposes, I think it is important to publicly back your state's/city's team.
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

[-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-( [-(

:idea:
Last edited by EREmpireStrikesBack on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
theref

Post by theref »

HShockeywatcher wrote:No, theref, I don't think that's the only thing boblee was referring to.

Many players don't live where they play. And, as stated, many people don't cheer for the team of the state they live in. That being said, for PR purposes, I think it is important to publicly back your state's/city's team.
You should probably just go back to whatever rock you were under. The peace and quiet was nice.