Eden Prairie: Student Walk Out to Athletic Fall Out

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

boblee

Eden Prairie: Student Walk Out to Athletic Fall Out

Post by boblee »

After the EP drinking/facebook scandal the EP students up and left today and performed a student walkout. How will this walk out affect their athletics? Obviously I am talking specifically about hockey...
watchdog

Post by watchdog »

the whole hockey team quit or what are you saying?
parrish4president

Post by parrish4president »

I think this is the first time ever I think I will defend the EP student body! haha

The hockey team will be just fine, as I am pretty sure they had no direct affect from the facebook incident.
mrright

Post by mrright »

The news paper completely over-exaggerated this from what I have heard. Supposedly only 10 or so kids walked out.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Only about 40 students left the building. It was a symbolic move and little else. In the end, I doubt it will change a thing.

The poll at the Mpls Star-Trib was interesting; people were asked "Should schools use Facebook information to discipline students?". Last I checked, 60.3% of over 13,000 votes tallied said "Yes".

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
tjkhavgam

Post by tjkhavgam »

well was there anyone from ep thats on the hockey team that is going to get suspended from this facebook thing?
boblee

post 9192

Post by boblee »

I am talking more this... if any of the hockey players were in the group of 40 that walked out, what should their punishment be? I do not know if any guys hockey players were in the facebook/drinking scandal, but I know two girls hockey players were.
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

In statistics that would be called a bad poll. You can't take a group of adults who, for the most part, rarely know anything about what a website like facebook is and have a poll about the topic mean anything. Obviously a concensus of adults about a topic of students posting drinking pictures online, not many people would say they shouldn't get in trouble.

One of the students was quoted saying that certain pictures were put up over two years ago; facebook only recently turned into a database that adults had any chance to view. It's like a using a phone conversation in which one party had an expectation of privacy, the information on that phone conversation wouldn't be able to be used. Same thing.
eagle4life9

Post by eagle4life9 »

Nobody from EPs hockey team got suspended or called to the dean. The newspaper reported over 100 kids when in reality is was 43. 13 athletes got suspended and thats it. The walkout today was mostly kids who got questioned because they were upset. The kids who got suspended from sports are upset for obvious reasons and the other kids all had to bring there parents in so Im sure most of them are suffering there own penalties. The school actually handled the walkout really well they didnt try to stop anyone and there was no punishment for the kids who did it except for the normal punishment for skipping school or a class.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

HShockeywatcher wrote:In statistics that would be called a bad poll. You can't take a group of adults who, for the most part, rarely know anything about what a website like facebook is and have a poll about the topic mean anything. Obviously a concensus of adults about a topic of students posting drinking pictures online, not many people would say they shouldn't get in trouble.

One of the students was quoted saying that certain pictures were put up over two years ago; facebook only recently turned into a database that adults had any chance to view. It's like a using a phone conversation in which one party had an expectation of privacy, the information on that phone conversation wouldn't be able to be used. Same thing.
YOU JUST TOPPED YOURSELF

It's a social web based NETWORK for sharing information about one's self. The so called database is for sharing information. It they didn't have the setting for their account set to private or by invite only, it is public information that was freely put there on their own accord (and it is regardless). If it was by invite, they got hung out by a friendship gone south. Read the waiver when you sign-up, there was no invasion of privacy in this case.

Even an ACLU lawyer (which I find remarkable to begin with) stated that a person had to be an IDIOT to believe there is any expectation of privacy. I guess he was referring to you?
hockyman08

Post by hockyman08 »

What happens if say a person doesn't even have a facebook, but girls being girls who take thousands of pictures everywhere they go snap one of you with a brew in your hand, you did'nt know it happened and it gets posted. You're not consenting to the picture nor have you put it on this public forum, is that invasion of your privacy?
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

hockyman08 wrote:What happens if say a person doesn't even have a facebook, but girls being girls who take thousands of pictures everywhere they go snap one of you with a brew in your hand, you did'nt know it happened and it gets posted. You're not consenting to the picture nor have you put it on this public forum, is that invasion of your privacy?
Its one of many lessons on how girls will screw you, and unfortunately not in the literal sense.
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
DickTrickle

Post by DickTrickle »

kick em all out......suspensed em all.......teach em a lesson :lol:
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

DickTrickle wrote:kick em all out......suspensed em all.......teach em a lesson :lol:
That lesson being? As stated above, you may have been in a picture not knowing that it had been posted on facebook. Once somebody tags a picture of you that they have put on themself, it automatically shows up in your profile as "pictures taken of X PERSON added by others". You may not even know that the picture was posted!

I also heard that several of the pictures were taken in Mexico, where the legal drinking age is 18, which many of the students were...I don't understand how they could be in trouble then? Oh and was it just athletes, or other students as well? Because if it was other students, how can they be getting in trouble for stuff they did outside of school having no relation to school what-so-ever...
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

HShockeywatcher wrote:In statistics that would be called a bad poll. You can't take a group of adults who, for the most part, rarely know anything about what a website like facebook is and have a poll about the topic mean anything. Obviously a concensus of adults about a topic of students posting drinking pictures online, not many people would say they shouldn't get in trouble.

Wrong. Its legal as long as one of the participants in the phone conversation knows that it is being recorded. Why do you think government wire tapes are ruled illegal? Because neither party is aware of the taping, it is being done by a third party.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

What difference does it make how they got caught?
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

packerboy wrote:What difference does it make how they got caught?
Exactly! =D>
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

That quip should be a big boost to your business - WOW.

AY 8)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

AngusYoung wrote:
That quip should be a big boost to your business - WOW.

AY 8)
It is indeed.

But it's everybody's business to see to it that kids don't drink alcohol. Obviously, they have demonstratred that their maturity level isnt such that they should be messin with anything (You could say the same about AY)

Just say no.
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

PB - Have you personnally seen the evidence in question?

AY 8)
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

AngusYoung wrote:PB - Have you personnally seen the evidence in question?

AY 8)
Seen it?!

Who the hell do you think was handing out the cups?!
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

AngusYoung wrote:PB - Have you personnally seen the evidence in question?

AY 8)
No.

But in this battle, we should give as much latitude as possible to the people in the schools trying to keep our kids clean and sober.

Id rather see a couple of kids get punished "unjustly" than to see our educators hands tied. Besides, they were probably doing other stuff that they didnt get caught at.
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

If you think is going to keep the "yutes" clean and sober, good for you. I think not. Further, in your line of work, you better than most should understand what inevitably will happen. Parent of student who has been reprimanded takes it to a higher level and eventually the reprimand gets overturned and the impacted student learns an excellent lesson on how the real world works. Again, without seeing the actual evidence it's difficult to make a judgement. In retrospect, perhaps the admin. could have been just as effective by confronting the perps with the evidence and issuing stern warnings which most likely would have avoided all the media attention.

And Govs93, it could not have been PB handing out the cups - he was @ the Payne Reliever. :shock:

AY 8)
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

AngusYoung wrote:
And Govs93, it could not have been PB handing out the cups - he was @ the Payne Reliever. :shock:

AY 8)
Man, I wish place were still around... put a place like that in EP, and we'd have a real problem on our hands.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

AngusYoung wrote:If you think is going to keep the "yutes" clean and sober, good for you. I think not. Further, in your line of work, you better than most should understand what inevitably will happen. Parent of student who has been reprimanded takes it to a higher level and eventually the reprimand gets overturned and the impacted student learns an excellent lesson on how the real world works.

AY 8)
The real world works just fine most of the time to deter this kind of behavior. I do not belive in proceeding as if all kids will ineviatbly consume, even though we know some will.

I think the "boys will be boys" approach has gotten us into deep trouble and is wrong.

So, when did the Payne Reliever close?