Will gas prices ever go down?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will gas prices go down?

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 27

DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:18 am

DMom wrote:
Long trips - rent a car with good gas mileage and a DVD player - just strap the bags to the roof.
....and don't let him drive!!!
Hey, I like your moniker Dmom... :D

DMom

Post by DMom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:55 am

DmanDad1980 wrote:
DMom wrote:
Long trips - rent a car with good gas mileage and a DVD player - just strap the bags to the roof.
....and don't let him drive!!!
Hey, I like your moniker Dmom... :D
although I doubt we picked them for the same reason :oops:

just kidding--someone once insinuated I have a better shape than I do.

I am assuming you too have sat in the stands (or on the bench) and listened to parents sigh and say, "Where was the defense on that one?"

(they were waiting for their backcheckers!!!!)

tax season is over and I feel like celebrating with......a record setting posting day. That, and it's kind of nasty looking outside, I can't drive anywhere (can't afford it)...I could try working, gotta keep those deductions up.

Tomm@#$ help me out here before I go to the other 'bored" and put something up about the alternative league. might have a whole barnyard of trouble than....

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:38 am

Sorry up to my ears with soccer muck! :(

My soccer team is playing in Rockford IL this weekend (no son on team) - thinking of hitchhiking to save money. Wonder how much Greyhound is and how many stops it makes??

hitchhiking would be cheaper or maybe I could ship myself Fed Ex? :lol:
fighting all who rob or plunder

DMom

Post by DMom » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:50 pm

but of course you are volunteering (for a non-profit??) so all that mileage is tax deductible

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:34 pm

tomASS wrote:Sorry up to my ears with soccer muck! :(

My soccer team is playing in Rockford IL this weekend (no son on team) - thinking of hitchhiking to save money. Wonder how much Greyhound is and how many stops it makes??

hitchhiking would be cheaper or maybe I could ship myself Fed Ex? :lol:
Go DHL they have better rates. :wink:

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:38 pm

UPS GROUND SERVICE

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Paying a nice and tidy $3.59 per gallon here in the Windy City. :roll: $3.35 is going to look cheap when I get back up north. :cry:
Character is who you are when no one is watching

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:14 am

Try $3.45 here in Cloud. That is cheap for now.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:10 am

Indians forever wrote:Try $3.45 here in Cloud. That is cheap for now.
Ran into $3.69 before we left Chi. :cry:
Character is who you are when no one is watching

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:33 am

Prices are ridiculous, not going to come down anytime soon.
Suburban for sale: 12-mpg. #-o

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 am

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Prices are ridiculous, not going to come down anytime soon.
Suburban for sale: 12-mpg. #-o
want to trade even up for a Durango that gets 11? :lol:
fighting all who rob or plunder

DMom

Post by DMom » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Hey, at least my excursion gets 14.3 :D :D :D

didn't stop my better half from pulling into the Dodge dealership on Sunday to take a pre-shopping look at the swivel n'go mini van. three boys-- four sets of head phones, two screens, they're still gonna fight.

back in the good ol' days before seatbelts were mandatory, I spent an entire cross country trip sleeping on the floor of the backseat of a Chevy malibu because my sisters said there wasn't any room on the seat.. we didn't dare fight...maybe I should turn them over to grandpa. course pOPS was probably mad back than because he was paying 75 cents a gallon for gas.

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:19 am

$3.79 has been posted, don't even have a quarter buffer zone from four spins anymore.

It's only a matter of time.

tic toc tic toc tic toc

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:46 pm

The energy experts are predicting $9 a gallon by 2012. Amazing what a Dem president can do for the economy!

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Gas prices will go down once the electric car industry picks up. If anyone's seen "who killed the electric car" you'd know there was a market for it, there's plenty of people who want them and it is a real step in the right direction.

Things will get better for everyone and the world when our leaders start thinking more about the environment, the future of the world and making money long term instead of just about making money now.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:00 pm

The technology isn't there for an electric car just yet and may never be. Until they can figure out a strong enough battery that will power itself much like an alternator does with the current battery it's just a pipe dream that an electric car will solve our problems.

Who killed the electric car is no better than a Michael Moore film or an Alex Jones film. Conspiricy theories are fun but have no basis in fact. If an auto maker could come up with a viable electric car they'd do it in a second, the money they'd make would be astronomical. The major automakers are losing money year after year, to think that they wouldn't want to turn that around is lunacy.

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Tue May 06, 2008 1:41 pm

You can lock in at 2.99 a gallon gas or diesel for three years.
If you buy a new Chrysler.

Interesting sales pitch. :-k

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 am

$4.059

wbmd

Re: Will gas prices ever go down?

Post by wbmd » Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm

cajones18 wrote:What does every one think?
The way gas is going lately, it's more like when will it hit $10.00/gallon?!!

Knowlzee

Price of gas

Post by Knowlzee » Wed May 14, 2008 10:19 am

The price of oil/gas will continue to rise until our leaders (i.e. us) realize that "environmental protection" is a hoax, and not worth the price we are paying for it.

If our country would promote the use our own natural resources (i.e. oil, natural gas, coal) rather than subsidize the mutiple other silly methods (i.e. ethanol, electric cars, wind, etc.) of power, the price of oil/gas would drop as speculators would immediately begin to sell. Speculators are continuing to bid up the price of oil because ALL of the presidential candidates have bought into the "environmental lobby". The cost of oil/gas will rise, until we decide to drill/refine more of our own. It is as simple as that.

There is a price that will be reached where people will decide that it is more important to use our own resources, rather than continue to pay for the fictitious protection of a few plants and animals. But what price that will be remains the question. Unfortunately, we are on track to find out. In the mean time the price will continue to rise, and we will continue to send $125 per barrel (for now) to various other countries.

So when you fill up today remember $125 dollars per barrel to Hugo Chavez and Mahmoud Ahmadinajad, all for the protection of a few plants and animals in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge. Are we stupid,.....or what? :?

northwoods oldtimer

Correct

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Wed May 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Knowlzee,
The breaking point assumed in a Time/Newsweek article I ran across last week mentioned $6.00 per gallon would be the prognosticated breaking point. The push by the Al Gore eco whacko's is to force consumers to change their lifestyle which means less travel with far less auto (specks). The past year alone has had little effect with rising fuel cost. According to the article a mere .03% reduction by the American consumer. I have also read that $4.00 would have a deleterious effect on the middle class. We are soon approaching that figure, so we will see what the summer does to consumers. Heard a lobbyist last year lamenting folks to call, write, and bug Congress for off shore and CONUS drilling. He mentioned our gulf reserves are larger than all that Saudi oil. As well he mentioned safety of offshore rigs is astounding. Example used was from Katrina hurricane where the wells were capped ahead of the storm. Folks it is time to start calling as the price is indeed too high!

Knowlzee

Post by Knowlzee » Thu May 15, 2008 9:28 am

Right on Oldtimer. Higher costs would be a little more acceptible, if we had no oil. We have oil in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, and even Western North Dakota, for cying-out-loud. Get it out of the ground, refine it, use it, and sell it around the world. If a leader in this country would make a commitment to this,......the speculators would be out faster than a Bobby Hull slapshot,.....and the price of oil would drop like a desperate goalie.

The rising (yes, it's not done) costs of oil/gas are entirely self inflicted, and we have all allowed it, and rationalized it, in the name of "environmental protection". At what price will "economic protection" trump "environmental protection?"

Life is good in America, isn't it! :)

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Thu May 15, 2008 10:24 am

Knowlzee wrote:Right on Oldtimer. Higher costs would be a little more acceptible, if we had no oil. We have oil in the Gulf of Mexico, Alaska, and even Western North Dakota, for cying-out-loud. Get it out of the ground, refine it, use it, and sell it around the world. If a leader in this country would make a commitment to this,......the speculators would be out faster than a Bobby Hull slapshot,.....and the price of oil would drop like a desperate goalie.

The rising (yes, it's not done) costs of oil/gas are entirely self inflicted, and we have all allowed it, and rationalized it, in the name of "environmental protection". At what price will "economic protection" trump "environmental protection?"

Life is good in America, isn't it! :)
I believe that those that had to endure the Great Depression would surely say that economic protection is more important, what good is the environment going to do you if your not around to, or can't use it :?

I also think it's very easy for the well off to get on the environmental bandwagon, and this is just another hit to the middle class which is being made larger each day by the super wealthy.
What is middle class today in terms of $ earned??
Let's face it this nation is being sold by our own government to foreign countries with every barrel.
:(

Knowlzee

We are to blame.

Post by Knowlzee » Fri May 16, 2008 12:31 pm

CNT, totally agree with your last sentence. However, just as corporations are not their own entity (they are the employees),......our government is not its own entity, it is us. We are responsible by allowing it to happen.

Sure many of the super wealthy are on the "environmental bandwagon", and they may be more vocal (and are listened to). However, the middle class, and it is very large, runs this country. Unfortunately, the middle class appears to also to be on the bandwagon,......or is too timid (or busy) to stand up to environmentalism. There is a price that will get our attention. It's not $2, or $3, or not even $4, but it is out there somewhere. It will be very interesting to find out what it is. Unfortunately, especially for the lower middle class, we are on track to find out.

Life is so good in this country, that we can spend millions of dollars just to feel good about protecting our environment that doesn't even need protecting, while,.......many others are concerned where their next meal will come from. Life is good in America.

PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN » Fri May 16, 2008 7:18 pm

Just came out of north dakota and a little town was posting 3.90 a gallon