2008 Legion Baseball season

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mn man

Post by mn man »

Eden Prairie 17-3-1 thus far. Four time defending state Legion champs. The state championship in Legion lately goes through EP.
tomASS

Post by tomASS »

mn man wrote:Eden Prairie 17-3-1 thus far. Four time defending state Legion champs. The state championship in Legion lately goes through EP.
which way on Hwy 5 does one need to take? :lol:
fighting all who rob or plunder
NumberCruncher

Post by NumberCruncher »

http://www.tricitybaseball.org/Poll08_4.pdf

There should be a new one out shortly. EP sits at #3.
That is all,
NumberCruncher
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Here is a pretty good article on the state of Legion ball finances around town... it's prett much the same as every other aspect of life at the moment.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Want to play?

Pay.

Charge those who can afford it enough to provide help for those who can't.

Well, look at me. I sound like a Democrat. :lol:
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

packerboy wrote:Want to play?

Pay.

Charge those who can afford it enough to provide help for those who can't.

Well, look at me. I sound like a Democrat. :lol:
Why yes you do !! :lol:

The sad fact these days.... is to many people that could afford it, say they can't, and take advantage. And many that can't afford it or (just barely), but have enough personal pride to give up some of their own pleasures so they can.

It's really hard these days...which would you rather help? and how do you tell the difference?

And then doesn't it bug ya ? when you know you payed to help those that supposedly just can't make it, and then run into them at the local club sucking down $3-4 beers all night?? :?
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

North St. Paul won Alexandria's 4th of July Tournament this weekend. Hill Murray fans probably know the name Troy Larson, he hit 3 homeruns in 1 game on Friday. The 39ers have really been fun to watch this season. I just want to see them beat Tri-City Red for once.
mn man

Post by mn man »

EP Legion wins the Princeton Legion Tourney this last weekend beating 3 excellent teams, Excelsior 6-4, Tri-City Red 9-7 and Grand Rapids 4-3, to gain the crown.
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

Tri-City Red is the team NSP always has trouble with. Played them well twice but lost both of them by 1 run. Just can not get a break against them. Oh well, still have 1 more chance and there's always the district playoffs. The 4th District is a Wood Bat District but will switch to Aluminum for the district playoffs. McKnight & Midway both have nights with 2 games scheduled with the first game being @ 5:00. Aluminum bats & 9-inning games could mean long nights for the first few nights.
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

After 3 days of the 4th district tournament, Hamline Purple is the only undefeated team left. Beat Arcade-Phalen as expected on Wednesday but have knocked off the top 2 seeds so far too. They beat #2 seed North St. Paul 13-1 in 7 innings & #1 seed Tri-City Red 20-16 on Friday Night. That is not a misprint. Hamline had a 20-4 lead at one time in the game. Tri-City Red had 6 errors in the game, that may have matched their total for the whole season with how well they usually play. Tri-City Red & North St. Paul in an elimination game on Saturday, nobody saw this coming.
boblee

post 10468

Post by boblee »

Grand Rapids 8
Cloquet 2

District Championship

Grand Rapids on to state in Legion and VFW
Indians forever

Re: post 10468

Post by Indians forever »

boblee wrote:Grand Rapids 8
Cloquet 2

District Championship

Grand Rapids on to state in Legion and VFW
Nice job Rapids BOyzzzz!!!!
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

4th District will be between North St. Paul & Hamline Purple. Tri-City Red has been eliminated with a 4-3 loss to NSP today. Tri-City Red did not play their best ball this weekend as a lot of people are shocked they are heading home already.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Nice run by the Hamline Purple Raiders.

They lost 10-9 and 5-0 to NSP on Sunday so congrats to the 39ers on going to the Legion state tournament and good luck.

The Hamline Purple were made up of all High School kids. There were no graduated players on the team so they did well in beating some highly ranked teams, who had a number of kids starting college in a month.

NSP is a very good team and the Purple gave them all they could handle in the 3 games they played in the playoffs.

Tri City Red is also a very good team and its a shame that their season is over.
DmanDad1980

Post by DmanDad1980 »

District One Championship

Nice games this weekend!
Rochester Redhawks (Mayo) #1 were undefeated and going against cross town rival and defending district champs Rochester Patriots (JM) #2 seed.

Fans were not disappointed! Patriots came from behind twice to go to state for the 2nd year in a row.

First game
Patriots 7, Redhawks 6

Second game
Patriots 6, Redhawks 5 (Patriots champions)

Congrats to both teams on some great baseball!
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

packerboy wrote:Nice run by the Hamline Purple Raiders.

They lost 10-9 and 5-0 to NSP on Sunday so congrats to the 39ers on going to the Legion state tournament and good luck.

The Hamline Purple were made up of all High School kids. There were no graduated players on the team so they did well in beating some highly ranked teams, who had a number of kids starting college in a month.

NSP is a very good team and the Purple gave them all they could handle in the 3 games they played in the playoffs.

Tri City Red is also a very good team and its a shame that their season is over.
Too bad the district only gets 1 team (although I'm glad it's NSP). There were some good teams playing.
GopherWild

Post by GopherWild »

Burnsville is the official host of the 2008 State Tournament so they are an automatic team in the tournament. AliMagnet Park will be the host field with both baseball fields being used for the first 2 days with Red Haddox in Bloomington & Memorial Park in Prior Lake being used for the first day. It appears all 4 fields have lights so there is no need for an 8AM game on Thursday. North St. Paul 39ers vs. Al Newman's Apple Valley 76ers in an opening round game should be a treat with #6 in state vs. #4 in state. It will be an interesting State Tournament with the field being so wide open. There is no double elimination for game 30 because the runner-up will also go to a regional.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Not necessarily related, but also not worthy of it's own thread...

The East Twins 15 year old team qualified for the Babe Ruth World Series in Arkansas. They beat Fountain Valley CO, Lincoln NE, and Waite Park twice on their way to the Midwest Plains regional title.

For those unaware, East Twins is a league that consists of kids from the Eastside, Maplewood, North St. Paul, Oakdale & Woodbury. I'm going to assume that most of the kids on this championship team are from the Johnson area.

Congratulations to them. The World Series starts on August 15.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

Govs93 wrote:Not necessarily related, but also not worthy of it's own thread...

The East Twins 15 year old team qualified for the Babe Ruth World Series in Arkansas. They beat Fountain Valley CO, Lincoln NE, and Waite Park twice on their way to the Midwest Plains regional title.

For those unaware, East Twins is a league that consists of kids from the Eastside, Maplewood, North St. Paul, Oakdale & Woodbury. I'm going to assume that most of the kids on this championship team are from the Johnson area.

Congratulations to them. The World Series starts on August 15.
I had a chance to watch all three games between Waite Park and the East Twins and I can't say how great the competition was. At no point were any of the teams out of the game and today's championship was extremely exciting. Congrats to the East Twins and good luck at the World Series....

Now, on to legion...Watch out for the St. Cloud 76ers (Tech). They have been extremely hot with the sticks lately and have a solid pitching staff. They were the 7th seed in the 9-team St. Cloud Sub-district after going 4-8 in the regular season.

They advanced to the 8-team district tournament after finishing 2nd in the St. Cloud Sub-District behind the St. Cloud Chutes (Cathedral). In the District tournament they beat the Chutes twice on their way to earning a state berth.

If they can play good D I see them making a deep run in to the tourney with a strong batting line-up and pitching staff.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Govs93 wrote: East Twins is a league that consists of kids from the Eastside, Maplewood, WBL, North St. Paul, Oakdale & Woodbury.

Congratulations to them.
Sounds like the H-M Pioneers of Babe Ruth Baseball. Govs, are you feeling alright?

The 13 yr old Pioneers did well too, either won state or fell in the championship, not certain.

"That's a free-zee ball"
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

After the first day...

Eastview, Edina, Rochester (Patriots), and St. Cloud (76ers) are all 2-0.

Apple Valley, Willmar, New Ulm Gold, Eden Prairie, North St. Paul, Grand Rapids, Maple Grove and Burnsville all went 1-1.

Cold Spring, Moorhead, Cambridge, and Richfield all went 0-2 to be eliminated.

An average of 20.25 runs per game were scored on day 1. That's against the top pitching. Time to make the move to wood bats?

The St. Cloud 76ers remained hot with the bats...putting up 30 runs in their two games. Although that was overshadowed by two teams, Eastview and Eden Prairie, putting up more than 20 runs in one game.

The Rochester Patriots had a team batting average of .440 and belted out 5 homers on day one.

The tournament ERA after day one is an astonishing 8.81, which I only see getting bigger with teams 3, 4, and 5 pitchers toeing the rubber today.

A tale of two unbeaten teams...Eastview stole 19 times on 21 attempts. The St. Cloud 76ers went 0 for 0 on the day.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I saw those scores in the paper.

Looked like a football tournament.

District 4 played wood during the season and it makes a difference but it wont turn a 13-12 game into 3-2.

I dont know all those teams that well but the teams I do know had good pitching but not dominant.

When guys are hittin, they are hittin.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

Well, in this tournament, they are a hittin'.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

Apple Valley takes the first game of the day over Willmar...

Apple Vall 15
Willmar 11
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

George Blanda wrote:Apple Valley takes the first game of the day over Willmar...

Apple Vall 15
Willmar 11
They just using JUGS machines down there, or what?

(I put the link in there to spare us from any of CNT's jokes due to the use of the word "Jugs".)