Changing the driving age.....??

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should the driving age change?

No change
56%
17 yrs old
19%
18 yrs old
25%

Total votes: 16

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:52 pm

east hockey wrote:
tomASS wrote:I'm ok with keeping it the same, but let's do something like they do in Switzerland - make them have a magnetic sign that designates them as a "new" or "rookie driver". Until the age of 18.

to enhance that idea, also put the "how's my driving?" question on the sign with the parents phone number.

What good is being a parent if you can't embarrass your kids as often or as long as possible? :lol:
Sorta like Whiskey Plates? :)

Lee
why what do they look like???? :lol:

and can you get them customize if you prefer tequila ? :wink:
fighting all who rob or plunder

Lily Braden

Post by Lily Braden » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:58 pm

tomASS wrote:
Lily Braden wrote:
Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote: I just let my kids know it was their privilege to lose....and most I think take it quite seriously at first...the phone thing is what bothers me.
Also 2 seater cars are the way to go...it's sounds bad, like they are getting a sports car, but if they can't get a bunch of kids in to show off to, they just act normal! well sort of! :roll:
Yeah - I've threatened to buy him a $500 wood paneled station wagon, rip out the the back seats (plural... gonna make sure it's extra long & ugly), and weld a rusted old refrigerator in their place and make him drive that to Wayzata High School.... see how much he wants to drive then.
HA...I already told my kids that we would get them one of those "Smart Cars" that look like a clown car and go about 60, floored. They'll get great gas mileage, but will be too embarassed to drive.

Also, I want the age of consent for sex to be raised to "after their mother is dead". Can we work on that one, too?
See now were on the same page - My dad owned a gas station after starting off with a 68 Ford Torino Coupe, and then moving up to the big block of a 72 Plymouth Fury Sports Coup (BIG BACK SEAT!)
my dad did the "smart car" thing of the 70's and I ended up driving this.....

Hey, but it had the 3 speed with the denim interior package
Didn't that car also have the extra feature of exploding on impact? Or was that the Pinto?
My parents gave us a giant Impala that was so huge that I continually backed into things I couldn't see. A skill my husband will say I have until this day!

sinbin006

Post by sinbin006 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:28 pm

tomASS wrote:I'm ok with keeping it the same, but let's do something like they do in Switzerland - make them have a magnetic sign that designates them as a "new" or "rookie driver". Until the age of 18.

to enhance that idea, also put the "how's my driving?" question on the sign with the parents phone number.

What good is being a parent if you can't embarrass your kids as often or as long as possible? :lol:
Like the yellow stripe in NASCAR...

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:11 am

All you "geezers" make me laugh. :lol:

I will say that I used to drive a lot faster than I do now, but it seems to take me the same amount of time as before. Maybe my parents were really on to something...

And Ogee, you can always PM me their phone # and I'll have a stern talking to them about driving safety. :wink:

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:30 am

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:
And Ogee, you can always PM me their phone # and I'll have a stern talking to them about driving safety. :wink:

It's gonna be a Like a Nightmare and for all the ERE types out there I just got the new how to "Hunt like Dick Cheney" video. :lol:

Seriously though drivivg at 16 is alright with me, as long as there well trained. My girls have been driving since 12, its never too early to stress the importance of a designated driver. :wink:

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:12 am

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:

It's gonna be a Like a Nightmare and for all the ERE types out there I just got the new how to "Hunt like Dick Cheney" video. :lol:

Seriously though drivivg at 16 is alright with me, as long as there well trained. My girls have been driving since 12, its never too early to stress the importance of a designated driver. :wink:
Nice! A must see !

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:16 am

Can't Never Tried wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:

Nice! A must see !
I'm imagining a 12 year old girl driving a cabbed John Deer tractor out of town with Ogee strapped over the engine housing pointing and shouting, " I am King of all I survey!"

:P
fighting all who rob or plunder

rams80

Post by rams80 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 am

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:53 am

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:

I'm not too scared, can't be that good of a shot. :wink:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:50 am

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:All you "geezers" make me laugh. :lol:

some of us geezers should have to take refresher courses.

I will say that I used to drive a lot faster than I do now, but it seems to take me the same amount of time as before. Maybe my parents were really on to something...

Nice of you to recognize their (and some of us geezers) intelligence.

I would not recommend giving any female phone number to Darth Rogers.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:53 am

elliott70 wrote:

So your what recommending guys #s? :shock:

:wink:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

No, just trying to keep him out of trouble with his fiancee'.

Not sure if that is a he or she.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:39 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

I'm not from Iowa. Give me a break here.

And she would understand that I am trying to help out younger people. And making the roadways safer. :wink:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Sure elliott, but if they take BIAFP's suggestion , in a couple of years, we will see you with your thumb out on Highway 371 dressed in your flannel shirt trying to hitch a ride down to The Liffey.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:47 pm

packerboy wrote:Sure elliott, but if they take BIAFP's suggestion , in a couple of years, we will see you with your thumb out on Highway 371 dressed in your flannel shirt trying to hitch a ride down to The Liffey.
He could just ride BIAFP's bus!

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:01 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

I'm not from Iowa. Give me a break here.

And she would understand that I am trying to help out younger people. And making the roadways safer. :wink:

'THEY' never understand. :)

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:02 pm

packerboy wrote:Sure elliott, but if they take BIAFP's suggestion , in a couple of years, we will see you with your thumb out on Highway 371 dressed in your flannel shirt trying to hitch a ride down to The Liffey.
No, no, no.

I have both motorized and push wheelchairs.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:03 pm

And until (if) my eye heals I am not driving.

I hope my fingers are on the right keys.

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:

GREAT! First I get Ankles Pierre wanting to clean my buildings, then I have to prepare a fine Crow dish for Govs and now I get elliott riding my bus :roll:

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:35 pm

elliott is a great guy to have on your bus.

But if you stop at any bars on the way, be prepared to buy.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:36 pm

BIAFP wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

GREAT! First I get Ankles Pierre wanting to clean my buildings, then I have to prepare a fine Crow dish for Govs and now I get elliott riding my bus :roll:
Is it a short bus? :P

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
BIAFP wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

Is it a short bus? :P
Very short....I bought it from the Duluth School District.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:35 pm

packerboy wrote:elliott is a great guy to have on your bus.

That's what God intended.

:D

BIAFP

Post by BIAFP » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:52 pm

elliott70 wrote:
packerboy wrote:elliott is a great guy to have on your bus.

That's what God intended.

:D
I have no problem buying for Elliott, PB, Neut, CNT,TomASS........ or even Govs, as he believes that is the way it should be always........