Changing the driving age.....??

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Should the driving age change?

No change
56%
17 yrs old
19%
18 yrs old
25%

Total votes: 16

Can't Never Tried

Changing the driving age.....??

Post by Can't Never Tried »

I heard a report today about increasing the driving age from 16yrs old to 17 maybe even 18yrs old to decrease the teen driver death rate :?

What do ya think?

In that same report....they also made the dumbest statement...
In NJ they raised it to 17 and there teen death rate dropped...no kidding :roll: how's that possible? #-o
Marty McSorely

Driving

Post by Marty McSorely »

I don't know that they need to change the age. I like the current restrictions. I wish they would go further. It's to bad our country doesn't look at driving like war.

Statistics show more 16-25 yearolds died in auto accidents then all other things combined even war.....But the anti war people never mention that.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

Now that I have 2 teenage daughters thinking about driving...........
I would say 20 years old is about right. :lol:
Can't Never Tried

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Now that I have 2 teenage daughters thinking about driving...........
Then they'll just be going out with older guys :shock: :x
Marty McSorely

Daughters

Post by Marty McSorely »

Two teenage daughters and your worried about driving? That a good sign, I'd be suicidal :lol:
Can't Never Tried

Re: Daughters

Marty McSorely wrote:Two teenage daughters and your worried about driving? That a good sign, I'd be suicidal :lol:
:lol:
DMom

Post by DMom »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:Now that I have 2 teenage daughters thinking about driving...........
Then they'll just be going out with older guys :shock: :x
I'm sure ERE is gassing up the car now!!
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Hate to bring up a borderline political issue in another thread, but do you think the insurance companies are going to go for this, based on the amount of money teenage drivers generate? Methinks not.

But, I agree with Ogee... It should be no less than 20.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

elliott70 wrote:25
Even better.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I hope HELL isn't freezing over, Govs and I agree on something.

:D
Can't Never Tried

Ye of little faith! :wink:
IDK none of my kids got tickets, or have been in accidents, and they've had there own vehicle's since the day they turned 16, and one is well past the teenage yrs. today!
Plus...
It gets them to there Jobs, there activities, and well... to the girlfriend with the over protective fathers house :lol:
Why do you think we should change now? would you feel the same way if you were 15 today?
DMom

Post by DMom »

elliott70 wrote:I hope HELL isn't freezing over, Govs and I agree on something.

now you have ERE choking. I'm sure they'd grandfather in the people who already have their licenses :lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

DMom wrote:

now you have ERE choking. I'm sure they'd grandfather in the people who already have their licenses :lol:
Except in the case of <25 Yankee fans.

Say... how are they doing anyway, ERE? :wink:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

Govs93 wrote:
DMom wrote:

Except in the case of <25 Yankee fans.

Say... how are they doing anyway, ERE? :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

And after looking at today's standings....

ImageImageImage

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

They need to have their license at 16.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:Ye of little faith! :wink:
IDK none of my kids got tickets, or have been in accidents, and they've had there own vehicle's since the day they turned 16, and one is well past the teenage yrs. today!
Plus...
It gets them to there Jobs, there activities, and well... to the girlfriend with the over protective fathers house :lol:
Why do you think we should change now? would you feel the same way if you were 15 today?
I think it's fine where it is and don't agree with changing it.... Still, as a (step)parent with a kid who'll be driving within a year - it doesn't necessarily mean I'm completely comfortable with it either. I'm sure he'll be perfectly fine with me or his mom in the car, or by himself, but it's when he gets a few of his buddies in it that I get concerned. It's those small lapses in common sense that make me break out in cold sweats... but you have to trust your kids at some point (I guess).

I will say that I'm looking forward to just tossing him the keys and telling him to get his sister to soccer practice (now if we could just legalize beer runs for parents for 16 year olds...)
Can't Never Tried

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:Ye of little faith! :wink:
Plus...
I think it's fine where it is and don't agree with changing it.... Still, as a (step)parent with a kid who'll be driving within a year - it doesn't necessarily mean I'm completely comfortable with it either. I'm sure he'll be perfectly fine with me or his mom in the car, or by himself, but it's when he gets a few of his buddies in it that I get concerned. It's those small lapses in common sense that make me break out in cold sweats... but you have to trust your kids at some point (I guess).

I will say that I'm looking forward to just tossing him the keys and telling him to get his sister to soccer practice (now if we could just legalize beer runs for 16 year olds...)
Yes as bad as it sounds it's a shame... :lol:

I just let my kids know it was their privilege to lose....and most I think take it quite seriously at first...the phone thing is what bothers me.
Also 2 seater cars are the way to go...it's sounds bad, like they are getting a sports car, but if they can't get a bunch of kids in to show off to, they just act normal! well sort of! :roll:

I agree about the distraction and lapse in judgment, but that is going to happen even if you make em wait until 20 too!

It's just another thing you go through as a parent, which is where teaching them discipline and life lessons early pays off.....it did for me :D

BTW I hope all you guys and gals daughters are ok :lol: :lol:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote: I just let my kids know it was their privilege to lose....and most I think take it quite seriously at first...the phone thing is what bothers me.
Also 2 seater cars are the way to go...it's sounds bad, like they are getting a sports car, but if they can't get a bunch of kids in to show off to, they just act normal! well sort of! :roll:
Yeah - I've threatened to buy him a $500 wood paneled station wagon, rip out the the back seats (plural... gonna make sure it's extra long & ugly), and weld a rusted old refrigerator in their place and make him drive that to Wayzata High School.... see how much he wants to drive then.
Can't Never Tried

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote: I just let my kids know it was their privilege to lose....and most I think take it quite seriously at first...the phone thing is what bothers me.
Yeah - I've threatened to buy him a $500 wood paneled station wagon, rip out the the back seats (plural... gonna make sure it's extra long & ugly), and weld a rusted old refrigerator in their place and make him drive that to Wayzata High School.... see how much he wants to drive then.
There's a perfect little truck up by the schwans rink if you come in the back way on 99th..... looks kinda like this but smaller and white... I keep telling my kid I'm gonna buy it as in upgrade for him

Anyone else seen it? :lol:

DMom

Post by DMom »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:
There's a perfect little truck up by the schwans rink if you come in the back way on 99th..... looks kinda like this but smaller and white... I keep telling my kid I'm gonna buy it as in upgrade for him

My Dad bought me a state patrol reject station wagon. Brown, with black primer over the shields on the doors,( and everywhere else). It was sooooo ugly, thank god I had a boyfriend to drive me around 8) . It was better than the giant orange DOT suburban he got for my older sister. They were "great deals". Think they still have those auctions :wink:
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:

Saw a similar one:

Can't Never Tried

Guy in the middle is awful close to the exhaust! :shock:
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote:

Seen it?!

I believe it belongs to one of my companies. :D
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

DMom wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Govs93 wrote: Yeah - I've threatened to buy him a $500 wood paneled station wagon, rip out the the back seats (plural... gonna make sure it's extra long & ugly), and weld a rusted old refrigerator in their place and make him drive that to Wayzata High School.... see how much he wants to drive then.

My Dad bought me a state patrol reject station wagon. Brown, with black primer over the shields on the doors,( and everywhere else). It was sooooo ugly, thank god I had a boyfriend to drive me around 8) . It was better than the giant orange DOT suburban he got for my older sister. They were "great deals". Think they still have those auctions :wink:
I 'knew' a girl that drove one like that.
How old are you?