So where is the bottom...?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:30 pm

packerboy wrote:
EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:I prefer to buy low and then just leave it. I've got enough time that it'll make me $.

:idea:
Folks who were in their late 50s 10 years ago said the same thing.
I would assume that they have made enough over the 30 years to deal with the fall.

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:36 pm

packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:
packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:Hey Nostradumass aka Warren Buffet of MNHOCK aka CNT - Were you along for today's 11% gain in the DJ? See, that's the trouble with timing the market, how do you know when to jump in or out?

AY 8)
AY, if you don't time the market or the individual stock, how do you make money?

Another bear trap today.
Four words - Buy low, sell high.

Either that, or ask CNT....

AY 8)
Doesn't buying low and selling high require..... timing?
To a degree, yes, as does everything in life. As you know, devil's advocate, the point is that no one(except CNT) has the ability to pick a point in time and say, "Today the market is at it's high point, I'm going to sell my positions" or conversely, "today the market is at it's low point so I'm jumping back in". Folks can and do try this all the time, but in doing so, most miss out on rallies like today. Most folks mentality is after a day like today, they think "wow, the market is coming back, I better jump back in" only to be sorry when it goes the other way the next day. Buy equities of companies you like and believe to be good buys and hold them until you think they are no longer good buys or you no longer like them. Or ask CNT.

AY 8)

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:45 pm

AngusYoung wrote:
packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:
packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:Hey Nostradumass aka Warren Buffet of MNHOCK aka CNT - Were you along for today's 11% gain in the DJ? See, that's the trouble with timing the market, how do you know when to jump in or out?

AY 8)
AY, if you don't time the market or the individual stock, how do you make money?

Another bear trap today.

AY 8)
To a degree, yes, as does everything in life. As you know, devil's advocate, the point is that no one(except CNT) has the ability to pick a point in time and say, "Today the market is at it's high point, I'm going to sell my positions" or conversely, "today the market is at it's low point so I'm jumping back in". Folks can and do try this all the time, but in doing so, most miss out on rallies like today. Most folks mentality is after a day like today, they think "wow, the market is coming back, I better jump back in" only to be sorry when it goes the other way the next day. Buy equities of companies you like and believe to be good buys and hold them until you think they are no longer good buys or you no longer like them. Or ask CNT.

AY 8)
Whatya think brokers do AY?? geez

It's not aboslute top/bottom it's trying to find that point where there is opportunity...

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:00 pm

AngusYoung wrote:
packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:
packerboy wrote:

AY 8)

Another bear trap today.

AY 8)

AY 8)
No, nobody can know the absolute top nor bottom to the market nor any individual stock. But buy and hold has been a disastar for many.

I like my old buddy John D Rockefellers answer to the question of how he made so much money in the stock market: "I sold too soon"