UND having name changed?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Teak

Post by Teak » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:10 am

nickmon3 wrote:I think the Indians should be proud such a great team is named after them. If they change the name they literally will have to tear down the ralph. They say the reason they chose to put so many logos in the arena is to make a name change less likely and more difficult to do.
And if high schools, colleges, universities, and pro teams had only used nicknames deriving from WASP sources (The Whiteys, Fighting Farmers), then the Native American sympathizers would have complained that Native American names were being boycotted.

I thought that of the two Sioux tribes (Standing Rock and Spirit Lake), one had actually given permission to continue using the Fighting Sioux name and logo. What happened?

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:12 am

The last I heard the other tribe still had not given permission.

bronx18

Post by bronx18 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:00 am

I have been to plenty of Sioux games, and before every game they have a picture show about how much they respect the Native Americans and how appreciative they are for the name. There is a contract that was signed many years ago from numerous amounts of Native American chiefs saying that it was okay to use the name. That alone should be proof enough that the name stays. I just think that they would not be the same team without a name like North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

Joey (nine toes) Marcoux

Post by Joey (nine toes) Marcoux » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:21 am

:shock:
Its over. What will they be called now?
:-k

starmvp

Post by starmvp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:37 pm

Sad to see the name go :cry:

MidwestHockey

Post by MidwestHockey » Tue May 18, 2010 4:40 am

I go to UND and heres what I know....President Kelly is proposing to the North Dakota board of higher education (the ones that forced us to change our name) that we just be the university of North Dakota, and not have a mascot... The rink manager said that they are not changing anything in the rink, the rink is privately owned so nobody can tell them to do anything, the Sioux will still play there. We have heard that they would keep the rink up because it is such an amazing arena, and it generates too much money...thats just what i know. We can still "unofficially" be the Sioux. Another thing, the board of education did not follow up on the deadline they set themselves, but instead moving on the issue earlier, so the native Americans were not truly heard. Despite the fact that about 70% of all Sioux Indians in the state support the name.

O'er the land of the free, and the home of the SIOUX!!!

observer

Post by observer » Thu May 27, 2010 3:14 pm

I heard the State may need to change their name from Dakota for the same reason. If the school can't use Sioux certainly the State can't use the name of another tribe, Dakota.