Twins to announce Mauer deal Sunday

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
clutterbuck22
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Twins to announce Mauer deal Sunday

Post by clutterbuck22 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:00 am

Heard on a radio show from a credible source that the Twins will announce a Mauer extension believed to be about 8 years 22 mil per year tomorrow. The Source was a guy who broke the O-dawg signing the day before it happened and broke the Favre story. The deal also is believed to have a 2 year option on it. Minnesota fans will no longer have to watch a young player with loads of talent leave. Hope this is true.

Goldfishdude
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Goldfishdude » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:50 am

It wasn't that long ago that Kirby Puckett was the first $3M ballplayer, and then Rickey Henderson literally signed for like $3.05M the next day.

Although I think the money for Mauer is too much, that's what the market calls for and yes, cluttie, it is great to keep the home boy here, and for a length of time.

I feel the same way for Mauer as I did for Gaborik. I would rather overpay to keep them in Minnesota, injury risk or not, than to see them wearing a different uniform. These are the guys we go watch play.

Joe's dad, Jake, was my American Legion coach for a year, before his kids were even a twinkle in his eyes, so I have the personal affection for Joe being here.

karl(east)
Posts: 6405
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:03 pm
Contact:

Post by karl(east) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:54 am

Gutsy move by the Twinkie front office. It's a great way to keep drawing people into the new stadium for years to come. My only worry is that it'll so limit the budget that they won't be able to surround him with enought talent. 8 years is also a lot for a catcher--we shall see how he holds up.

Full disclosure--once hockey season ends, I live and die New York Yankees.

Goldfishdude
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Goldfishdude » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:05 pm

karl(east) wrote:Gutsy move by the Twinkie front office. It's a great way to keep drawing people into the new stadium for years to come. My only worry is that it'll so limit the budget that they won't be able to surround him with enought talent. 8 years is also a lot for a catcher--we shall see how he holds up.

Full disclosure--once hockey season ends, I live and die New York Yankees.
I would not shed a tear to see the Twins trade Morneausi - IF AND ONLY IF finances dictated to do so.... Although Justin is an MVP, Mauer may not have much of a choice but to move to 1B some day.. Sure he wants to be a catcher, but at 6'4" or so, will he be able to handle it?? I hope so. I also think Cuddyer can fill the role at 1B admirably, at a few million $$ less.

Karl, ain't nothing wrong with the Yanks. I just love watching good baseball players.... I am a White Sox fan, too, but probably a bigger Red Sox fan, mainly because of Fenway Park.

I hope your Yankees enjoy second place this year....

Goldfishdude
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Goldfishdude » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Wait a minute!!! ](*,)

I went to CBS Sportsline, and it was announced they extended the contract to Nick Blackburn, not Joe Mauer!!!

Cluttie?? Are you sure you didn't hear that the "Twins were signing one of the pitcher's Joe Mauer catches?"

clutterbuck22
Posts: 659
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by clutterbuck22 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 pm

Goldfishdude wrote:Wait a minute!!! ](*,)

I went to CBS Sportsline, and it was announced they extended the contract to Nick Blackburn, not Joe Mauer!!!

Cluttie?? Are you sure you didn't hear that the "Twins were signing one of the pitcher's Joe Mauer catches?"
Nope I'm sure it was Mauer. I heard that this was a move to show Mauer they were committed.

Goldfishdude
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Goldfishdude » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:17 pm

clutterbuck22 wrote:
Goldfishdude wrote:Wait a minute!!! ](*,)

I went to CBS Sportsline, and it was announced they extended the contract to Nick Blackburn, not Joe Mauer!!!

Cluttie?? Are you sure you didn't hear that the "Twins were signing one of the pitcher's Joe Mauer catches?"
Nope I'm sure it was Mauer. I heard that this was a move to show Mauer they were committed.
It will get done..... soon...

wbmd
Posts: 3856
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Re: Twins to announce Mauer deal Sunday

Post by wbmd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm

clutterbuck22 wrote:Heard on a radio show from a credible source that the Twins will announce a Mauer extension believed to be about 8 years 22 mil per year tomorrow. The Source was a guy who broke the O-dawg signing the day before it happened and broke the Favre story. The deal also is believed to have a 2 year option on it. Minnesota fans will no longer have to watch a young player with loads of talent leave. Hope this is true.
I guess your source wasn't all that credible. Unless they were thinking of Mauer's look alike - Nick Blackburn.

sachishi4
Posts: 1178
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:15 pm
Location: SLP

Post by sachishi4 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:50 pm

just guessed the wrong sunday. 8 years, 23 million per and full no trade clause.

DEAL IS DONE!

from the star tribune twitter account
State ‘83, ‘91, ‘08, ‘20

Goldfishdude
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Goldfishdude » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:16 pm

sachishi4 wrote:just guessed the wrong sunday. 8 years, 23 million per and full no trade clause.

DEAL IS DONE!

from the star tribune twitter account
Sachs.... more money than I expected.. Well, I guess they say, if they're gonna pay it, he was worth it, but, geez...... $23M a year?? He better play 155 games a year with that salary....

I bet he breaks his hand on a foul tip before May 1......

starmvp
Posts: 3224
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: State of Hockey

Post by starmvp » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:37 pm

This is big for the organization!

wbmd
Posts: 3856
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Post by wbmd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:43 pm

sachishi4 wrote:just guessed the wrong sunday. 8 years, 23 million per and full no trade clause.

DEAL IS DONE!

from the star tribune twitter account
Won't be long til he flops. Just like most of the players who get the huge contracts.

Very over paid. Not just Mauer, but, all athletes and entertainers in general.

I highly doubt that it will happen, but, Mauer and all of the overpaid should give considerable amounts to the poor.

Goldfishdude
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Post by Goldfishdude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

wbmd wrote:
sachishi4 wrote:just guessed the wrong sunday. 8 years, 23 million per and full no trade clause.

DEAL IS DONE!

from the star tribune twitter account
Won't be long til he flops. Just like most of the players who get the huge contracts.

Very over paid. Not just Mauer, but, all athletes and entertainers in general.

I highly doubt that it will happen, but, Mauer and all of the overpaid should give considerable amounts to the poor.
As stated on KFAN w Dan "The Common Man" Cole...

It was stated by Jerry Bell of the Twins that a new stadium would increase team revenues $40M, and it was budgeted that $20M of that would be for salaries. So, in essance, the State of Minnesota and its taxpayers had a new stadium built just for Joe Mauer.

Kinda sick, isn't it?

Post Reply