And the hits just keep on coming in the Hockey world....

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am

IMO, the ref made a questionable call, but that doesn't excuse the reaction of the parent/spectator. There's no room for that behavior in the stands. But we live in a greatly less than perfect world and people are no different as well.

Some fans, especially some in particular, need to chill-out. Its just a game.

8)
The Puck
LGW

SPUDNUT
Posts: 978
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:43 pm
Location: Moorhead

Post by SPUDNUT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:55 am

I noticed he held onto that baby so nobody with any common sense would coldcock him !

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm

SPUDNUT wrote:I noticed he held onto that baby so nobody with any common sense would coldcock him !
Great defense!

I've seen the same defense in the news lately... #-o

8)
The Puck
LGW

DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Post by DekeDangler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Do you think charges could be brought up against this father for his physical threats to the parent confronting him? Hopefully he will chill from now on, knowing that there is video documentation(which is now on the web) of his outlandish behavior. Some reactions from parents/spectators are expected and tollerated. This is by no means even close. It's a good thing he was holding the baby because I'm sure someone would have popped him.

GPGT
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:24 pm

Post by GPGT » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:22 pm

the guy in glasses was a wimp with no spine.. I would have told him to quit hiding behind the infant , but he put his tail between his legs and walked away

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:25 am

Post by My_Kid_Loves_Hockey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 pm

If you look further, he then continued later in the game when the kid he called a midget broke his arm.

http://deadspin.com/bad-dads/
IMO, the ref made a questionable call, but that doesn't excuse the reaction of the parent/spectator. There's no room for that behavior in the stands. But we live in a greatly less than perfect world and people are no different as well.
Just remember, there is no stipulation for size differences in the rule for head contact, the onus is on the player making the check.............

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:29 pm

DekeDangler wrote:Do you think charges could be brought up against this father for his physical threats to the parent confronting him?
Nope.

He eloquently expressed he would defend himself if touched/harmed.

By no means am I on this guy's side, but no intervention of legal recourse was necessary.

Just two spectators mouthing-off at one another.

8)
The Puck
LGW

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm

My_Kid_Loves_Hockey wrote:If you look further, he then continued later in the game when the kid he called a midget broke his arm.
He should get the "Man of the Year" award....

8)
The Puck
LGW

DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Post by DekeDangler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:32 pm

[quote="PuckU126"]IMO, the ref made a questionable call, but that doesn't excuse the reaction of the parent/spectator. There's no room for that behavior in the stands. But we live in a greatly less than perfect world and people are no different as well.

Some fans, especially some in particular, need to chill-out. Its just a game.

8)[/quote]

Questionable call? I don't think so if you are saying there should not have been a call. The smaller player, clearly had gotten rid of the puck and the finishing check, of that severity, was unecessary. There appears to be an intent to injure with that hit. I think the larger player needs to adjust his morale compass a little.

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm

DekeDangler wrote:Questionable call? I don't think so if you are saying there should not have been a call. The smaller player, clearly had gotten rid of the puck and the finishing check, of that severity, was unecessary. There appears to be an intent to injure with that hit. I think the larger player needs to adjust his morale compass a little.
Now we're just speculating.

Should the larger player ease off? Yeah, he should have, but it wasn't a malicious blow. He was finishing his check (as you have stated) which happens all the time. The outcome of that hit would have been different had he checked a played with equal or greater size.

Was there intent to injure? We don't know, and that's where we draw into the gray area of speculating.

8)
The Puck
LGW

DekeDangler
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Post by DekeDangler » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 pm

[quote="PuckU126"][quote="DekeDangler"]Questionable call? I don't think so if you are saying there should not have been a call. The smaller player, clearly had gotten rid of the puck and the finishing check, of that severity, was unecessary. There appears to be an intent to injure with that hit. I think the larger player needs to adjust his morale compass a little.[/quote]
Now we're just speculating.

Should the larger player ease off? Yeah, he should have, but it wasn't a malicious blow. He was finishing his check (as you have stated) which happens all the time. The outcome of that hit would have been different had he checked a played with equal or greater size.

Was there intent to injure? We don't know, and that's where we draw into the gray area of speculating.

8)[/quote]

I agree that there is speculation there and that the outcome would have been diferent if the other player was of equal size or bigger. The other player wasn't though. The speculation is, the larger player was either trying injure the other player or just lacked better judgement. They are younger players and that's where the coaches and parents need step in and guide this young man in the direction of a player that can be physical and be a gentlemen about it. It's these gray areas, as you mentioned, that makes these forums dificult at times.

Defensive Zone
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 am

Post by Defensive Zone » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:10 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey wrote:If you look further, he then continued later in the game when the kid he called a midget broke his arm.
He should get the "Man of the Year" award....

8)
How about "Father of the Year" also? It makes me proud to be involved in youth sports.

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 pm

DekeDangler wrote:I agree that there is speculation there and that the outcome would have been diferent if the other player was of equal size or bigger. The other player wasn't though. The speculation is, the larger player was either trying injure the other player or just lacked better judgement. They are younger players and that's where the coaches and parents need step in and guide this young man in the direction of a player that can be physical and be a gentlemen about it. It's these gray areas, as you mentioned, that makes these forums dificult at times.
Agreed.

8)
The Puck
LGW

PuckU126
Posts: 3769
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:52 pm
Location: Minnesota
Contact:

Post by PuckU126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Defensive Zone wrote:
PuckU126 wrote:
My_Kid_Loves_Hockey wrote:If you look further, he then continued later in the game when the kid he called a midget broke his arm.
He should get the "Man of the Year" award....

8)
How about "Father of the Year" also? It makes me proud to be involved in youth sports.
Sure, why not!?

What father doesn't argue in public with an infant in their arms?

8)
The Puck
LGW

Deck Slide
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:41 pm

Post by Deck Slide » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:05 pm

PuckU126 wrote:
DekeDangler wrote:I agree that there is speculation there and that the outcome would have been diferent if the other player was of equal size or bigger. The other player wasn't though. The speculation is, the larger player was either trying injure the other player or just lacked better judgement. They are younger players and that's where the coaches and parents need step in and guide this young man in the direction of a player that can be physical and be a gentlemen about it. It's these gray areas, as you mentioned, that makes these forums dificult at times.
Agreed.

8)
He finished his check which in todays game is a huge gray area. Even 2 yrs ago that would be considered a decent hit. Now in lies a problem, each players size. A big kid just can not get away with hitting smaller guys these days in a fashion that would bring noise from the fans or boards in any game. If he does more likey than not he is getting a penalty. If the roles would have been reversed and the little guy checked the big kid into the boards in this manner play goes on. Big kid hits little kid there is always going to be head contact.. So do big kids just not hit little kids?

observer
Posts: 2225
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by observer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Carefully. Not worth the risk of getting a penalty since refs often see these hits differently. Angle the body and play the puck for no call.

green4
Posts: 1481
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:02 am
Location: Edina

Post by green4 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm

GPGT wrote:the guy in glasses was a wimp with no spine.. I would have told him to quit hiding behind the infant , but he put his tail between his legs and walked away
Yes he backed down but could you blame him? The man yelling got right up into his face and threatened him not to mention the man yelling was noticeably bigger and seemed crazy enough to do what he was saying. I felt bad for the son's father. He was trying to protect his son by telling him to stop but he was definitely not looking for a way to settle it physically.

Post Reply