times have changed on this forum ...

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:45 pm

east hockey wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:More people would read your posts if you changed your screen name to "IHaveDibs".
You are a reason why this forum is dying thank you for proving a point, it was a joke me and my dad had, so thanks for being that "old guy".
No problem, but know that it was a joke I was having on you. :P
I know how social media works, and I know you were doing that on purpose. It just sucks because I'm just trying to make a point, and you couldn't give it a serious read for two seconds. I'm just trying to help get this place back on the map. I mean that don't even have all the games on here. That never used to happen that's why everyone should just give up and go to www.mnhockeyhub.com that place has way more game updates and actually has all the games.
East hockey maybe as the one of the people running the site you should get on that...
I'm far more likely to offer you some cheese to go with that whine.

Lee
Did jesus tell you that in the third grade? What was he like?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Did jesus tell you that in the third grade? What was he like?

He had dibs too. :)

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:53 pm

IGotDibs wrote:

Me and my dad
My Dad and I.

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:

Me and my dad
My Dad and I.
O, no did I spark everyone coming out of retirement? 8)

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm

I think there are a couple separate issues here.

One is the crackdown on student sections in some places. I think many fans of HS hockey will agree this has hurt the atmosphere at games. I don't think that trend is at all related to the direction of this forum, though.

I'm young. I was still in high school when I started posting on here, and I've watched it evolve over the past 8 years. (Okay, that makes me feel old.) Back in the mid-00s, there was no place to go online for fast scores (or quality chirps). Now the Hub and Twitter have those covered, and in a much more systematic fashion than this eclectic message board could manage.

So we've evolved some, and gotten a bit more serious. (Well, sometimes.) I think we're just filling a new niche, and covering the many things that you can't learn from a stat sheet or 140 characters, and allowing for much more long-winded and season-long trash talk. As a result, yes, the crowd here has gotten a little older. That said, there are still a number of quality younger contributors, and there's no reason there can't be more of them. I agree that the grammar police can go over the top, but at the same time, if you're letting the grammar police drive you away, that's kinda sad. I know I took some crap on here when I started out, but I never let it bother me. You just have to learn to play the game.

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:02 pm

karl(east) wrote:I think there are a couple separate issues here.

One is the crackdown on student sections in some places. I think many fans of HS hockey will agree this has hurt the atmosphere at games. I don't think that trend is at all related to the direction of this forum, though.

I'm young. I was still in high school when I started posting on here, and I've watched it evolve over the past 8 years. (Okay, that makes me feel old.) Back in the mid-00s, there was no place to go online for fast scores (or quality chirps). Now the Hub and Twitter have those covered, and in a much more systematic fashion than this eclectic message board could manage.

So we've evolved some, and gotten a bit more serious. (Well, sometimes.) I think we're just filling a new niche, and covering the many things that you can't learn from a stat sheet or 140 characters
, and allowing for much more long-winded and season-long trash talk. As a result, yes, the crowd here has gotten a little older. That said, there are still a number of quality younger contributors, and there's no reason there can't be more of them. I agree that the grammar police can go over the top, but at the same time, if you're letting the grammar police drive you away, that's kinda sad. I know I took some crap on here when I started out, but I never let it bother me. You just have to learn to play the game.
Thank you East for real that's what I was looking for. I love the older guys, but some of them just kill it for everybody. I love this forum more then anything on the Internet, we just got to get it back to its potential again. I'm sorry I had to be a little, butt sore but I just felt that there were a ton of people not wanting to post or couldn't relate and it sucked to see. Anyway thanks for that post and the young pest is done.

OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:03 pm

IGotDibs wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:

Me and my dad
My Dad and I.
O,
Oh

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:04 pm

IGotDibs wrote:
karl(east) wrote:I think there are a couple separate issues here.

So we've evolved some, and gotten a bit more serious. (Well, sometimes.) I think we're just filling a new niche, and covering the many things that you can't learn from a stat sheet or 140 characters
, and allowing for much more long-winded and season-long trash talk. As a result, yes, the crowd here has gotten a little older. That said, there are still a number of quality younger contributors, and there's no reason there can't be more of them. I agree that the grammar police can go over the top, but at the same time, if you're letting the grammar police drive you away, that's kinda sad. I know I took some crap on here when I started out, but I never let it bother me. You just have to learn to play the game.
Thank you East for real that's what I was looking for. I love the older guys, but some of them just kill it for everybody. I love this forum more then anything on the Internet, we just got to get it back to its potential again. I'm sorry I had to be a little, butt sore but I just felt that there were a ton of people not wanting to post or couldn't relate and it sucked to see. Anyway thanks for that post and the young pest is done.
And you guys don't have to be getting serious we are all unknown people it's time to just have fun again. I never was a poster I just liked reading what everyone had to say!!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:05 pm

O, no did I spark everyone coming out of retirement? Cool

Okay- I won't bother you anymore.

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 pm

OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
OGEE OGELTHORPE wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:

Me and my dad
My Dad and I.
O,
Oh
What was it like to dream in black and white? I'm just curious?

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:O, no did I spark everyone coming out of retirement? Cool

Okay- I won't bother you anymore.
Ha I don't mind you

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:08 pm

And just like that we are three pages deep on a thread!! \:D/

StPaulJohnsonGuy

Post by StPaulJohnsonGuy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 am

goldy313 wrote:Man, you should have been around with Slapshooter, Videoscout, Neutron, Packerboy, Joe Dudic, Ram Hockey, et. al. We still get HShockeywatcher, Elliott, Sparlimb (on occasion)
Sounds like I missed a lot. Wish I had gotten to know those guys.

whos_it

Post by whos_it » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:58 pm

StPaulJohnsonGuy wrote:
goldy313 wrote:Man, you should have been around with Slapshooter, Videoscout, Neutron, Packerboy, Joe Dudic, Ram Hockey, et. al. We still get HShockeywatcher, Elliott, Sparlimb (on occasion)
Sounds like I missed a lot. Wish I had gotten to know those guys.
Slapshooter was a classic but his grammar was never perfect NOR was it questioned because he had great insight ..... yes, times have changed on this board.

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Banished to the Cafe is another classic bush league move.

Something's never change on this bored.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:34 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:Banished to the Cafe is another classic bush league move.

Something's never change on this bored.
Poh baby.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

StPaulJohnsonGuy

Post by StPaulJohnsonGuy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:58 am

Wow. Sarcasm is thick you people here! I hope nobody banishes me to just the Cafe. It's too cold for that! LOL!

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 am

StPaulJohnsonGuy wrote:Wow. Sarcasm is thick you people here! I hope nobody banishes me to just the Cafe. It's too cold for that! LOL!
Space heaters are provided but they're assigned according to a user name's seniority (we don't grandfather in time spent under their old names) :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

StPaulJohnsonGuy

Post by StPaulJohnsonGuy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:05 pm

east hockey wrote:
StPaulJohnsonGuy wrote:Wow. Sarcasm is thick you people here! I hope nobody banishes me to just the Cafe. It's too cold for that! LOL!
Space heaters are provided but they're assigned according to a user name's seniority (we don't grandfather in time spent under their old names) :)

Lee
I don't really get it, but space heaters! LOL!