times have changed on this forum ...

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:53 am

goldy313 wrote:The Petey/Slapshooter threads were about as good as it gets. For those who don't know Petey was a Jefferson guy through and through and SS was a section 8 guy (both in terms of geography and Maxwell Q. Klinger) and among his many talents Slapshooter could Petey going at any moment. In my opinion those were the best two posters this forum has seen. Demise of the rink rat was/is a topic anyone involved with running youth hockey anywhere would be wise to read. When SS was serious he was about as smart as it comes in relation to hockey and its evolution, when he wasn't he was still a good read.

There was an article linked on here about Bader and the WHL, it did remind me of the multiple Bader names we had, baderisgod, badersucks, BIAFP (use your imagination on that) etc.

(Lulic not Dudic I think)

Sheids was great as well, there was a great core of posters.

Among the other greats were a guy from Princeton, there was a poster who committed suicide, that really shook the "bored" I think and we were all fans of his posts.

Sterfry and hockeydad don't post much anymore but they're section 1 old timers I like to hear from and have really good takes.

TBC will keep me awake trying to figure out who that is....but the goldy/moldy reference is at least 10 years old and dissapeared after the Moorhead/Holy Smokes championship game :shock:
Whatever happened to the "Shady Bunch" they were a riot. :lol:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:30 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
goldy313 wrote:The Petey/Slapshooter threads were about as good as it gets. For those who don't know Petey was a Jefferson guy through and through and SS was a section 8 guy (both in terms of geography and Maxwell Q. Klinger) and among his many talents Slapshooter could Petey going at any moment. In my opinion those were the best two posters this forum has seen. Demise of the rink rat was/is a topic anyone involved with running youth hockey anywhere would be wise to read. When SS was serious he was about as smart as it comes in relation to hockey and its evolution, when he wasn't he was still a good read.

There was an article linked on here about Bader and the WHL, it did remind me of the multiple Bader names we had, baderisgod, badersucks, BIAFP (use your imagination on that) etc.

Among the other greats were a guy from Princeton, there was a poster who committed suicide, that really shook the "bored" I think and we were all fans of his posts.

Sterfry and hockeydad don't post much anymore but they're section 1 old timers I like to hear from and have really good takes.

TBC will keep me awake trying to figure out who that is....but the goldy/moldy reference is at least 10 years old and dissapeared after the Moorhead/Holy Smokes championship game :shock:
Some of them are out there lurking.
Some can be found in a pub in Brainerd.
Others just got a life or maybe a wife.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:33 am

I am still here. My team is not as skilled as they have been in the past, but they have glimmers of hope. I do not get to as many games as I had in the past so I cannot comment with enough conviction on the team.
My other team, Richfield is having a real tough time, but hopefully something will change.
I still get out to games, and will enjoy the State Tourney in my usual seats.

There maybe news about both clubs in Richfield in the near future, but it is mostly rumor.
GO STARS

Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:49 am

elliott70 wrote:

A few even make it down during tourney time every year and share a beer. Good guys...

Tron

Post by Tron » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:48 am

As a new guy here, one of the biggest hindrances was actually getting my profile setup so I could post, for weeks when I would try the system would say it was sending me an email (that never came), finally sometime a couple weeks ago the system finally sent one out. The site wasn't registering new users for a long time, that and the site has been going down and up for awhile.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:44 pm

Tron wrote:As a new guy here, one of the biggest hindrances was actually getting my profile setup so I could post, for weeks when I would try the system would say it was sending me an email (that never came), finally sometime a couple weeks ago the system finally sent one out. The site wasn't registering new users for a long time, that and the site has been going down and up for awhile.
Yeah, the sign-up emails have been spotty, and PM notification emails have also died.

For the record, if any lurkers out there are waiting for the email, send me an email and I can manually activate accounts.

I think we're due for some updating after this State Tourney...

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:00 pm

karl(east) wrote:
Tron wrote:As a new guy here, one of the biggest hindrances was actually getting my profile setup so I could post, for weeks when I would try the system would say it was sending me an email (that never came), finally sometime a couple weeks ago the system finally sent one out. The site wasn't registering new users for a long time, that and the site has been going down and up for awhile.
Yeah, the sign-up emails have been spotty, and PM notification emails have also died.

For the record, if any lurkers out there are waiting for the email, send me an email and I can manually activate accounts.

I think we're due for some updating after this State Tourney...
Try and keep it on topic, huh Admin? :lol:

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Zamman wrote:I am still here. My team is not as skilled as they have been in the past, but they have glimmers of hope. I do not get to as many games as I had in the past so I cannot comment with enough conviction on the team.
My other team, Richfield is having a real tough time, but hopefully something will change.
I still get out to games, and will enjoy the State Tourney in my usual seats.

There maybe news about both clubs in Richfield in the near future, but it is mostly rumor.
GO STARS
Good to read you my friend. Back in the day, (doesn't that make us sound old) you Starsalum and Kodiak made a formidable trio. Hengen, then Barribal and you guys had a lot to be proud and talk about.

Greg's illness shocked everyone. I'm sorry I didn't make it back for condolences.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Goldyismoldy wrote:Try and keep it on topic, huh Admin? :lol:
Either that, or I'm too young to be of any use recalling memories from this forum's neolithic days. :)

Goldyismoldy

Post by Goldyismoldy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Sparlimb wrote:
elliott70 wrote:

A few even make it down during tourney time every year and share a beer. Good guys...
Everything goes well....

Until Elliott forgets his wallet in the room. Every year. But if he wants to make the lawyer pay it's fine with me.

ITS TIME!!! (Cue Bruce Buffer)

And where the hell is everybody?

Now is the time for "Up For Grabs" type threads. Nothing big picture, lasting or iconic is on the first 5 pages...

You people think small these days.

Serious props to the 3A thread. 62,900 views. That's eff'n fabulous. But you Shirley's have a ways to go. Get there.
Stitch Lips wrote:
Junior Samples wrote:Come and listen to a story about a team colored blue
A former fighting Sioux, kept 'em guessing with no clue,
Then one day he was confronted by some rams,
so he turned them into frightened little lambs,

ovine that is, green wool, tasty chops.

Well the first thing they built was muscle into steel,
Kinfolk said "These boys are for real"
Said "Xcel is the place you ought to be"
So they loaded up the bus and drove to St. Pauly.

Energy Center, that is. Fancy Suites, screaming fans.

Well now its time to say goodbye to Roseau and all their kin.
And we would like to thank them folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back again to this locality
when you get that seeded spot at good ole number three.

Bluesbuddy that is. Slapshooter style, Take your skates off.

Y'all come back now, y'hear?

It's been a long time since we rock 'n rolled ...

IGotDibs

You old guys killed it.

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:58 pm

With all of your political correctness, you're spelling tiffs and murdering people for not using the best grammar, some of you probably have your wife spell check your post. I mean look at the guy who posted second on this. He was ripping a guy for not being here 7 years ago, well pal for some of us we were only 16 so kick rocks. You guys ruin everything for yourselves. You complain that student sections suck, well yeah because people like you guys can't let kids have just an ounce of fun. Why do you think kids don't want to go to games any more? Because there is always some guy 30 to 49 bitching about everything. You wonder why things die it's because of you. Take anything on the Internet, no one my age goes on Facebook because you guys have totally ruined it. That's why we have Twitter because most of you guys have barley learned how to turn the caps lock off long enough to make a Facebook post. I a, not talking that all men 30 + are no fun but everyone knows who you are. It's the grammar nazis, it's the I know more then you, it's the grumpy old guy saying how everything older is better, it's the superintendents and ADs killing school spirit, it's the mom complaining about everything that people are doing. If you nazis just kept to yourself for two seconds maybe people would want to stay here. Just saying sorry for the rant.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:26 pm

More people would read your posts if you changed your screen name to "IHaveDibs".

Sotaboy

Re: You old guys killed it.

Post by Sotaboy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:31 pm

IGotDibs wrote:With all of your political correctness, you're spelling tiffs and murdering people for not using the best grammar, some of you probably have your wife spell check your post. I mean look at the guy who posted second on this. He was ripping a guy for not being here 7 years ago, well pal for some of us we were only 16 so kick rocks. You guys ruin everything for yourselves. You complain that student sections suck, well yeah because people like you guys can't let kids have just an ounce of fun. Why do you think kids don't want to go to games any more? Because there is always some guy 30 to 49 bitching about everything. You wonder why things die it's because of you. Take anything on the Internet, no one my age goes on Facebook because you guys have totally ruined it. That's why we have Twitter because most of you guys have barley learned how to turn the caps lock off long enough to make a Facebook post. I a, not talking that all men 30 + are no fun but everyone knows who you are. It's the grammar nazis, it's the I know more then you, it's the grumpy old guy saying how everything older is better, it's the superintendents and ADs killing school spirit, it's the mom complaining about everything that people are doing. If you nazis just kept to yourself for two seconds maybe people would want to stay here. Just saying sorry for the rant.
I'd have to agree on that. Most students stopping going to games because there isn't such a thing as chirping anymore. Kids can't do anything that is deemed as questionably tasteless, kids can't even makes signs in some places. It's bad for the sport, what some ADs are doing that is. Too many ADs are worried about being politically correct and less about true emotion. Too many ADs are worried about getting promoted and less about being apart of a community.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:33 pm

Why do you think kids don't want to go to games any more? Because there is always some guy 30 to 49 bitching about everything.

Is that really why you quit going to games? #-o

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:38 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Why do you think kids don't want to go to games any more? Because there is always some guy 30 to 49 bitching about everything.

Is that really why you quit going to games? #-o
No way I'm a college kid I have season tickets to my schools games in Bemidji I go to the Lumberjacks games. Me and my dad go to the state hockey tournament every year with our season tickets and have been going since I was three. I love the game, I have a ton of friends that they arn't there for the love of the game but simply to chirp every player on the other team, say some horribly raunchy things, and maybe be drunk doing it, but no one can hang with that. I remember watching Moorheads black hole, white bear holding up a vagina with their hands when a kid got hurt, good old 216, and that's just the top of my list. Those were some of my best memories were those cheers or just kids being creative. Now there are student sections that the leaders are sitting by cops or ADs about to get kicked out, would you want to go? And that's besides the point the topic is why people don't come I'm just dropping a younger persons perspective on why the old people ruin it for everyone

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:42 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:More people would read your posts if you changed your screen name to "IHaveDibs".
You are a reason why this forum is dying thank you for proving a point, it was a joke me and my dad had, so thanks for being that "old guy".

whos_it

Post by whos_it » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Igotdibs ...... I am with you.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 pm

No way I'm a college kid I have season tickets to my schools games in Bemidji I go to the Lumberjacks games. Me and my dad go to the state hockey tournament every year with our season tickets and have been going since I was three. I love the game, I have a ton of friends that they arn't there for the love of the game but simply to chirp every player on the other team, say some horribly raunchy things, and maybe be drunk doing it, but no one can hang with that. I remember watching Moorheads black hole, white bear holding up a vagina with their hands when a kid got hurt, good old 216, and that's just the top of my list. Those were some of my best memories were those cheers or just kids being creative. Now there are student sections that the leaders are sitting by cops or ADs about to get kicked out, would you want to go? And that's besides the point the topic is why people don't come I'm just dropping a younger persons perspective on why the old people ruin it for everyone

Hang in there. You can outlast the old people. :)

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:No way I'm a college kid I have season tickets to my schools games in Bemidji I go to the Lumberjacks games. Me and my dad go to the state hockey tournament every year with our season tickets and have been going since I was three. I love the game, I have a ton of friends that they arn't there for the love of the game but simply to chirp every player on the other team, say some horribly raunchy things, and maybe be drunk doing it, but no one can hang with that. I remember watching Moorheads black hole, white bear holding up a vagina with their hands when a kid got hurt, good old 216, and that's just the top of my list. Those were some of my best memories were those cheers or just kids being creative. Now there are student sections that the leaders are sitting by cops or ADs about to get kicked out, would you want to go? And that's besides the point the topic is why people don't come I'm just dropping a younger persons perspective on why the old people ruin it for everyone

I don't want to outlast the old people I remember being a freshman in high school and finding this forum was one of the best things ever, a look into hockey in the best state ever from every section. I don't want it to go away, but it almost takes the air out of me looking at the things people post on here.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:05 pm

IGotDibs wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:No way I'm a college kid I have season tickets to my schools games in Bemidji I go to the Lumberjacks games. Me and my dad go to the state hockey tournament every year with our season tickets and have been going since I was three. I love the game, I have a ton of friends that they arn't there for the love of the game but simply to chirp every player on the other team, say some horribly raunchy things, and maybe be drunk doing it, but no one can hang with that. I remember watching Moorheads black hole, white bear holding up a vagina with their hands when a kid got hurt, good old 216, and that's just the top of my list. Those were some of my best memories were those cheers or just kids being creative. Now there are student sections that the leaders are sitting by cops or ADs about to get kicked out, would you want to go? And that's besides the point the topic is why people don't come I'm just dropping a younger persons perspective on why the old people ruin it for everyone

I don't want to outlast the old people I remember being a freshman in high school and finding this forum was one of the best things ever, a look into hockey in the best state ever from every section. I don't want it to go away, but it almost takes the air out of me looking at the things people post on here.
Okay.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:14 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:More people would read your posts if you changed your screen name to "IHaveDibs".
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Perfect.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:18 pm

IGotDibs wrote:
You are a reason why this forum is dying thank you for proving a point, it was a joke me and my dad had, so thanks for being that "old guy".
No problem, but know that it was a joke I was having on you. :P

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:32 pm

MNHockeyFan wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
I know how social media works, and I know you were doing that on purpose. It just sucks because I'm just trying to make a point, and you couldn't give it a serious read for two seconds. I'm just trying to help get this place back on the map. I mean that don't even have all the games on here. That never used to happen that's why everyone should just give up and go to www.mnhockeyhub.com that place has way more game updates and actually has all the games.

IGotDibs

Post by IGotDibs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:33 pm

IGotDibs wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
I know how social media works, and I know you were doing that on purpose. It just sucks because I'm just trying to make a point, and you couldn't give it a serious read for two seconds. I'm just trying to help get this place back on the map. I mean that don't even have all the games on here. That never used to happen that's why everyone should just give up and go to www.mnhockeyhub.com that place has way more game updates and actually has all the games.
East hockey maybe as the one of the people running the site you should get on that...

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm

IGotDibs wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
MNHockeyFan wrote:
IGotDibs wrote:
East hockey maybe as the one of the people running the site you should get on that...
I'm far more likely to offer you some cheese to go with that whine.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006