Neutron 14

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

goldy313

Neutron 14

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:12 am

Neut, aka Don Simonson, an old bored member, passed away due to a brain tumor on January 20th. He was among the longest survivors of a glioblastoma in medical history. A celebration of his life will be held in White Bear Lake on Monday, I plan to attend. As death drew near we talked a lot about birds and what a simple pleasure they bring.... I heard a cardinal signing the other day and immediately thought of Neut.
What a crappy week!

MrBoDangles

Re: Neutron 14

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:57 am

Very sorry to hear this.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:35 am

Thank you for the info Goldy. I knew he was in a long hard battle. I never met him but we did text back and forth a few times. (Mostly when Centennial or Rapids was playing well).

Sad news for sure. The Old Bored was a blast when all of those guys were here. They provided many entertaining evenings during that time.

Somewhere Neut and Cnt are sitting in the sun having a cold one and wetting a line. I miss them both.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:33 pm

He was a good poster.
He knew hockey.
And he will be missed.
May God bless his soul.
Last edited by elliott70 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:37 pm

RIP Neuty.
What is a Green Wave anyway?

Flounder

Post by Flounder » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:33 pm

I miss our discussions. PioneerPrideGuy.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:00 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:37 pm
RIP Neuty.
RIP Neutron...the form of cancer he had spares no one...

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 pm

Goldy313, thanks for posting this. Sad news indeed.

I met Don in the mid-2000s when a group of Bored members started meeting and hanging out at the Liffey before, during, and after the Thursday AA State Tourney games. Don was a character! He was kind of the ringleader, though it took him a couple of tourneys to figure out that pacing is mandatory on those long Thursdays. Until about four years ago when my girlfriend started coming to the tourney with me, Don was my seatmate and oftentimes my ride to St.Paul on quarterfinal Thursday. We would have to have a pre-game warm-up bloody Mary and an obligatory conservative v. liberal political discussion, which Don felt should be civil and that we should listen to each other, even though his side was right. Then we'd amble over to the arena and tumble into our seats, usually mid-first period and with a self righteous tsk-tsk from one of our seat neighbors, who Don happened to know.

When my dad died in 2012, the funeral was the day before the start of the tournament. My dad was not a sports fan, but he would take me to high school games in Bemidji and it sparked my love for the game. When I shared that story with Don as we met up on that Thursday, I remember he told me that my dad was being a good dad, doing something he wasn't interested in for his kid, which provided me with some comfort.

So my thoughts go out to Don's family, particularly his son who would drive us to St.Paul and who Don seemed quite proud of. And there's a Thursday coming soon when I'll hold up a Bloody Mary glass in the Liffey and toast to Don (and CNT).
It's hard to win when you always lose.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:23 pm

ChrisK wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:16 pm
Goldy313, thanks for posting this. Sad news indeed.

I met Don in the mid-2000s when a group of Bored members started meeting and hanging out at the Liffey before, during, and after the Thursday AA State Tourney games. Don was a character! He was kind of the ringleader, though it took him a couple of tourneys to figure out that pacing is mandatory on those long Thursdays. Until about four years ago when my girlfriend started coming to the tourney with me, Don was my seatmate and oftentimes my ride to St.Paul on quarterfinal Thursday. We would have to have a pre-game warm-up bloody Mary and an obligatory conservative v. liberal political discussion, which Don felt should be civil and that we should listen to each other, even though his side was right. Then we'd amble over to the arena and tumble into our seats, usually mid-first period and with a self righteous tsk-tsk from one of our seat neighbors, who Don happened to know.

When my dad died in 2012, the funeral was the day before the start of the tournament. My dad was not a sports fan, but he would take me to high school games in Bemidji and it sparked my love for the game. When I shared that story with Don as we met up on that Thursday, I remember he told me that my dad was being a good dad, doing something he wasn't interested in for his kid, which provided me with some comfort.

So my thoughts go out to Don's family, particularly his son who would drive us to St.Paul and who Don seemed quite proud of. And there's a Thursday coming soon when I'll hold up a Bloody Mary glass in the Liffey and toast to Don (and CNT).
Thanks for sharing such a personal story. Frames the man well. Cherish those memories. Leaving memories like that for others is all we can hope for - sounds like a good Duder! May God rest his soul.

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm

I did not know Neut but enjoyed all of his posts and banter, Neut and the old crew were fun to follow in the old cafe days

God bless him and his family

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:07 pm

http://
Minnesota hockey forum .
freeforums.net/thread/97/neutron14?page=2&scrollTo=1925
For those that would like to see the obit and post a tribute.

[edited by Lee]

Here is the direct link to the obit:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twinc ... &fhid=6089

Lee

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:00 am

20+ years ago.....prior to twitter, Instagram, etc. this was the place to get hockey scores and information. During sections this where the scores came in, literally you had to wait for someone who attended the game to come home and wait for their modem to dial up to the internet then post the score. We were ahead of the AP, in fact the AP would often use our posts.

In 2002 the “old bored” shut down and Mitch and Lee moved to this bored. There are still a few “old bored” members still around....easthockey, goldy313, hockeydad, Ram Hockey, Zamman, citiesspudguy, rocketwrister, ghshockeyfan, greenandwhitefan, ChrisK, sparlimb,etc. but not many of us....we actually predate elliot70 and Karl!

After the start of the “new bored” some members left, largely over politics. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but both sides were strong in my opinion but easthockey did his best to contain politics to a specific thread. People pushed the rules....That lead to a schism and we lost some really good posters to another board. Neut and CNT were among them and why they deserve a mention here. Good guys, good hockey people, and quite frankly guys who made this bored what it is. They have been missed and will be missed.

Someday I look forward to sitting in a row at the tournament with CNT, Neut, Slapshooter, Petey1321, easthockey, elliot70, chrisK, sparlimb, etc and debating high school hockey.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:42 am

goldy313 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:00 am
20+ years ago.....prior to twitter, Instagram, etc. this was the place to get hockey scores and information. During sections this where the scores came in, literally you had to wait for someone who attended the game to come home and wait for their modem to dial up to the internet then post the score. We were ahead of the AP, in fact the AP would often use our posts.

In 2002 the “old bored” shut down and Mitch and Lee moved to this bored. There are still a few “old bored” members still around....easthockey, goldy313, hockeydad, Ram Hockey, Zamman, citiesspudguy, rocketwrister, ghshockeyfan, greenandwhitefan, ChrisK, sparlimb,etc. but not many of us....we actually predate elliot70 and Karl!

After the start of the “new bored” some members left, largely over politics. Hindsight is 20/20 of course but both sides were strong in my opinion but easthockey did his best to contain politics to a specific thread. People pushed the rules....That lead to a schism and we lost some really good posters to another board. Neut and CNT were among them and why they deserve a mention here. Good guys, good hockey people, and quite frankly guys who made this bored what it is. They have been missed and will be missed.

Someday I look forward to sitting in a row at the tournament with CNT, Neut, Slapshooter, Petey1321, easthockey, elliot70, chrisK, sparlimb, etc and debating high school hockey.
:D

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:36 am

Every day this Oriole sits on the power line in my backyard and sings. 5:30 am and 9:00 pm. I am convinced this is Neut. I drink my coffee every morning listening to him, I water my peppers every evening listening to him..... Neut, I miss you buddy!