CoVid-19

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Schotzy

Re: CoVid-19

Post by Schotzy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am

There is a place on this board for this type of topic. One that allows this particular forum to stay on high school hockey. The place for this topic was in The Cafe. http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

Of course, I don't know how many people either know of/use "The Cafe".

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 am

Schotzy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am
There is a place on this board for this type of topic. One that allows this particular forum to stay on high school hockey. The place for this topic was in The Cafe. http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6

Normally I would agree with you, but I think the title of this topic should be enough that people who didn't want to read about it or discuss it would steer clear.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:49 am

east hockey wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 am
Schotzy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:31 am

Normally I would agree with you, but I think the title of this topic should be enough that people who didn't want to read about it or discuss it would steer clear.

Lee
I would have "steered clear", except I initially thought it would be a discussion about how the HS tourney was completed just ahead of it, that MN youth had their tourneys canceled, etc, etc. I expected a hockey angle. When I started reading, my first thought was that this should be moved to the cafe.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:52 pm

http://www.ushsho.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1

Some people need a refresher, specifically #5.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 am

When I initially started this thread it was to bring attention to the fact this would affect everyone, even the high school hockey fan. I knew that the potential for it to be politicized was there. So is every thread related to Hermantown.

I was banned from Facebook for 30 days for this statement....”I worry our Constitutional rights are being thrown out without the declaration of Martial Law. The right to assemble is a Constitutional right, to negate it requires a declaration of Martial law which hasn’t happened in any state or a court order which also hasn’t happened.”

Governors, of both parties, have declared the suspension of Constitutional rights without declaring Martial Law. They have suspended the judiciary in many states. Rochester has suspended public comments at city council meetings.

No offense, high school sports may be done for the foreseeable future. I am pretty sure that is a topic worthy of discussion. There will be no spring sports, with predictions from the Governor yesterday that we, as a state, will need similar mitigation efforts this fall, after a peak in late June or mid July, what world you are living in that high school hockey actually matters anymore?

I wish it did, the Mayo Clinic is losing, by their own estimates, $3 million a day. They, aside from the state, are the biggest employer in Minnesota. No offense but our entire state economy is on a huge bubble. Property taxes pay for our schools....if people can’t pay their property taxes which will be cut first.....math or hockey?

You don’t have to be politically inclined to see where the cuts, which will have to happen,will fall.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 am

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 am
When I initially started this thread it was to bring attention to the fact this would affect everyone, even the high school hockey fan. I knew that the potential for it to be politicized was there. So is every thread related to Hermantown.

I was banned from Facebook for 30 days for this statement....”I worry our Constitutional rights are being thrown out without the declaration of Martial Law. The right to assemble is a Constitutional right, to negate it requires a declaration of Martial law which hasn’t happened in any state or a court order which also hasn’t happened.”

Governors, of both parties, have declared the suspension of Constitutional rights without declaring Martial Law. They have suspended the judiciary in many states. Rochester has suspended public comments at city council meetings.

No offense, high school sports may be done for the foreseeable future. I am pretty sure that is a topic worthy of discussion. There will be no spring sports, with predictions from the Governor yesterday that we, as a state, will need similar mitigation efforts this fall, after a peak in late June or mid July, what world you are living in that high school hockey actually matters anymore?

I wish it did, the Mayo Clinic is losing, by their own estimates, $3 million a day. They, aside from the state, are the biggest employer in Minnesota. No offense but our entire state economy is on a huge bubble. Property taxes pay for our schools....if people can’t pay their property taxes which will be cut first.....math or hockey?

You don’t have to be politically inclined to see where the cuts, which will have to happen,will fall.
Have you been arrested for being out and about? If not, your constitutional rights have not been violated. If you were, then I’m guessing you would have a great case if you lawyered up.

The tide is shifting. Everyone is starting to realize that we can’t shut it down forever. June 1st is when everything starts to go again. You heard it here first.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:03 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:45 am
goldy313 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:52 am

Have you been arrested for being out and about? If not, your constitutional rights have not been violated. If you were, then I’m guessing you would have a great case if you lawyered up.

The tide is shifting. Everyone is starting to realize that we can’t shut it down forever. June 1st is when everything starts to go again. You heard it here first.
Then comes the question--when the social distancing guidelines are relaxed and we go back to "business as usual", what to do if there is a second spike in the # of cases and deaths? This is going to be problematic until we have a vaccine, however long that will take.

Until it starts hitting close to home, the numbers are just an abstract, something which is happening in another place. It's getting close to home in Duluth, with three deaths reported since yesterday.

I've been following the projections on this site https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america for a couple week now. The projections have been becoming more positive over the past few days but the site says that these projections are based on an assumption of "full social distancing through May 2020". In some places, this is true, in others not. Luckily every indication is that Minnesota is doing very well in this area, but I get the sense that some are starting to suffer from "isolation fatigue". Making it worse is that the weather is getting nicer--we want to be out there doing stuff! But what if I'm a carrier and don't know it? Do I have the right to put the health of others at risk? The obvious answer is "no"

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:20 am

My random thoughts:

The COVID data models being considered by the MN government need to be shared with the public

As the weather warns, the ability of the MN government agencies to be effective with recommendations and enforcement of social distancing policies will wane

I believe a majority of MN people will adhere to the May 4th extension. Any further extensions will be met with a high amount resistance and a high degree of disregard by the MN populace, given the fact there is dissension arising now within our elected officials.

The old adage of “desperate times call for desperate measures,” may take on a whole new meaning/approach across the world.

Stay Safe everyone.

-bb
Play Like a Champion Today

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:54 am

Sadly, I fear what is coming this summer, especially if states allow normal movement without containment of the virus.

Without a vaccine or mass testing, we're going to have a second (and third) wave of this virus in 2020. People in many states (no need to point them out, they aren't hard to find) aren't going to abide by protective measures. Specific to why we're on this site, it's going to cause summer sports training and fall/winter sports to get delayed, or interrupted, or cancelled.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:25 am

Goldy, as our resident healthcare expert...

What is the realistic status of getting a fairly quick turnaround antibody test ready for mass drive thru use? To me thats the first key, short of a vaccine, after treating the people that are actively sick. Lets find out how many of us have had it and are immune, then we can plan things out a little better from there. That doesnt get all the answers, but not a bad place to start.

I mean, if Minnesota could turn around a few million of those fairly quickly........

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:40 am

jg2112 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:54 am
Sadly, I fear what is coming this summer, especially if states allow normal movement without containment of the virus.

Without a vaccine or mass testing, we're going to have a second (and third) wave of this virus in 2020. People in many states (no need to point them out, they aren't hard to find) aren't going to abide by protective measures. Specific to why we're on this site, it's going to cause summer sports training and fall/winter sports to get delayed, or interrupted, or cancelled.
What we have here is the perfect example of both ends of a spectrum being pushed. Some people say lock it all down and keep everybody safe from the virus. Even though that virus has killed fewer people than the flu, heart disease, smoking, and etc. (I won't mention the "A" word as I don't want to get kicked off of the site). Others are already saying open it up and let us go. And there are already people going out more and more. We live in a state that has long hard winters. Not many people walk around saying stuff like "I can't wait for it to be -30 in the morning when I get up to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark so I don't have to see the sun". We don't say that, for the most part. We say stuff like Spring time is what makes surviving January and February worth it. How many suicides are we going to have if people stay locked down? How many women are being beaten by guys who are stressed out, have lost their jobs, locked in a house with them and can't get out? How many kids are in the same boat? How many alcoholics, drug addicts and etc are going to get worse because they can't go to AA or NA so they OD or turn violent to their spouses and or kids? How much stress do you have in your life because you can't get out and go to a state park and take a walk? How many of our vulnerable are we willing to kill off to try to save all of the people? This is pure craziness. Look for yourself. You see stories about that car crash on 494 that killed a couple of people but you never see stories about the 100s of thousands of cars that make that trip everyday safely. An airplane crash makes headlines and has the news media talking heads on for days talking about it. They never ever mention all of the flights that get in safely, those are not news. The truth lies out there someplace in the middle. We need to find that middle. Not let the way left Government knows best so lets lock them down group control it. Not let the way right the government is bad so lets get rid of it group control it. In the middle, use your head, think. This is a sports forum, I get that. But this current craziness is about way more than sports and needs to be treated that way. And yes, I do go out. I am on Day 10 of a 13 day run, I get 2 days off and go back on for another 13 day run so I am not sitting locked at home.

jg2112

Post by jg2112 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 am

Wet Paint wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:40 am
jg2112 wrote:

What we have here is the perfect example of both ends of a spectrum being pushed. Some people say lock it all down and keep everybody safe from the virus. Even though that virus has killed fewer people than the flu, heart disease, smoking, and etc. (I won't mention the "A" word as I don't want to get kicked off of the site). Others are already saying open it up and let us go. And there are already people going out more and more. We live in a state that has long hard winters. Not many people walk around saying stuff like "I can't wait for it to be -30 in the morning when I get up to go to work in the dark and come home in the dark so I don't have to see the sun". We don't say that, for the most part. We say stuff like Spring time is what makes surviving January and February worth it. How many suicides are we going to have if people stay locked down? How many women are being beaten by guys who are stressed out, have lost their jobs, locked in a house with them and can't get out? How many kids are in the same boat? How many alcoholics, drug addicts and etc are going to get worse because they can't go to AA or NA so they OD or turn violent to their spouses and or kids? How much stress do you have in your life because you can't get out and go to a state park and take a walk? How many of our vulnerable are we willing to kill off to try to save all of the people? This is pure craziness. Look for yourself. You see stories about that car crash on 494 that killed a couple of people but you never see stories about the 100s of thousands of cars that make that trip everyday safely. An airplane crash makes headlines and has the news media talking heads on for days talking about it. They never ever mention all of the flights that get in safely, those are not news. The truth lies out there someplace in the middle. We need to find that middle. Not let the way left Government knows best so lets lock them down group control it. Not let the way right the government is bad so lets get rid of it group control it. In the middle, use your head, think. This is a sports forum, I get that. But this current craziness is about way more than sports and needs to be treated that way. And yes, I do go out. I am on Day 10 of a 13 day run, I get 2 days off and go back on for another 13 day run so I am not sitting locked at home.
What?

This isn't a "left" or "right" issue. It's common sense. The virus will spread again. The reason it has? Inadequate (or no) testing, no vaccine, and large groups.

If there's treatment and/or a vaccine, we're in good shape. If there's nothing, and people return to "normal," which many will? Bad news.

If one asymptomatic hockey or football player / coach / ref attends a practice, game or camp and spreads it in the locker room? Bad news. If one infected fan sits in the crowd in Happy Valley or Death Valley or Tuscaloosa and breathes on 200 other people, that's bad news (see the Atalanta v. Valencia soccer game on February 18 as evidence of what it leads to).

The biggest problem? There's probably hundreds of thousands of carriers out there we have no idea about, because the testing regime has been abhorrent. That's the biggest concern about "re-opening" on May 1. Many places aren't testing and didn't lock down to stop spreading this virus. They have no true idea of the scope of the disease in their area. You can't solve a problem until you know what the problem is.

That's not political, that's medical. Without a vaccine, this is a non-partisan reality.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am

This is a cost-benefit analysis problem that will need to be addressed very shortly. Everyone will have their own opinion, there is not a "correct" answer here, there are going to be many trade-offs and none of them are going to be pleasant. It will be an exercise of making these trade-offs and selecting the lesser of several evils and will need to be made with "real data and information" and not what story picks up the most clicks on the various news outlets.

To date, the initial focus was and continues to be on the death toll and the economic toll has also recently picked up steam and I expect that will continue. There has been more focus recently on the tangential impacts that originate from the economic impact.

Unfortunately, I expect this will probably be a long and frustrating path regardless of which side of the fence you find yourself on. Buckle up, try and stay positive and consider the ramifications from all sides. This isn't going to be any fun, but we've got to get through it and it won't be without pain.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:08 am

jg2112 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:50 am
Wet Paint wrote:
jg2112 wrote:

What?

This isn't a "left" or "right" issue. It's common sense. The virus will spread again. The reason it has? Inadequate (or no) testing, no vaccine, and large groups.

If there's treatment and/or a vaccine, we're in good shape. If there's nothing, and people return to "normal"? Bad news.

If one asymptomatic hockey or football player / coach / ref attends a practice, game or camp and spreads it in the locker room? Bad news. If one infected fan sits in the crowd in Happy Valley or Death Valley or Tuscaloosa and breathes on 200 other people, that's bad news (see the Atalanta v. Valencia soccer game on February 18 as evidence of what it leads to).

That's not political, that's medical. Without a vaccine, this is reality.
And so are the other social problems that I listed. And more. I am NOT making it political. What I am saying is that rather than go crazy one way or crazy the other way we need to find away to make it work. For the good of ALL of the people. Life comes with risk. What risk are you willing to take? Do you wrap your kid in bubble wrap? Proably not. You stand a better chance of getting killed driving to the rink that you do of getting killed in the rink. Do you drive to the rink? Probably. Do you travel on 494? Somebody probably got killed on that road last week but you will drive on it today. Mitigate the risks but realize that living comes with risks. I am saying that we normal, rational, sane, non-political people need to get involved here and not just get locked up or turned loose depending on who is controlling us. How do you want to protect yourself from the next virus through here? There will be more. Should we shut down McDonalds and all of the other fast food places to protect us from obesity? Probably not. Smoking kills thousands and thousand every year. We still allow smoking.

All I am saying is (And I realize this is a sports forum) is that we need to put this into perspective, mitigate the risks to the best of our abilities and go on living. Nothing is safe all of the time.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 am

Wet Paint wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:08 am
jg2112 wrote:
Wet Paint wrote:

What?

If there's treatment and/or a vaccine, we're in good shape. If there's nothing, and people return to "normal"? Bad news.

That's not political, that's medical. Without a vaccine, this is reality.
And so are the other social problems that I listed. And more. I am NOT making it political. What I am saying is that rather than go crazy one way or crazy the other way we need to find away to make it work. For the good of ALL of the people. Life comes with risk. What risk are you willing to take? Do you wrap your kid in bubble wrap? Proably not. You stand a better chance of getting killed driving to the rink that you do of getting killed in the rink. Do you drive to the rink? Probably. Do you travel on 494? Somebody probably got killed on that road last week but you will drive on it today. Mitigate the risks but realize that living comes with risks. I am saying that we normal, rational, sane, non-political people need to get involved here and not just get locked up or turned loose depending on who is controlling us. How do you want to protect yourself from the next virus through here? There will be more. Should we shut down McDonalds and all of the other fast food places to protect us from obesity? Probably not. Smoking kills thousands and thousand every year. We still allow smoking.

All I am saying is (And I realize this is a sports forum) is that we need to put this into perspective, mitigate the risks to the best of our abilities and go on living. Nothing is safe all of the time.
What has been most surprising to me through this situation is when I read the comments to news articles (I would not recommend doing this if you don't currently do this) is number of posters who seem to believe that we will just ride this out until there are NO new cases anywhere in the world or we have a vaccine in 18 months.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:29 am

InThePipes wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:02 am
This is a cost-benefit analysis problem that will need to be addressed very shortly. Everyone will have their own opinion, there is not a "correct" answer here, there are going to be many trade-offs and none of them are going to be pleasant. It will be an exercise of making these trade-offs and selecting the lesser of several evils and will need to be made with "real data and information" and not what story picks up the most clicks on the various news outlets.

To date, the initial focus was and continues to be on the death toll and the economic toll has also recently picked up steam and I expect that will continue. There has been more focus recently on the tangential impacts that originate from the economic impact.

Unfortunately, I expect this will probably be a long and frustrating path regardless of which side of the fence you find yourself on. Buckle up, try and stay positive and consider the ramifications from all sides. This isn't going to be any fun, but we've got to get through it and it won't be without pain.
Exactly. And along with The Government or whoever make that analysis we all need to as well. How much risk can you tolerate? In all of history only 1 guy has made it out alive. Odds are none of us are gonna be the second one to do it. The biggest issue here is going to be when this pendulum swings too far to either side. Way to the left is bad. Way to the right is bad. We as normal people need to center this cycle and do it quickly. There are people out there saying lock it down for 18 months. Others are saying don't do anything. If you feel like the risk from this virus is too high then don't go out. Don't have your kid play hockey or football or what ever. Bubble wrap them and lock them up in a safe room. But then don't complain when they get fat, do drugs and commit suicide because they are so depressed. We can't have this both ways and should not be allowing people to make those choices for us without us having some input either way. At the very least just being allowed to have input makes a person feel like they have some small amount of control and that helps.

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:35 am

InThePipes wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:22 am
Wet Paint wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:08 am
jg2112 wrote:

What?

***** I snipped a whole bunch out of the middle here*******

What has been most surprising to me through this situation is when I read the comments to news articles (I would not recommend doing this if you don't currently do this) is number of posters who seem to believe that we will just ride this out until there are NO new cases anywhere in the world or we have a vaccine in 18 months.
And then we will have more programs to deal with increased abuse, increase suicides, increased depression, increase in abused and neglected kids, increases in other medical issues like obesity, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and etc. And way more stuff. All of it paid for by the government who will have to borrow the money from somebody to pay for all of it. Of course when that bill becomes due next generation that won't cause any issues will it???? This is crazy we need to get involved and stop this stuff.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:41 pm

Great post Lee, you summed up the conundrum very well.

West Metro.... the tests we have now are not as accurate as we would like, the new tests coming on board aren’t either. They give a general picture but circumstances warrant that they are rushed through and aren’t probably as fine tuned as we would like when entering the market. They will get better in the coming weeks and months but that doesn’t help today. That is why stressing that if you are sick stay home is so important. Even if we could test everyone, that is just a snapshot in time. I think the best hope we have in testing is finding out who has the antibodies in crucial jobs and get them back to work. It would also give us a peace of mind but much like the flu doesn’t mean we won’t get it or a mutated strain again. I do think testing can start opening up clinics and outpatient surgery centers again. Our collective health needs this sector to reopen.

The Mayo Clinic sent out an announcement today stating reduction in salaries for all salaried employees, most 7%. They also said they would be cutting back hours and furloughing hourly wage workers. Again, the lowest earners get screwed, losing 8 hours a week is a 20% pay cut. I know Essentia in Duluth and Fairview have already laid off people, I am sure the outpatient Orthopedic centers like Tria are doing the same. It is almost funny that this state will have doctors collecting unemployment during a health crisis.

I am starting to think that there has to be a way to open things up while maintaining social distances. We need to protect those in long term care facilities, those in health care, public transportation needs to change.....maybe we go back to parking ramps. I look at my work and our waiting room is packed with chairs and every chair is full (prior to the outbreak, and days like yesterday it still happens)....more patients equals more revenue is the mantra. I would hope that changes.

greybeard58

Re: CoVid-19 suicide hotline numbers

Post by greybeard58 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:44 pm

The virus has been causing the hotline numbers to be flooded with callers. the situation has caused many people to be put in a very stressful position. Below are the state wide numbers to call if anyone you are aware of if they need help.
Minnesota Suicide Hotlines
APPLE VALLEY

Crisis Line

Dakota County Crisis Response

24 hours / 7 days

(952) 891-7171
(952) 891-7202 TDD

BRAINERD

Serving Aitkin, Cass, Crow Wing,
Morrison, Todd, & Wadena Counties

Crisis Line & Referral Service
24 hours / 7 days

(218) 828-4357 (HELP)
1-800-462-5525

DULUTH

Arrowhead Region - Northeast

24-Hour Crisis Line

Miller-Dwan Medical Center

24 hours / 7 days

(218) 723-0099
1-800-720-3334

GRAND RAPIDS

Serving Aitkin, Cass, Clearwater, Beltrami,
Itasca, Koochiching, & Lake of the Woods Counties

Emergency Mental Health Line

First Call For Help - Itasca County

24 hours / 7 days

Itasca County
(218) 326-8565
1-800-442-8565
(218) 326-4634 TTY

Outside Itasca County
1-800-543-7709

LUVERNE

Serving Cottonwood, Nobles,
Pipestone, & Rock Counties

24-Hour Crisis Hotline

Southwestern Mental Health Center

24 hours / 7 days

1-800-642-1525
1-800-642-1525 TDD
(507) 372-7671 TDD

MANKATO

Suicide Prevention Hotline

Immanuel St. Joseph's

Mayo Health System

24 hours / 7 days

Toll-Free Statewide

1-800-865-0606

MARSHALL

Serving Southwest Minnesota: Lincoln, Lyon,
Murray, Redwood, & Yellow Medicine Counties

24-Hour Crisis Lines

Western Mental Health Center

24 hours / 7 days

(507) 532-3236
1-800-658-2429

MINNEAPOLIS

Crisis Intervention Center

Hennepin County Medical Center

24 hours / 7 days

Suicide Hotline
(612) 873-2222

Crisis Referral Line
(612) 873-3161

MINNEAPOLIS / ST. PAUL

For Twin Cities Metro Area for Residents Only

24-hour Crisis Counseling

Crisis Connection

24 hours / 7 days

(612) 379-6363
(612) 379-6377 TDD

MINNEAPOLIS

Suicide Crisis Hotline

Love Lines Crisis Center

24 hours / 7 days
(612) 379-1199

OWATONNA

Serving Steele & Waseca Counties
Contact Helpline

Crisis Intervention - Suicide Hotline

24 hours / 7 days

(507) 451-9100

OWATONNA

Serving Dodge, Steele & Waseca Counties

CONTACT

Crisis / Listening Hotline

24 hours / 7 days

(507) 451-9100
1-866-451-9191

PIPESTONE

Serving Residents of Cottonwood,
Noble, Pipestone, & Rock Counties

24-Hour Crisis Hotline

24 hours / 7 days

1-800-642-1525

ST. PAUL

Crisis Services

Ramsey County

Adult Mental Health Services

24 hours / 7 days
(651) 266-7900

Crisis Program

Regions Hospital Emergency Center

24 hours / 7 days

(651) 254-1000
(651) 254-3285 TDD

WACONIA

Serving Residents of Carver or Scott Counties

Crisis Intervention

County Mental Health Crisis Program

24 hours / 7 days
(952) 442-7601

WASHINGTON COUNTY

Washington County Crisis Line

24 hours / 7 days

(651) 777-4455
(612) 379-6377 TDD

WILLMAR

Serving West Central Minnesota: Chippewa, Kandiyohi,
Lac qui Parle, Meeker, Renville, & Swift Counties

24-Hour Crisis Line

Woodland Center

24 hours / 7 days
1-800-992-1716

WINONA

Serving Fillmore, Houston, & Winona Counties

Suicide Crisis Line

First Call For Help

24 hours / 7 days

(507) 454-2528

Toll Free Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin

1-800-362-8255
1-800-362-8255 TTY

WORTHINGTON

Serving Residents of Cottonwood,
Noble, Pipestone, & Rock Counties

24-Hour Crisis Hotline

24 hours / 7 days

1-800-642-1525
1-800-642-1525 TDD

Free Suicide.org Newsletter!
Enter Your Email:

Suicidal?
Need Help Now?
Call 911
or
1-800-SUICIDE
(1-800-784-2433)
or
1-800-273-TALK
(1-800-273-8255)
or
Text Telephone:
1-800-799-4TTY
(1-800-799-4889)

Military Veterans
Suicide Hotline:
1-800-273-TALK
(Press 1)

Suicide Hotline
in Spanish:
1-800-273-TALK
(Press 2)
LGBT Youth
Suicide Hotline:
1-866-4-U-TREVOR

Click Below
For More
Suicide Hotlines
Suicide Hotlines

Free Suicide Prevention Program

No Suicide Contracts

How to Help a Suicidal Person

If Your Loved One Needs Hospitalization

Suicide Survivors Support Groups

Help & Comfort for Suicide Survivors

Wall of Angels
Suicide Memorials

Make Suicide.org
Your Home Page
Bookmark Suicide.org
Link to Suicide.org

Suicide.org

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:20 pm

A long but very relevant post Greybeard. I I will add that if you know or even suspect someone you are close to needs help......please call. It is never too late until it is too late.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:53 pm

The Mayo Clinic sent out information to its employees regarding layoffs and furloughs.

“The furloughs will start receiving notification on April 20......for how long they will last, we anticipate they could last as short as three or four months but may go further.....”

It goes on...
We expect the peak in the Midwest in the beginning of September, in Arizona the end of July, in Florida the beginning of July.

My opinion....if the peak is September and we took 5-6 months to get to the peak we can reasonably expect a faster down slope but that still would be 3 months or so. We can also expect rural communities to peak later, urban communities to peak earlier.

Back to East Hockey’s post. What is flattening the curve to spare (harsh words here) octogenarians, the average age of death in Minnesota is 86, worth? I am glad I do not have to make that decision. At what point are we sacrificing the education of our kids.....we are already there. That is probably the biggest issue, education.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 am

- Average age of death in Minnesota from covid 19 is 87 years old
- Average lifespan for Minnesotans is 79.9 years which is 3rd in the country
* Very eye opening when you really think about it

Would we have been better off having quarantined the elderly and at risk people with underlying health problems? Many of the medical experts agree that we’re prolonging this virus as many parts of life as we know it crumble.

My Grandmother is 99 years old and lives in Johanna Shores that has cases in the building and are trying to control the spread. I wish they would have looked at the average age when Italy was struggling and had taken proper precautions.

Also, don’t let the media control your thinking... Stay safe!

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:22 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 am

Would we have been better off having quarantined the elderly and at risk people with underlying health problems? Many of the medical experts agree that we’re prolonging this virus as many parts of life as we know it crumble.

My Grandmother is 99 years old and lives in Johanna Shores that has cases in the building and are trying to control the spread. I wish they would have looked at the average age when Italy was struggling and had taken proper precautions.

There is an abundance of data out there on the age of death related to COVID-19, it wasn't any secret prior to this beginning in the US. Do a google search and you'll have all the data you'd ever care to see on the age ranges of death.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:47 am

InThePipes wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:22 am
MrBoDangles wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:33 am

There is an abundance of data out there on the age of death related to COVID-19, it wasn't any secret prior to this beginning in the US. Do a google search and you'll have all the data you'd ever care to see on the age ranges of death.
Agree.. and and it was entirely my point. The precautions they’re taking at my grandmother’s senior home should have been done before it got there. They should have been wearing the shields and body suits to not let it become an issue.. 👍

We had all the warning signs to protect these folks

Yoopskater

Post by Yoopskater » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:39 am

Call your representatives in Congress and the governor. The medicine is much worse than the malady here.