Healthcare workers

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Hunters1993

Healthcare workers

Post by Hunters1993 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:46 am

Could I get a sound out to post a note on how hard the healthcare works is working. And maybe a positive note for them. I think the healthcare world would love to hear it.
#KEEPTHEKIDSINTHECLASSROOM

elliott70

Re: Healthcare workers

Post by elliott70 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 pm

My daughter and my daughter-in-law are RN's. One is busier than all get out and the other working only 2 days a week (not by choice - but same day surgery is really slow as they are only doing things that are extremely necessary).

But tip of the cap to all of them.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Mayo started limited elective surgery and sports medicine surgery Monday, so I imagine same day surgery will start there soon as well. Of course that is all dependent on equipment and such. I think the number today was 9 Covid-19 inpatients. That leaves a lot of equipment for same day surgery cases.

I don’t think volumes will be the same as before as social distancing concerns will continue for months at the very least. Locker rooms, lunch rooms, elevators, waiting rooms, etc. all were overcrowded to begin with and no hospital or clinic wants to be the next place to have a major outbreak of its employees. A meat packing plant can recover, not so much a healthcare facility.

We furloughed a lot of people, around 33%, those of us that are left are expected to pick up for those gone. It makes financial sense, employees are generally the biggest expense. I am glad I still go to work everyday.

We are seeing ~50% of the patients we were seeing pre cancellation of elective surgeries. Orthopedic trauma has really picked up early due to kids being out of school and so many people being out of work, bad for them good for my job security. Save the increase in trauma we’d be at, probably 20-25% of normal volumes.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:50 pm

Oh,
My tip of the hat goes to those who work in long term care facilities......they are underpaid, overworked, and do the job nearly all of us can’t do. They take care of our spouses, parents, grandparents, etc. and do a darn good job of it.

They are getting unfairly maligned for a problem not of their making. Yet go to to work everyday doing work that saves lives. They are, in my opinion, the most under appreciated part of our health care system.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:16 pm

Big thank you to all healthcare folks out there. =D>

SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty » Sat May 09, 2020 9:51 am

Thank you to all frontline healthcare workers, EMT's and first responders. Like in any emergency they have stepped up and did a incredible job.

I am also glad to see that they are opening up things like elective surgery, cancer screenings, and I am hearing possibly in June you may be able to see a doctor for a physical and bloodwork. Very important stuff for old farts like me still living at home ;).