Good Choice or Not?

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

EREmpireStrikesBack

Good Choice or Not?

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

Do you think it was a good choice for Paul Martin to leave the UofM early and go pro? Personally I wish he would have stayed so that the Gophers would have a better chance at 3 straight. But I can also see where he is coming from because of the CBA in the NHL and not having the chance to play next year with the lockout coming. What do you think? <p>State AA Champions 2001- ER Elks</p><i></i>
petey1321

Re: Good Choice or Not?

Post by petey1321 »

Automatic choice. He could either sign now, take his money, and start his career (and training with professionals), or he could wait another year, win another national title, and hope to God that there wasn't a lockout. Now, when the teams get locked out, he'll have a big war chest to sit on and he can pay Karn's or Acceleration Minnesota or something to keep him on the ice while--who knows?--helping to coach the U or something like that. If he had waited, he'd have to literally get a job and try to train on his own time.<br><br>In this respect, I think Vanek definitely missed the boat. If he wanted to leave early, last year was the year to do it. He's almost certainly going to have to stay another year or go somewhere like the OHL, because quite frankly I see no way of there being any sort of NHL regular season next year. <p></p><i></i>
scheids316

Post by scheids316 »

petey, there will be time to sign when the college season is over, before the lockout begins. Vanek (among countless other early departures) will most likely sign during this time period. Frankly, I hope he does. He hasn't gotten any better, and has cost his team at least one game so far this year. That's one too many. Vanek will sign with Buffalo, and collect his paycheck while playing elsewhere.<br><br>You're right about next year though. The lockout is almost guaranteed. There have been some very interesting articles in newspapers and online about the situation, and its not hard to see why its happening. These guys are the lowest paid among the 4 major sports, but it's still too much. What can ya do. Too bad the NHL is full of Jagrs and Gaboriks instead of more guys like Roenick and Hull, who admit they make too much, and will take a salary hit, if it helps the team or league.<br><br>Paul Martin made no mistake. He was clearly ready for the NHL. His offensive numbers obviously aren't what they were in college, but his defensive skill continues to improve. He WILL be an all star in this league, barring any major incidents. I give him about 3 years before he becomes a superstar. I'd love to see it happen. <p>Scheids<br>(A legend in his girlfriend's mind.)</p><i></i>
puckster10

Post by puckster10 »

I for one hope Vanek stays, but I believe that's pretty much impossible. The lockout next year looks likely, but maybe it won't happen. If there is a lockout, I wonder if the players signing out of college will get paid, as they wouldn't play games during a lockout. No games played=no pay? At least that's the way I thought it worked. If so, there is really no incentive for players to sign out of college this year, with no promise on the lockout. <p>Puckster<br><br><!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.wildpuck.com" target="top">www.wildpuck.com</a><!--EZCODE LINK END--></p><i></i>