Hey, how 'bout doze Gophers

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

ChrisK wrote: I've seen too many Gopher coaches come in talking a good game to believe anything that Brewster says. The only thing that counts is what happens on the field.

My gut tells me this guy is a used car salesman and will be back on the lot in three years, but I hope it's just all the fried Fair food that I had this weekend talking...
It seems ChrisK had his doubts as well :wink:
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
ChrisK wrote: I've seen too many Gopher coaches come in talking a good game to believe anything that Brewster says. The only thing that counts is what happens on the field.

My gut tells me this guy is a used car salesman and will be back on the lot in three years, but I hope it's just all the fried Fair food that I had this weekend talking...
It seems ChrisK had his doubts as well :wink:
Geez, what attic are you guys going into to get all these quotes. Well, this does show that I had my doubts from the start about Brewster. My real issue is with Maturi, I think he waited too long to get rid of Mason and at this point it doesn't look like he's made a good choice with Brewster. Of course if Brewster turns things around Maturi will look like a genius but he's got a long ways to go.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Yah, yah, yah.

Thats the other rock the "Fire Mason " crowd is slithering under... "We had our doubts about Brewster".

Who didnt?

Glen the Great is owed a big apology by all of you geniuses.

Hey, I know, we just had a big party for Bud Grant for losing all those Super Bowls in such convincing fashion...why not do the same for Glen.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

At least Bud made it to the Super Bowl. What was the best bowl Glen made it to, the boofin' Sun Bowl? If Glen had gotten the Gophers to the Rose Bowl he really would've been coach for life and we'd be holding parties for him too thirty years later.

The best analogy for Glen Mason is Denny Green, he put together some good teams but they choked when the going got tough. And that 1998 team earned Denny another five or six years, if you remember he came within a recovered onside kick of getting canned before that. If Glen had put a team together like that he would've gotten another five years.

The problem that I had with Glen was that while he could put together good teams he didn't know how to put together a championship team. Every year there were one or two games where defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory. Once every three, four years you can chalk up to luck but when it happens once or twice EVERY year it tells me there's something fundamentally wrong.

I know the Gophers can't compete with Ohio State or Michigan on an every year basis, but if every other program in the Big Ten except maybe Indiana can field teams that compete for and occasionally win the title every few years there is no reason why Minnesota can't do the same.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Well, at least Glen made it to a Bowl game every year.

Right now, Glen looks a lot more like Bud Grant and Breswter a lot like Les Steckle.
murraychadwick

Post by murraychadwick »

If this guy was brought in for his recruiting skill, he should have a top 10 recruiting class this year. If he can't walk into a living room anywhere in the country and tell a kid who is NFL bound in the near future, you come to Minny and you are the man, start immediately and be our featured ............ he isn't worth the turf he lies on. There isn't a player on that team who should be guaranteed a spot on next years team. I loved the way NDSU played, but c'mon they are still NDSU!
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

packerboy wrote:Well, at least Glen made it to a Bowl game every year.

Right now, Glen looks a lot more like Bud Grant and Breswter a lot like Les Steckle.
Give me a break, half the teams or more in the Big Ten make it to a bowl game every year. The best conference finish that a Mason team had was a tie for 4th place and his Big Ten winning percentage was .400. Don't disparage Bud Grant's name by placing it in the same sentence as the former Gopher coach's. And Les Steckel may have been a better choice than Brewster frankly.
Can't Never Tried

packerboy wrote:Well, at least Glen made it to a Bowl game every year.

Hey PB don't you worry Brewster's gonna get em in a bowl Image
:lol:

Music City Bowl sounds pretty good now huh?
Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty »

Gophers @ Michigan, Sat. 2:30pm

Eeeeesh...this start time has me worried, ABC isn't going to show this to a 1/3rd of the country are they?

We all know Michigan lost at home to App. St. to start the season, but the really sad part is that a loss to Minnesota this Saturday would be more improbable, thus more embarassing than that loss to a 1AA team.

The Gophers right now are very powerful, for the wrong reasons. If they beat anyone this season, it could call for a Glen Masonlike firing for their victim's head coach.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Check out Souhans article in the Red Star.

http://www.startribune.com/150/story/1509108.html

I dont mind that he steals all of our stuff but at least he could mention us in a footnote or something.
Irishmans Shanty

Top 5 story lines the TV announcers will use to put a positive spin on the blowout that they are trying call.
1) "The new stadium opening in 2010 will breath new life into the program and it will help with recruiting."
2) "Tim Brewster needs some time to turn it around, he's a great coach and is the right guy to get it done. I just love his enthusiasm."
3) "Adam Weber is a good young QB to build around."
4) "The Gophers have lost some close games, including some OT affairs, their record could actually be a lot better."
5) "There's no shame in losing to NDSU the top ranked JV program in the country, they'd give a lot of teams some fits, hey, even Michigan lost to App. St."
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Maybe it isnt just spin.

Maybe this guy can do it.

Maybe if "Glen the Great, Coach for Life" was still here , they'd have the same record.

Wouldnt it have been a lot easier to fire Mason if a 1-10 record was on the table instead of after a Bowl game appearance in a rebuilding year when they had to run the table to get there?

Even the most cautious amoung us could not second guess Maturi if he had waited till after a season like this.
Irishmans Shanty

Maybe, maybe, maybe. The 1-10 season was coming and Mason being let go after the bowl game is a blessing. Brewster is here a year early, just like a HS kid who graduates after the 1st semester of his sr. year and he gets to go through spring practice when he should still be in high school.
Can't Never Tried

I do think the article has a lot of similar comments to what has been spoken(written) here :?

Almost makes ya proud :D don't it?
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Irishmans Shanty wrote:Maybe, maybe, maybe. The 1-10 season was coming and Mason being let go after the bowl game is a blessing. Brewster is here a year early, just like a HS kid who graduates after the 1st semester of his sr. year and he gets to go through spring practice when he should still be in high school.
Well yah, maybe.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

I'm a little concerned that they won't be able to etch 3 digits on the Michigan side of The Jug today:

Irishmans Shanty

I heard this interesting dialogue between BTN Analyst, Glen Mason and the play by play guy during the Northwestern/Purdue game.

Play by Play guy: "Well Coach, if someone came to you before the season and said you can be 7-2 on the year and you already have played OSU and Michigan, would you take it?"
Glen Mason: "I'd have to say No, 7-2 means I'm probably only 3-2 in the conference, putting me at best in 3rd/4th place, and when I was at Minnesota, our fans didn't travel well so a 7-2 mark wouldn't get us to a New Years Day bowl."
Irishmans Shanty

Just kidding, of course he said he would take it. :lol:
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Glen the Great ... a/k/a The Pontiff beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. When do you think Brewtser will do that?

Sing it:
Glennie come back, we were wrong and we just cant live without you.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

While the "Fire Mason " crowd slithers under a rock and the Gopher football progrm reaches depths only imagined by those who figured it would happen if they fired Mason, we can all be comforted by the fact that Gopher Hockey is starting up and.........................................................

Oh well, never mind that either.

That orphange job could be lookin good, eh Donnie?

Go Tubby.

Post by BIAFP »

packerboy wrote:While the "Fire Mason " crowd slithers under a rock and the Gopher football progrm reaches depths only imagined by those who figured it would happen if they fired Mason, we can all be comforted by the fact that Gopher Hockey is starting up and.........................................................

Oh well, never mind that either.

That orphange job could be lookin good, eh Donnie?

Go Tubby.

The hockey team did beat Michigan and Ohio State? When is the last time a Gopher Football team did that? :lol:
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Good point BIAFP.

I shouldnt be so harsh.

Maybe they are saving it for the end of the season this year.

I am surprised we arent hearing a "9 freshmen " excuse like we heard last year in February.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Well , The Don's boys got a big sweep over Mankato. Wow.

Tubby beat up on Army. Really big.

Brewster lost to a bad Iowa team. But hey, only by 5 points.

So, things are lookin pretty good, dontch know.

Real good then.

Post by BladeButter44 »

Big game tomorrow at the Dome.
Can't Never Tried

BladeButter44 wrote:Big game tomorrow at the Dome.
How's that? :?