Cory Johnson of Moorhead

Potatohead9

Cory Johnson of Moorhead

Post by Potatohead9 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:03 pm

For those of you who follow Corys High School Career.....<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://www.in-forum.com" target="top">www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id= ... <!--EZCODE LINK END--><br>Then go to sports and read the story titled Three-sports standout lifts Moorhead to title<br>· advertisement ·<br> <br> <br> <br>T-minus five weeks until graduation and Cory Johnson has narrowed his future plans. The Moorhead senior is going to participate in football … or hockey … or track after high school.<br><br>Check back May 12 – date of the USHL draft. If the forward is selected, he’ll take his game to the country’s top junior hockey league in pursuit of an NCAA Division I scholarship. If not, he’ll stay home and play running back and run track at Division III Concordia College, bypassing a handful of Division II offers in two sports.<br><br>The recruiting process has been painstakingly slow and stressful for the speedy three-sport standout.<br><br>“People say it’s good to have options,” Johnson said, “but at the same time you have to think of what decision is best for you, and when you love playing three sports it’s really hard saying you’re not going to play one next year.”<br><br>So he hasn’t yet. <br><br> <br> <br>After a second 1,000-yard fall and a second 30-point winter, the 5-foot-7 Johnson began his chase for repeat berths in the state sprint finals Saturday at Jim Gotta Stadium. Due to an extended hockey season, he ran only the 400-meter dash and the anchor leg of the 1,600 relay at the Moorhead Athletic Association Outdoor Meet. He won both – edging former North Dakota state champion Jayce Miller of Wahpeton 51.77 to 51.97 in the 400 – to help the Spuds take the team title on an afternoon filled with sun rays and stocking caps.<br><br>Moorhead claimed eight firsts – including two individual and one relay title each by James Krajsa and Mike Hagen, recently committed to North Dakota State – and scored 258 points to best runner-up West Fargo by 143.<br><br>The Spuds girls also took top team honors with 162.5 points, even though pole vaulter Sam Kouba earned their only event title. Fergus Falls, Minn., was second with 158.5, while Wahpeton senior Allie Smith swept the sprints despite “running a bit stiff,” according to Huskies coach Curt Kretchman, because of a grueling week of practice.<br><br>Johnson, meanwhile, showed no effects – other than wearing a wrap on his left leg – from a hamstring injury that caused him to miss time during football and hockey.<br><br>“I felt good,” Johnson said. “I haven’t really run too much. I’ve been staking quite a bit, but the workouts I have done have been pretty beneficial.”<br><br>Just like the patience he has exercised.<br><br>First, Johnson’s dream scenario of being invited to play two sports at NDSU didn’t pan out, then he let national signing day pass without accepting a football scholarship. During the hockey season, the Spuds were ranked No. 1 the entire regular season, reached the Class 2A state title game and hosted hordes of scouts, but most of the focus fell on Johnson’s college-ready teammates.<br><br>However, since the beginning of April he’s helped Section 8 win the Ted Brill Great 8 Tournament and scored a tournament-high 10 points as Team Minnesota took first place at the Chicago Showcase.<br><br>Suddenly, Johnson is getting phone calls and letters – though no offers yet – from the likes of Nebraska-Omaha and Maine and more face time with Concordia’s Terry Horan. Sporting a shiny new conference championship ring, the charismatic football coach dragged his two young children out of the house and pulled himself away from the NFL draft to watch Johnson run one race Saturday.<br><br>Decision day is approaching – again.<br><br>“I hear the same things over and over,” Johnson said. “It’s got to be me. I can’t listen to what other people say.”<br><br>Readers can reach Forum reporter Terry Vandrovec at (701) 241-5548<br><br> <p><!--EZCODE FONT START--><span style="font-family:courier;">Thats Mr. Potatohead to You!</span><!--EZCODE FONT END--></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p074.ezboard.com/bmnhs.showUserP ... tohead9</A> at: 4/24/05 3:07 pm<br></i>

Cool Guy1

Re: Cory Johnson of Moorhead

Post by Cool Guy1 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:14 pm

He is a GREAT player. I can't believe no colleges will take a chance on him. Wait until the end of next year (if he plays juniors) he will have a few offers. <p></p><i></i>

StarsFan

Post by StarsFan » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:54 am

<br>What is Moorhead? Do they have a State tourney record?<br><br> <p></p><i></i>

slapshotbg

Post by slapshotbg » Sun May 01, 2005 5:25 pm

that kid is definetely an athlete but for how fast everyone says he is a 51.77 is not anything near amazing. <p></p><i></i>

reddy44

Cory

Post by reddy44 » Sun May 01, 2005 5:39 pm

You have to take into consideration what the weather was like during the meet and it was his first meet back. So a 51.77 is not a bad start to the track season. Also, he is not a true 400 runner, not many 5'6" kids are 400 runners....give him a few more weeks and he'll be back in form running low 50's and running 10.8 100's. <p></p><i></i>

DaBear21

Re: Cory

Post by DaBear21 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:11 pm

who the hell r u slapshotbug? <p></p><i></i>

DaBear21

Re: Cory

Post by DaBear21 » Sun May 29, 2005 11:13 pm

u go run a 400 after u get back from a week long hockey trip,and also not having a 100% hamstring.and he ran a 49.32 at the true state meet were he pulled his hamstring again so he is done for the year.for track anyways <p></p><i></i>