SHAKE UP IN THE NWSC!!?!

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins it?

Anoka
13%
Blaine
40%
Centennial
13%
Elk River
28%
Maple Grove
8%

Total votes: 40

RealDeal

SHAKE UP IN THE NWSC!!?!

Post by RealDeal »

With Cenntennials cougars sent crawling back the the cave by Roseville and the same with Blaine by Roseau whats going on with the big name programs Blaine is supposed to be #3 and they barely slipped by TRF. Not to mention the Elks struggles against Brainard but we all know that they are a second half team. Any thoughts on whats going on here?
YoungBlood

Post by YoungBlood »

ANOKA OR THE ELKS
gomnhky

Post by gomnhky »

I wouldn't be getting too excited yet RealDeal (Anoka) - these teams have only played one or two games into the season. Let's wait and see how things develop over the course of the season before we start getting too excited about the downfall of these programs.

Centennial is a young team that played a very good Roseville team that is older and had already played their first game, plus the pressure of playing on FSN. They have some good young talent that will just take some time to adjust. I would put Blaine in the same category with maybe a stronger returning class; however, they had 10 players playing their first high school varsity game against a very good Roseau team that came to play. And certainly not to take anything away from Roseau as they should be a strong contender come tournament time, but it's going to take some of these players a bit of time to adjust to the higher level of play, especially when you have three sophmores on defense. Blaine could very well lose to another strong team in Cloquet, but kudos to them for playing these teams at the start of the season and hopefully will help them in the long run.

Everyone predicted that Elk River would be strong on defense/goaltending; however, offense would be the question mark. They have added some strong offensive talent, but again, time will tell how well they work together, etc.

These three programs have very good coaching and I have faith they will have them playing their best hockey when it's most important.
RealDeal

Post by RealDeal »

Very true I believe the same thing especially about the Elks. However i do think that Blaine has been overhyped, a good team but they won't run away with things like everyone believed. As for Cenntennial I think the are in trouble simply because a goalie can't do everything and there is too much pressure on Hanna. Never before have any of those kdis experinced an embarrasment like they did on FSN I am eager to see how they respond because that will unveil their true team character. As for Anoka I have nothing to say
mnhock20

Post by mnhock20 »

Once conference play starts, these predictions will obviously be easier.

Centennial lost a good team, Rosemount, and Hanna was not playing at his best obviously.

Blaine lost to a good team, Roseau. However they did struggle against TRF.

Elk River lost to a good team, Brainerd.

All other teams that are winning in the nwsc, Champlin Park, North Metro, Anoka, Osseo are not playing the quality of teams that Blaine, ER, and Centennial are playing and that is why the standings are flip-flopped right now.
RealDeal

Post by RealDeal »

Great point but nobody said anything about the standings I am just shockey at the Pairity this year i think this season will make for one of teh most exciting in recent history
mnhock20

Post by mnhock20 »

Anoka Coon Rapids and Champlin Park are all capable of upseting Blaine and Elk River..
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

mnhock20 wrote:Anoka Coon Rapids and Champlin Park are all capable of upseting Blaine and Elk River..
:lol:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
EnigmaticBengal

Post by EnigmaticBengal »

GOMNHOCKEY has a good angle on things. These early nonconference games might give a hint of things to come, but I doubt it. Last year Blaine started the same way with a loss to Roseau, a win over TRF, and a loss to CEC. They eventually went on a 22 game unbeaten streak and into the State Tournament. Like last year, Blaine is still trying to figure out lines. So far this year, 3 games and 3 different line combos. Sophs with no varsity experience need some seasoning. The coaches and players will figure it out eventually. It's not how you start but how you finish. I like Blaine and Elk River as favorites ,with Anoka having a say in things before it's all over.
YoungBlood

Post by YoungBlood »

Well after tonight I believe that this year shows the most parity the NWSC has seen in 5-6 years. Anoka looks solid they are starting to solidify now as the season goes on and the Elks will be ready come the second half of the season. I still believe that blaine just doesn't have the fire power nor do they have the goaltending they struggled against a very mediocre Champlain team tonight and I think this will come down to the Elks in Anoka with the Bengals fading in the end.
TomTheBomb

Post by TomTheBomb »

Don't put the cart before the horse, youngblood. The Elks also lost tonight. To MAPLE GROVE. Now I consider(ed) them the bottom of the barrel. This conference could be decided at the flip of a coin.
mnhock20

Post by mnhock20 »

i gotta say whoever wins this section wont go too far anyway... no consistency. maybe some team will get on a role but as of now.. doesnt look too promising
CRHockey

12-9 scores

Post by CRHockey »

Does anyone know the scores of these games from tonight,

Anoka-Park Center

and

Centennial-Osseo

Andover lost to Spring Lake Park
Maple Grove beat Elk River
Blaine beat Champlin Park
Coon Rapids had an off night
YoungBlood

Post by YoungBlood »

Anoka beat Park Center 6-3
Langseth got pulled halfway through the 2nd rough night for him Anderson came in and did alright until the first one went in. The back up for Anoka played Wells and had a shutout through 1 and got scored on once in the second and twice in the third. Anoka played all four lines
BIGSEXY

Post by BIGSEXY »

I agree with much of what has been said about the uncertainty in the NWSC. I still believe the bengals will be the strongest team by the end of the year. Their two losses have come to a high flying Roseau team and a strong Cloquet team. They definately looked shaky against Roseau but they played Cloquet very tough. The strict penalty calls have hurt them in all but their last game vs. CP. To say they might not have the fire power to compete is absurd. With Beaduette and Lynch along with some of the younger kids they are going to score a lot of goals (after last night's OT goal I would like to add that Ben Lynch is GOD). They are young but very talented. Defensive depth will be a question but I think the goaltending will be ok. Obviously ER and Centennial are always going to strong teams by years end. I will have to see Anoka beat some strong competition before I am convinced they are a team to be reckoned with.
Stars67

Post by Stars67 »

Cenntennial is gone they are rebuilding this year Hannah was the only thing they had and he isnt the answer.
mnhock20

Post by mnhock20 »

i heard that larson who is a junior doesnt play for them anymore.. anyone know where he went?
boblee

Post by boblee »

Elk River lost to Maple Grove