Duluth Denfeld vs. Virgina

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who will win?

Duluth Denfeld
32%
Virginia
68%

Total votes: 34

alumni

virginia

Post by alumni »

i dont know whats goin on here but virginia has got to figure somethin out to start winning again. this is their worst start in 3 or more years....
fkahckyprofessor20

Post by fkahckyprofessor20 »

Virginia showed some strong points tonight but Denfeld looked very solid out there, they can put the puck in the net. Definitely not a good team to overlook by any means.
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

virginia played a very strong third period but they got greatly outplayed the first two.. i wasn't very impressed by the virginia goalie..is he the usual starter?? denfeld is a good team this year but i dont know how everyone was talking up virginia so much to start the year..they sure didn't impress me.. shut down the first line and they are done..
fkahckyprofessor20

The goalie who played for Virginia tonight apparently transferred down from I-falls. He did look a little bit shaky but you have to admit Denfeld scored some very nice goals. I don't think Jake Johnson played at all in the third and it greatly affected Denfeld.
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

i was very impressed by the way denfeld worked although they really hurt in the third without johnson.. i wasn't too impressed with virginia's defense though. by the sounds of the last two game and i know there are plenty more games to play, but virginia needs to get their act together if they plan on makin some noise
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but why was Johnson out for the third period?
fkahckyprofessor20

I agree with you, to compete in section 7A Virginia definitely will need to work out a couple kinks. But as you said, it's still early.
fkahckyprofessor20

Gopher Blog wrote:Forgive me if this has already been mentioned elsewhere but why was Johnson out for the third period?
No clue, he didn't show any signs of injury during the first two periods.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

I don't know if this is what caused him to miss the end of the third or not, but I saw Jake Johnson block a shot and take it in the ankle area in the third period (He did play the first half of the period - and had an assist on Denfeld's last goal at the 7:53 mark). Denfeld blocked quite a few shots in this one.

Virginia's defense was very poor, starting with the goaltender and on up to the non-back-checking forwards who come back to the defensive end to rest. Turnovers all over the place led to a ton of odd man rushes for the Hunters.

The loss of Chirs Westin for Virginia showed, as that third line did not see nearly as much ice time as they have in the past. They are going to need a much better effort for three periods if they want to compete with the better teams, not just one period and a couple of spurts here and there. The goaltender for Virginia didn't have a good outing, stopping just 15 of 21 shots (0.71 saves pct.) and didn't really make any big saves.

On the other side, Denfeld was definitely the harder-working team tonight, and their goalie made a couple of nice stops and played pretty well, even though he did allow 5 goals - none were soft. They deserved to win this game. Luckily for them the periods are only 17 minutes and not 20 or I think Virginia would have stolen it from them as they were completely dominating the final period, only allowing two shots on goal.
vppp

Post by vppp »

is davis on the first line for the hunters
nikebauer_07

Post by nikebauer_07 »

the two times i have seen denfeld play davis has been starting
bringiton22

Post by bringiton22 »

I think Virginia may have gone from the possible frontrunner to probably about the #4 team in section 7 with this slow start. They should win by a lot in both of their next 2 games, so that could jump start a team in a slump.
whizzbang

Post by whizzbang »

This bunch of young men has what it takes to make it far into the post season !! This bunch of guys needs to be a TEAM !! Captains need to step up, settle down and have fun !! Get excited for cryin out loud!! This same team was awesome back in the PeeWee/Bantam days !!

GOOD LUCK BLUE DEVILS
puckstop

Post by puckstop »

Virginia needs to play as a team. There are a few players that are more into getting all of the points and making themselves look good.
PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger »

bringiton22 wrote:I think Virginia may have gone from the possible frontrunner to probably about the #4 team in section 7 with this slow start. They should win by a lot in both of their next 2 games, so that could jump start a team in a slump.
I don't know if I'd go that far, they are still right in there with Hibbing and Hermantown. It's not like they got blown out of the water by anyone. They lost three one-goal games in a row, all on the road against very good hockey teams. I think the fact that Hermantown keeps obliterating their opponents has them emerging as the early front runner for now. But they have yet to play some of the tougher teams on their schedule.
Kamakaze

Post by Kamakaze »

yea Drew Leblanc is having an amazing year so far.