St Cloud Cathedral and N. Schmidt

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Will Cathedral be top 2 in 2A?

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 27

RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Kurt was a 2000 draft pick
casualfan

Post by casualfan »

I agree about wanting to develop at a higher level, but I would find it quite refreshing if some kids would remain for loyalty to the over-all high school experience-you only live those high school day's once and scouts already know about him!
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Yea, but you can only experience the NTDP while in HS, and only a handful of kids in the entire country get to a chance to attend.
casualfan

Post by casualfan »

I'm not doubting at all-just merely stating it would be nice to see kids live out high school experience. Anyone remember Tommmy Nevers of Edina-he was a heck of a hockey and baseball player that played out the high school experience!
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

casualfan wrote:I'm not doubting at all-just merely stating it would be nice to see kids live out high school experience. Anyone remember Tommmy Nevers of Edina-he was a heck of a hockey and baseball player that played out the high school experience!
That was also a much different time in the high school scene when Nevers played.
BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 »

And, for Johnny boy's sake, let's not forget Michael Sauer, a 19 year old former Tech hockey player, drafted 40th overall in the 2nd round of the 2005 NHL draft by the New York Rangers.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Just to clear up something, I was told by somebody tied into USA Hockey that Schmidt had not yet received any invite. I felt I should mention that since I said he had earlier in this thread (which is what I was told last summer). But he is expected to get an invite to the tryouts next spring.

Sorry for the mistake.
BlueGoose5

Post by BlueGoose5 »

1998 Apollo grad Kent Sauer played one year at UMD and was drafted by the NHL Nashville Predators and played at the AHL level.
scottparker

Post by scottparker »

So, stay out of loyalty to your local team and play against teams that can't get out of their own way, or move to a level where every game is tough, and you have to improve to stay??.. long term I can tell you that staying in a program that plays teams like River Lakes, Sartell, Tech (:-)) etc. will not make you a better player. Now, if you can play against the top teams in 18 out of 26 games, then it's another story.

It's not a black and white decision, and it's not only about being seen, but also about improving and taking on the rest of the competition down the road. Michael Sauer left his junior year as he knew that playing at Tech was not going to take him where he needed to be. What good is it to be the top player in your level of competition year-in and year-out? If you've reached the top, you need to find another peak to climb.

The kids and the parents have to make the decision when it feels right based on what they know AT THAT TIME...