Section 7AA

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who Will Win Section 7AA?

Elk River
5%
CEC
48%
Duluth East
16%
Brainerd
9%
Grand Rapids
17%
Northern Lakes
No votes
Cambridge
2%
St. Francis
2%
Andover
2%
Forest Lake
No votes

Total votes: 58

hockeyplayercoach86

hey

Post by hockeyplayercoach86 »

Do you guys even think of any of the lower teams below like 8-10 beat andover would they even get a higher seed I really don't see them ever getting above 8-10 even if they beat andover but Im wondering what you guys think since you probably know a little bit more about this then me
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

[

boblee you can't put Grand Rapids ahead of Brainerd even though you think they outplayed 'em :-k That game could have gone either way, Both goalies came up big at crucial times :!:

Syd 8)[/quote]

Syd, fact is Grand Rapids has always been a better team. From credible sources we heard Rapids controlled the flow of the game and outshot Brainerd. Remember '04 semis, Brainerd outshot Rapids (albeit numerous weak shots from the point as they crossed the zone and a bunch of hack attempts) and Rapids won 7-1 should have won 13-1. Is everyone forgetting who the section champs and state runner up is. Wait until Rapids gets everyone healthy or just back in the lineup. Brainerd does have a darn good goalie though, so maybe that'll be good enough to get by those pesky quarterfinals, eh?
Hova

Post by Hova »

I agree with Syd in saying that it is still too early to put one (brainerd/GR) above the other. The 2-2 tie could have gone either way, with a breakaway oppurtunity by Brainerd (off a turnover by White) and a flurry of shots by GR in the final powerplay, both happening in OT. One lucky deflection for either team and the game could have changed dramatically! Once GR gets all of their players healthy and both teams play a couple more games, then I think it would be just to label one better than the other. But until then:

1. Cloquet
Duluth East
3. Brainerd
Grand Rapids
5. Elk River
6. Forest Lake
7. Andover
8. Cambridge
9. St. Francis
10. The rookie - Northern Lights
nhl06

Post by nhl06 »

Big game tonight
CEC 4 (T Johnson with 2G's one assist)
DE 1
DSID
gr19

followin' the sports section

Post by gr19 »

Pretty safe to say Brainerd and Rapids will now be compared on their 7AA results the rest of the way. They both have basically the identical 7AA schedule, playing everyone important once, except they both play CEC in a home and home series. Rapids dominated the 3rd and OT because Brainerd only has 2 lines. That will likely mean the same playoff result for Brainerd.

Right now:
1. Duluth East
2. Cloquet
3. Grand Rapids More shots than Brainerd.
4. Brainerd
5. Elk River
6. Forest Lake
7. Andover
8-10 probably won't matter, sorry.
cu@darink

Post by cu@darink »

Boblee has it right Syd, sorry but you can't wish em into a championship.

I pick East over CEC
Rocks

Post by Rocks »

[quote="boblee"][quote="steelheader"]You'd have to put Cambridge at #7 with a big gap between 7 & 8. They beat St. Francis 6-1 last night and it wasn't that close.[/quote]

I would put Andover at 7 with a big gap between them and #8 Cambridge. Then STF at 9 and NL at 10.[/quote]

id put ci over andv
boblee

Post by boblee »

Rocks wrote:
boblee wrote:
steelheader wrote:You'd have to put Cambridge at #7 with a big gap between 7 & 8. They beat St. Francis 6-1 last night and it wasn't that close.
I would put Andover at 7 with a big gap between them and #8 Cambridge. Then STF at 9 and NL at 10.
id put ci over andv
Cambridge lost to FL 8-1. Andover has shown to be more competitive.
Syd Barrett

Re: followin' the sports section

Post by Syd Barrett »

GR19 wrote:Rapids dominated the 3rd and OT because Brainerd only has 2 lines.
Hey GR19 :-({|= :^o Shots on goal in OT Brainerd 8, Grand Rapids 6 and that's with Brainerd playing short handed and Rapids had their dogs on the ice for most of the OT :roll:

By the way, Gags & Hanson missed that hook on Engle in the OT, must of been some of that "Home on the Range" cookin' #-o

Syd 8)
gr19

Post by gr19 »

Syd Barrett wrote:
GR19 wrote:Rapids dominated the 3rd and OT because Brainerd only has 2 lines.
Hey GR19 :-({|= :^o Shots on goal in OT Brainerd 8, Grand Rapids 6 and that's with Brainerd playing short handed and Rapids had their dogs on the ice for most of the OT :roll:

By the way, Gags & Hanson missed that hook on Engle in the OT, must of been some of that "Home on the Range" cookin' #-o

Syd 8)
Shots on goal do not demonstrate 100% who controlled the flow of the game. A lot of times Brainerd will have the puck in the crease and three guys swing at the puck 5 times and they call it 15 shots.

Talk smack when you win a playoff game. You guys will likely be home against Elky in the first round and get schooled on your home ice. Elk River knows how to get it done in the playoffs.
hockeyfanatic99

It was at GR..right?

Post by hockeyfanatic99 »

Are you saying that the scorekeepers at Grand Rapids don't know how to do their job?
Frequent_MN_Flyer

Post by Frequent_MN_Flyer »

I'm saying Brainerd doesn't get quality shots.
pucker52

Post by pucker52 »

Why does anyone care to write about the merits of being either 7 or 8 in this section? I saw Forest Lake play, they are not good--poorly coached, lacking in skills, no discipline,etc. Yet they beat Cambridge 8-0!?! How bad does that make the bottom 6 in this section?
Shuck the puck!!!
boblee

Post by boblee »

pucker52 wrote:Why does anyone care to write about the merits of being either 7 or 8 in this section? I saw Forest Lake play, they are not good--poorly coached, lacking in skills, no discipline,etc. Yet they beat Cambridge 8-0!?! How bad does that make the bottom 6 in this section?
If Forest Lake comes to play on a given night they can be an upset special.
Syd Barrett

Post by Syd Barrett »

GR19 wrote:Talk smack when you win a playoff game. You guys will likely be home against Elky in the first round

Hey GR19 :-({|= and your little brother Freak Flyer :^o did I touch a raw nerve :roll:

I don't talk smack [-( I've played on Brainerd Teams that have won playoff games 8-[ How many Grand Rapids playoff game wins have GR19 :-({|= and Freak Flyer :^o played on :?: Combined :?:

What makes you think Brainerd will play Elk River in the playoffs at home:idea: There's still a lot of hockey left in this section and it will be a battle between five teams for 3 of the top 4 spots (assuming Cloquet doesn't have a meltdown :roll:)

Syd 8)
greatest_game_on_earth

Post by greatest_game_on_earth »

Syd Barrett wrote:
GR19 wrote:Talk smack when you win a playoff game. You guys will likely be home against Elky in the first round

Hey GR19 :-({|= and your little brother Freak Flyer :^o did I touch a raw nerve :roll:

I don't talk smack [-( I've played on Brainerd Teams that have won playoff games 8-[ How many Grand Rapids playoff game wins have GR19 :-({|= and Freak Flyer :^o played on :?: Combined :?:

What makes you think Brainerd will play Elk River in the playoffs at home:idea: There's still a lot of hockey left in this section and it will be a battle between five teams for 3 of the top 4 spots (assuming Cloquet doesn't have a meltdown :roll:)

Syd 8)
Do we really need to get into how many playoff wins we have. I had six playoff wins when i played including a state tournament apperance, does it have anything to do with 7AA this year?
Rocks

Post by Rocks »

[quote="boblee"][quote="Rocks"][quote="boblee"][quote="steelheader"]You'd have to put Cambridge at #7 with a big gap between 7 & 8. They beat St. Francis 6-1 last night and it wasn't that close.[/quote]

I would put Andover at 7 with a big gap between them and #8 Cambridge. Then STF at 9 and NL at 10.[/quote]

id put ci over andv[/quote]

Cambridge lost to FL 8-1. Andover has shown to be more competitive.[/quote]

ci beat andv today 3-2 in x-mas turney
Loon2

Post by Loon2 »

I was at the game where Rapids and Brainerd tied in over time... they play very similar games and in my opinion it seemed that they were equally deep... In the end it seems to me that the team who comes out on top in this section will be the team who comes in with the least amount of injuries and the team who has the most determination... no matter what, the semi finals and final games will be dog fights. It will be a toss up between CEC, East, GR, Brainerd and Elk River for who comes out on top... at the moment my money is on CEC... They have great depth and a strong first line... GR is still injured with White missing and Morse having a banged up knee. The future will tell how the teams recuperate for the play-offs.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Loon2 wrote:I was at the game where Rapids and Brainerd tied in over time... they play very similar games and in my opinion it seemed that they were equally deep... In the end it seems to me that the team who comes out on top in this section will be the team who comes in with the least amount of injuries and the team who has the most determination... no matter what, the semi finals and final games will be dog fights. It will be a toss up between CEC, East, GR, Brainerd and Elk River for who comes out on top... at the moment my money is on CEC... They have great depth and a strong first line... GR is still injured with White missing and Morse having a banged up knee. The future will tell how the teams recuperate for the play-offs.
Well said Mr. Loon