Holy Angels @ Wayzata 1-6-07

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Upset?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:28 pm

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes: 25

HShockeywatcher

Holy Angels @ Wayzata 1-6-07

Post by HShockeywatcher »

Do the 4-7 Trojans have a chance? They have 1 goal losses to both Cretin and Roseville...
boblee

Post by boblee »

The Academy of Holy Grail will come out and kick some Grass.

AHA 8
Wayzata 2
gopherhockey33

Post by gopherhockey33 »

aha will slaughter wayzata!

i got 6-2
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Holy Angels will win it, but I don't see the rout like Bob evidently does! :D

Wayzata plays one of the tougher schedules in the Metro - including 1 (AHA), 2 (Moorhead), and 3 (Roseville) in the current PS2 Ratings. They've also played CDH, BSM, and Anoka... Granted, they've lost them all :P , but the games they've played against these teams have all been within a goal or two...

AHA- 4
Wayzata - 2
dulutheastfan

Post by dulutheastfan »

AHA will dominate i will say......

AHA-7
Wayzata-2
oldtimer

Go Figure!

Post by oldtimer »

How can Carl Davis not put together a better squad then that with the talent in the Wayzata program?
stars612

Post by stars612 »

Well I got to say, I'm not seeing domination either.

Gotta go with the usual...
5-3 AHA
Third times a charm.
gopherhockey33

Post by gopherhockey33 »

AHA starts out a little slow some games, but they just where down the other team too much. they only scored 1 goal in the 1st against prior lake but got 6 in the 2nd! if they keep it close for the 1st 8 min or so, aha will be almost garunteed a win.
greatgame

Post by greatgame »

i think it will be a pretty good game. i didn't get to see wayzata play cdh, duluth east, bsm, blaine or roseville, but judging by the scores, if they play the same or better against holy angels, they could give them a run for their money
irishman

Post by irishman »

Asteroids-5
Condoms-1
What Can Brown Do For You?
gopherhockey33

Post by gopherhockey33 »

irishman i like your style!
HShockeywatcher

Anyone with a score or update?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

HShockeywatcher wrote:Anyone with a score or update?
2-1 AHA after 2.

i'm posting updates on the scores thread of the board.
HShockeywatcher

Gracias. I knew Wayzata was better than their record showed 8)
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Wayzata played a real good forecheck and took AHA out of their game. The goalie I found out was a sophomore and he played great. The final was AHA 2 Wayzata 1, shots were AHA 37 Wayzata 17....
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

I live in the Wayzata district, but tonight was the first time I've seen them... Somebody more familiar with the program has to explain that kid to me...

The goalie is Joe Howe, and he's a sophopmore captain... sophomore captain. And he had some great saves tonight. He looks big, confident, and controlled his rebounds well. I was definitely impressed. They should be able to jump on his back and do well for the next 2 years.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Tonight was also the first time I've seen AHA in person (saw them on CCS during the Schwan Cup), and you guys aren't kidding about their first line... it's unbelievable. Taylor Matson spent his entire night blowing past the Wayzata D like they were standing still, and he snaps his passes around - I don't think I saw a single soft pass from him. Polacek has a pretty good shot, but he has to get it down a little, he shot over the net a few times (clearly trying to beat Wayzta upstairs all night).

I don't know if he's their regular goalie, but Jon Boerger was in the cage for AHA and he looked shaky all night long. It looks like that's how teams are going to have to be beat them. Wayzata managed to put a few shots upstairs on him, and he had no idea where they were going when they bounced off.

It was kind of fun though... I got sat next to a big group of Wayzata parents, and you should have heard the groans everytime Matson touched the puck. But the game showed me that AHA can be beaten.
irishman

Post by irishman »

AHA's regular goalie is Webb
What Can Brown Do For You?
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

irishman wrote:AHA's regular goalie is Webb
Good to know. I honestly don't think Boerger could get them a title.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Honestly we are not the coaches....
I do not think that he was shaky, maybe a little off his game. He did drop the puck from his glove too many times and that is how they scored. But he stopped a few break aways and some odd man rushes. AHA was also not passing as well as they normally do, but Wayzata played a great game and took AHA away from how they normally play.
Howe was pretty darn good. He will be fun to watch the next couple of years....

AHA has two solid goalies and they are sharing the duties right now. If I was the coach, but I am not, I would go with Webb. In just what I have seen.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Zamman wrote:Honestly we are not the coaches....
I do not think that he was shaky, maybe a little off his game. He did drop the puck from his glove too many times and that is how they scored. But he stopped a few break aways and some odd man rushes. AHA was also not passing as well as they normally do, but Wayzata played a great game and took AHA away from how they normally play.
Howe was pretty darn good. He will be fun to watch the next couple of years....

AHA has two solid goalies and they are sharing the duties right now. If I was the coach, but I am not, I would go with Webb. In just what I have seen.
With the breakaway Wayzata had in 3rd period, Mohagen shot it over the net, which is too bad because it was wide open. I believe Wayzata also missed the net on the only other clean break they had as well, although I didn't have a real good look at that one from where I was sitting... Boerger may have gotten it, but he was definitely beaten on the 2nd breakaway. And Boerger was beaten on the shot with 5 minutes left when he stopped it on the goal line. It was an inch away from being a tie game, and if Wayzata could have hit the net, they may have actually been able to win it 4-2.

Like I say, it's the first time I've seen AHA, so I'll go with you in saying he had an "off night", but he was way off.
gopherhockey33

Post by gopherhockey33 »

govs, honestly, boreger played pretty good. 18 shots 1 goal. i know you can just look at stats. but he made 2 breakaway saves, and stopped 2 point blank shots! plus saying wayzata could have won 4-2 is also dumb. yes they couldve but they didnt. aha could have won 7-1 if howe wouldnt have robbed them all night!
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

gopherhockey33 wrote:govs, honestly, boreger played pretty good. 18 shots 1 goal. i know you can just look at stats. but he made 2 breakaway saves, and stopped 2 point blank shots! plus saying wayzata could have won 4-2 is also dumb. yes they couldve but they didnt. aha could have won 7-1 if howe wouldnt have robbed them all night!
He did not make 2 breakaway saves - in fact I don't know if he made any - I think Wayzata missed the net on both of them. I didn't have a clear look at the one Nispel took in early in the game, but thought he missed. I had a very clear look at the one Mohagen had in the 3rd, and he flat out missed high - and had an open net when he did.

And you're right... you can't look at the stats, because Boerger had very little to do with the fact that only 1 goal was let in. It was the fact that AHA was much faster to the puck all night long, and his defense was able to bail him out as a result. If Wayzata could have won a few more races to pucks, it could have been a different outcome. Boerger didn't know where any of his rebounds were going.

I also agree with you on Howe... that kid was something else, and another reason Wayzata stayed in the game.
gopherhockey33

Post by gopherhockey33 »

i know for a fact he made at least 1 break a way save in the 1st. in the 2nd i know he made a save on a one timer in the slot. so he still made some huge saves. but yeah i guess your right although i still think he played his best game of the season. plus you need more then an above average goalie to be the best. i dont care how good you are.
SummitGT

Post by SummitGT »

anyone know where i can get the video of this game? i saw cameras there but where can i get it?