Pioneer Press All State Team

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Icall

Post by Icall »

Pioneer Press All State Team is out.

Congrats go out to Cody, Player of the year.
RSI

Post by RSI »

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincitie ... 790701.htm

FIRST TEAM
Katharine Chute, Blake, F, sr.: Ms. Hockey Award winner had 41 goals and 38 assists in powering the Bears to the Class A state championship. Scored the winning goal in the 2-1 tournament final victory over Farmington. Is deciding between Dartmouth, Harvard and Yale.

Erin Cody, Roseville, F, sr.: A two-time all-state selection and the Pioneer Press player of the year for the 2006-07 season. Has been the Raiders' leading scorer the past three seasons. Had 34 goals and 23 assists in leading the Raiders to a fourth-place finish, including a four-goal outburst against Rochester Mayo in the quarterfinals. Has signed to play at Bemidji State.

Erin Johnson, Farmington, F, sr.: Scored a school-record 58 goals and had 44 assists for a state-best 102 points. Finished career with 291 points. Had three goals and five assists during the state tournament. Is considering Gustavus Adolphus, Wisconsin-River Falls and St. Benedict's.

Jenna Kilpatrick, New Prague, F, sr.: Two-time selection finished No. 2 on Minnesota's all-time scoring list with 267 goals and 216 assists for 483 career points. Had 39 goals and 42 assists to spark the Trojans to a runner-up finish in Section 2A. Recorded six hat tricks and one five-goal game. Ms. Hockey finalist has signed to play at Ohio State.

Ashley Nixon, Blaine, G, sr.: Recorded eight shutouts and faced 686 shots in more than 1,300 minutes on the ice. Compiled a 1.65 goals-against average and had a .939 save percentage. Had 23 shutouts in her career and faced an average of 23.5 shots a game. Has signed to play at St. Cloud State.

Kelly Seeler, Eden Prairie, D, jr.: Quarterbacked the Eagles' power play with precision. "She might be the best passer we have ever had," Eagles coach Tim Morris said. Scored five goals and had 25 assists. Early favorite to be Ms. Hockey next year.

SECOND TEAM

Kristen Elliott, Eden Prairie, G, sr.: Finished the season 14-0 in the net, allowing 14 goals and shutting out six teams. "Her teammates played so relaxed in front of her," Eagles coach Tim Morris said. A senior goalie award finalist.

Sarah Erickson, Bemidji, F, jr.: Finished with 48 goals and 20 assists to lead the Lumberjacks to the Section 8AA title. Twice has been selected to participate in the USA Hockey summer development training program in Lake Placid, N.Y. Will be heavily recruited next year.

Lauren Smith, Holy Angels, F/D, jr.: Had a breakout season with 44 goals and 41 assists in leading the Stars to a 24-4-0 record and a Missota Conference championship. Had seven hat tricks, including two five-goal games. Dished out seven assists in another game. Already is the school's all-time leading scorer.

Amanda Trunzo, Benilde-St. Margaret's, F, sr.: Had 48 goals and 46 assists in leading the Red Knights to third place in the Class AA state tournament. Had six goals and three assists in three state tournament games. Finished career with more than 300 points. Will play at Dartmouth.

Marlee Wheelhouse, Crookston, F, jr.: Helped power the Pirates to third place in Class A in the school's state tournament debut. Finished the season with 51 goals and 37 assists, including three goals and four assists during the tournament.

Amalee Windmeier, Coon Rapids, D, sr.: Scored 14 goals and assisted on 25 to help a young team secure a share of the title in the Northwest Suburban Conference. Has signed to play at Wisconsin.

THIRD TEAM

Alecia Anderson, North Metro, F, sr.: Scored 23 goals and assisted on 20 to help the Stars finish second in the Class AA state tournament. Scored three goals in North Metro's stunning 5-2 semifinal victory over favored Benilde-St. Margaret's. Scored the Stars' only goal in the 2-1 loss to Stillwater in the title game. Will play at St. Cloud State next year.

Heather Horgan, Grand Rapids, D, jr.: The converted forward rarely gets beat in one-on-one situations. Had four goals and 14 assists in helping the Lightning to the Section 7AA title and their first trip to the state tournament.

Kelsey Johnson, Stillwater, D, sr.: A strong and inspirational leader, finished with one goal and 12 assists. "She is a lights-out defender," Ponies coach Tony Scheid said. "She gets us going offensively by initiating the breakout."

Laura May, Mahtomedi, F, sr.: University of Minnesota recruit scored a school-record 35 goals and added 28 assists to lead the Zephyrs to a postseason-best runner-up finish to Blake in the Section 4A playoffs. Finished career with 214 points.

Tai Stephan, Edina, D, sr.: An outstanding two-way player, she was the centerpiece of Edina's defense that allowed only 49 goals in 47 games. Had 10 goals and 14 assists for the No. 2-rated Hornets. "It's great to have a defenseman who can win you a game," Hornets coach Mark Stephan said.

Paige Thunder, Cloquet/Esko/Carlton, G, sr.: Had a 16-6-1 record during the regular season with a .931 save percentage and a 1.57 GAA. "She is so fundamentally sound, it is extremely difficult to score on her," Lumberjacks coach Richard Bartholdi said.

— Compiled by Tim Leighton

Alli Altman, Eagan, G, jr.

Kacy Ambroz, New Prague, F, jr.

Alecia Anderson, North Metro, F, sr.

Brieanna Anderson, North Metro, F, soph.

Kate Bacon, Benilde-St. Margaret's, F, jr.

Annie Bauerfeld, South St. Paul, F, sr.

Kayleigh Bell, Stillwater, D, sr.

Lisa Berreman, Eagan, D, soph.

Breanna Bisek, New Prague, D, jr.

Ashley Bliskowski, St. Francis, D, sr.

Michelle Bonapace-Potvin, Rochester John Marshall/Lourdes, G, fresh.

Rachel Bowens-Rubin, Blake, G, sr.

Renee Brasuhn, Irondale, G, sr.

Heather Briese, Fergus Falls, D, sr.

Jamie Briski, Hibbing/Chisholm, F, sr.

Maddie Burke, Eden Prairie, G, jr.

Jess Bye, Brainerd, F, jr.

Dana Carothers, Burnsville, F/D, sr.

Jenna Christensen, Albert Lea, F, soph.

Jessica Christofferson, Bemidji, F, soph.

Margaret Chute, Blake, F, soph.

Shannon Clifford, Holy Angels, D, sr.

Kaye Collier, Hibbing/Chisholm, G, soph.

Callie Dahl, Stillwater, F, soph.

Justina DeBruzzi, Centennial, F, jr.

Sara DeSaer, Marshall, F, jr.

Kristi Ellis, Elk River, D, sr.

Brittany Erickson, Rochester Mayo, F, sr.

Brittney Evans, Edina, F, sr.

Kristin Faber, Austin, F, sr.

Melissa Feste, Eden Prairie, F, jr.

Kyla Fink, Hibbing/Chisholm, F, sr.

Katie Florin, Winona, F, sr.

Kacey Franklin, Fergus Falls, F, sr.

Kaite Frederickson, Fergus Falls, D, sr.

Emily Friedl, Winona, G, sr.

Mel Gerten, Simley, G, sr.

Alyssa Grogan, Eagan, G, jr.

Ariel Hakala, Hibbing/Chisholm, F, sr.

Madeline Hammer, Owatonna, D, sr.

Brittany Hartman, Edina, F, sr.

Allison Harwood, Rochester Mayo, F, sr.

Grace Heimsness, Austin, F, sr.

Tiffany Hoffman, New Ulm, F, sr.

Katie Horner, North Metro, D, sr.

Alyssa Isaackson, Marshall, F, jr.

Jill Jacobs, Marshall, F, jr.

Taylor Jenkins, Austin, F, jr.

Kelli Johnson, Farmington, D, sr.

Stacy Johnson, Moorhead, F, sr.

Courtney Josefson, Bemidji, F, sr.

Keeta Koalska, Centennial, F, sr.

Sally Komarek, Blake, F, soph.

Kayla Kreuter, North Metro, G, eighth

Colleen Krmpotich, Holy Angels, D/F, sr.

Katy Kvasnicka, Mankato West/Loyola, F, eighth

Ashlan Lambert, Eden Prairie, D, sr.

Jessica Laurinaitis, Wayzata, D, jr.

Gretchen Leyendecker, Rochester John Marshall/Lourdes, F, sr.

Danielle Linn, New Ulm, G, sr.

Sadie Lundquist, Cloquet/Esko/Carlton, F, jr.

Ariel Mackley, Burnsville, D, jr.

Liz Maidl, Rochester Century, G, soph.

Erin McNamara, Farmington, G, sr.

Lindsey Mortinson, Burnsville, G, sr.

Alex Nelson, Andover, F, soph.

Sandy Nelson, Spring Lake Park, D, sr.

Corinne O'Connor, New Ulm, F, soph.

Ashley Olson, Fairmont, F, soph.

Gracie Olson, Holy Angels, F, jr.

Savannah Osborn, Bemidji, G, sr.

Danielle Persson, Crookston, F, jr.

Morgan Pieper, Warroad, G, jr.

Amanda Plumm, Stillwater, G, sr.

Catherine Psimos, Rochester Mayo, F, sr.

Alli Pullar, Hibbing/Chisholm, D, sr.

Terra Rasmussen, Coon Rapids, F/D, sr.

Shannon Reilly, Benilde-St. Margaret's, D, sr.

Rachel Ripley, Farmington, F, jr.

Kelsey Romatoski, Holy Angels, D/F, soph.

Sarah Schneekloth, Marshall, G, soph.

Allison Schwab, Stillwater, F, jr.

Toni Simones, South St. Paul, F, jr.

Megan Sjolie, Fergus Falls, F, sr.

Amy Snyder, Austin, G, sr.

Ashley Stenerson, Moorhead, F, fresh.

Maria Stoa, Eden Prairie, F, sr.

Madison Strybicki, Breck, D, soph.

Amy Udvig, Irondale, D, sr.

Amanda Umhoefer, Mankato West/Loyola, F, sr.

Montana Vichorek, Cloquet-Esko-Carlton, D, jr.

Bailey Vikstrom, Burnsville, D, sr.

Lexy Wangen, Crookston, D, fresh.

Danielle Welch, Hastings, F, jr.

Liz Westberg, Holy Angels, G, sr.

Erika Wheelhouse, Crookston, D, soph.

Sarah Yungner, Wayzata, D, sr.
pondhockey

Post by pondhockey »

It's nice to see these talented players be recognized that didn't quite make it to State. Congratulations to the 4 senior players from Fergus Falls and Moorhead's Stenerson. Also to Lundquist & Vichorek from Cloquet for their mention. It's well deserved for all these great players.
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

No mention of Emily Erickson? Seriously?
Stinkin Rootbeer

Post by Stinkin Rootbeer »

What a joke of a list...they missed so many great players
tigerpower

Post by tigerpower »

you have to realize this is the pioneer's press's opinion they picked their top how ever many...it was the press's decision that doesn't mean the best are on here and there may be some "okay" players here but this isn't the picks of the coaches or the fans- it's the press

what? isn't your daughter on it? :wink:
boblee

Post by boblee »

GivinYaTheBusiness wrote:No mention of Emily Erickson? Seriously?
I guess one way players don't make this list.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Overall, great representation of the northland.
Stinkin Rootbeer

Post by Stinkin Rootbeer »

No actually I am not a parent..I am just a big fan of the Alexandria program (I know the coaches) and there is no one from that team any where on the list...
boblee

Post by boblee »

Stinkin Rootbeer wrote:No actually I am not a parent..I am just a big fan of the Alexandria program (I know the coaches) and there is no one from that team any where on the list...
That is a shame. I saw them play and they deserve a girl or two.
twowayplay

Post by twowayplay »

Given the pioneer's press's pathetic High School rankings throughout the season, I would not give mush credence to this list :o
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

boblee wrote:
GivinYaTheBusiness wrote:No mention of Emily Erickson? Seriously?
I guess one way players don't make this list.
True.
boblee

Post by boblee »

And that is no knock on Emily. She obviously has a lot of offensive firepower, but most of the girls on this list are great two-way hockey players. Something Emily still has time to develop.
MNHOCKEY1

Post by MNHOCKEY1 »

They sure did miss alot of Division 1 players. They should stick to basketball.
allhoc11

PP

Post by allhoc11 »

boblee wrote:And that is no knock on Emily. She obviously has a lot of offensive firepower, but most of the girls on this list are great two-way hockey players. Something Emily still has time to develop.
I think you are giving the PP too much credit, I don't think they do the research to know the difference between a two & one way player. I think their list serves their readers. If you look at their ranking all year it's not hard to see that they don't have many people on staff that have been inside a rink while a GHS hockey game is being played. They did send out some stuff to coaches, and it looks as if they went by points, and what a few coaches said about their own players.
MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan »

There were at least two other players from BSM that deserved to be on the list: forward Emma Shields-Nordness (NDP Phase III) and defenseman Ashley Duffy. Any other school would have loved to have had these two very fine players on their roster.
pondhockey

Re: PP

Post by pondhockey »

allhoc11 wrote: They did send out some stuff to coaches, and it looks as if they went by points, and what a few coaches said about their own players.
It might have been just a few coach's that responded. I was surprised as well that the Alex girls were missing. They didn't get too far at the tournament so I figured they were overlooked for that. Abby Williams went over the 100 point mark in the tournament and Kathryn DelZoppo is up in the high 80's or low 90's. It's too bad that not everyone who deserved to be recognized on that list wasn't, but in the great words of a great man (my father) "Life isn't fair, and the sooner you realize that the better off you'll be." The great players don't play for the recognition anyway, they play for the love of the game. Am I right?
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

The Pioneer Press seems to always manage several notable omissions each year. Several that all here might even agree on...if you can believe that. I usually just chalk it up to a lack of info / complete knowledge on the PP's part as opposed to a contrary opinion of said players ability...also on their part.
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

brookyone wrote:The Pioneer Press seems to always manage several notable omissions each year. Several that all here might even agree on...if you can believe that. I usually just chalk it up to a lack of info / complete knowledge on the PP's part as opposed to a contrary opinion of said players ability...also on their part.
Has anyone seen the lists for the AP all-state and the Minnesota Girls Hockey Coaches Association all-state players?
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

brookyone wrote:The Pioneer Press seems to always manage several notable omissions each year. Several that all here might even agree on...if you can believe that. I usually just chalk it up to a lack of info / complete knowledge on the PP's part as opposed to a contrary opinion of said players ability...also on their part.
The somewhat funny part is they have almost 100 HM's and still have left key players off the list. I'm trying to figure out how that is possible!
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

this list is a joke! lol but what can ya do.. (there are about 4-5 alexandria players that should be on this list above others, but i wont mention any names)
allhoc11

Post by allhoc11 »

GOCARDS1 wrote:this list is a joke! lol but what can ya do.. (there are about 4-5 alexandria players that should be on this list above others, but i wont mention any names)
I agree there are a couple Alex kids that were overlooked (Williams, Holmes are the top two), past that I think it is hard to make an argument just because of the high point totals......I think that you had a very solid team, but I think stat totals were a bit inflated due to playing a very low strength of schedule. If these players want some more recognition the team needs to be better than 1-3 against quality teams.
GOCARDS1

Post by GOCARDS1 »

5-2 over moorhead, 5-2 over bemidji, 3-4 OT to crookston, 0-1 OT to hibbing, and 4-5 OT to breck. i think these games deserve some recognition. Those last three were very close to being wins. Sure, the stats are probably somewhat inflated, but obviously the whole Alexandria team was overlooked completely, because I know that there are 4-5 players that could easily be on the All-state team or honorable mention. I am just judging this by some of the other players I see on this list.
But who cares, the pioneer press is lame.
Sioux Rule

Post by Sioux Rule »

GOCARDS1 wrote:5-2 over moorhead, 5-2 over bemidji, 3-4 OT to crookston, 0-1 OT to hibbing, and 4-5 OT to breck. i think these games deserve some recognition. Those last three were very close to being wins. Sure, the stats are probably somewhat inflated, but obviously the whole Alexandria team was overlooked completely, because I know that there are 4-5 players that could easily be on the All-state team or honorable mention. I am just judging this by some of the other players I see on this list.
But who cares, the pioneer press is lame.
As I said earlier, when Alex was ranked #2, they should not have been! Alex has some real nice players, but they definately play a weak schedule. Until they start playing a tougher schedule, they are not going to fair well down at the state tournament. They went 0-2 this year. I believe they're overall record at state is like 1-8. You don't get recognition by losing close games, you get recognition by winning close games. Alex definately deserved some players on the Pioneer Press, no doubt about it.
Icall

Post by Icall »

I have seen Alex play a few times and I'm not impressed. I believe you may have 1 that could make this list, 2 at the most.