Grand Rapids/Greenway Lightning Thread

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

southern-cross-check

Post by southern-cross-check »

sweet jesus these girls are awesome and now everyone else knows it
PASTRAPIDSFAN

Post by PASTRAPIDSFAN »

GRG 2-1 OT WIN
demongoed

Post by demongoed »

Who scored?
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

Erickson, Arola for the gamewinner. Goooooo LIGHTNING!
boblee

Post by boblee »

Like boblee has said for months...Arola gets the biggest goal of the year! Congrats Lightning!
boblee

Post by boblee »

Well, it was a great year for the Lightning. A little bit of a rough start, 4-5, but what a job they did down the strech going 16-2 and skating into the state tournament. Obviously, two very tough loses in the state tournament. The girls have nothing to be down about and should hang their heads high, however. Every part of that team was needed to do what they did, both goalies, 4 lines, 5 d, and a tweener. This Co-op is really something special and is certainly pulling two communities together. Being from Grand Rapids, I'd like to thank Greenway for the Guyer's (Haley and Marina), Hannah Johnson, Emily Erickson, and Jenae Hoeft. And a huge thanks to Walker, MN for Molly Arola. She was easily my favorite player to watch this year, and she made me look like a genius scoring the game winning goal in OT of the section final. I have to give a round of applause here for all the seniors. Natalie Newton, Amanda Bialon, Michelle Tanner, Jessica Hiipakka, Maggie Rothstein, Stacey Hull, and Sara Hammann. I am more than proud of all of you girls and I know you will all succeed greatly in life. Now for the returners; Emily Erickson, Dana Gallop, Marina Guyer, Molly Arola, Markie DeGrio, Jenae Hoeft, Molly Illikanen, Haley Guyer, Heather Horgen, Kayla Clafton, Morgan Illikanen, and Bessie Havel. You girls accomplished so much this year. Keep that fire in your hearts and get yourselves back to the X next season. There is no doubt in my mind that I'll be watching you girls down there again in late February next year. Congrats to every girl on this team and certainly the coaching staff (Pat Rendle, Chris Granley, Mike Newton, Dale Gunderson, and Darrin Illikanen) on an amazing season. And thanks to all the parents for making this a great season. It was a great time getting to know almost all of the parents. Parents, just keep in mind now, your daughters are "Champions Forever..."

boblee is signing off- "LET'S GO LIGHTNING!"
Last edited by boblee on Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

I just wanted to thank the Lightning for a hell of a season. It was a pleasure to watch them, and even more of a pleasure to know the seniors. Natalie, Michelle, Maggie, Amanda, Jessica, Sara, and Stacey you're a great group of girls, and good luck in the future! Good luck to all the multi-sport athletes in their spring and fall sports, and I personally can't wait for Lightning Hockey '07-'08. Here's to hoping for another trip to the X! Go Lightning!
northwoods oldtimer

Great Season!

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Congratulations on a great season Grand Rapids-Greenway girls you had a great season. With work schedule and travel I do not get to see many games but you girls were a treat to watch down at State. Work very hard in the off season and hopefully next year you can make it back to state. Here's hoping that you do and the puck bounces your way next season!
boblee

Post by boblee »

Congrats to Heather Horgen on her Pioneer Press 3rd Team All State Selection.
southern-cross-check

You girls rocked. Let's do it same time, same place next year.

Bringing home the hardware is in the lightning's horizon!
deke

Post by deke »

Here's the question everyones been waiting for!!!

What was Rendle think when he didn't play Havel on Saturday?
boblee

Post by boblee »

Simple answer, he was letting a senior play in the state tournament. She played very well, and I honestly don't think that playing Hammann cost them the game. You have dogged me for getting on a player a little bit about her defensive effort...I am going to get on you for getting on a coach who made the right decision. You are three posts too deep in this message board right now.
deke

Post by deke »

I'm sure as the players, coaches, and fans exited Ridder Arena they thought, "Its ok that we lost today and the season is done.....at least the seniors got to play"
boblee

Post by boblee »

deke wrote:I'm sure as the players, coaches, and fans exited Ridder Arena they thought, "Its ok that we lost today and the season is done.....at least the seniors got to play"
They did not lose the game because of goaltending. They lost the game because they couldn't put the puck in the net.
boblee

Post by boblee »

deke:

The Lightning had a fabulous year. They started 4-5 but then went 16-2 down the stretch into the state tournament. They lost a close game to one of the state's best in BSM, and they lost in 2 OT to a very good Burnsville team. I can't think of one girl who had a poor season. Not even the senior goalie you are ragging, not even the assistant JV coaches had a poor year. You can dwell on what could have been or you can appreciate what is. I would pick the latter there. The girls had a great year and they should be hearing nothing but great things on their season as a whole. I know I am guilty of dogging from time to time, but come on. They beat all odds to get down to St. Paul. Put a smile on your face and make a Lightning shirt.
Partagas

Post by Partagas »

Well said bobbylee. They had a great year and had a wonderful time in st. paul. We all want to win, sometimes you don't. My thoughts on OT games.... once in OT it's a flip of the coin.
SEhockeyDAD

GRG

Post by SEhockeyDAD »

boblee wrote:They did not lose the game because of goaltending. They lost the game because they couldn't put the puck in the net.
I was at that game, and you are correct, bob. GRG controlled the game from mid 2nd period through OT and right until the end. The puck was everywhere in the Burnsville end, except in the goal.
MNHockeyFan

Re: GRG

Post by MNHockeyFan »

SEhockeyDAD wrote:I was at that game, and you are correct, bob. GRG controlled the game from mid 2nd period through OT and right until the end. The puck was everywhere in the Burnsville end, except in the goal.
I watched Burnsville's first game against North Metro. For most of the game NM seemed to be the stronger team as the puck was in the Burnsville zone for long stretches at a time. But then all of a sudden Burnsville would come back on a counterattack and put it in the net on some very nice plays. And then in O.T., one of the Burnsville players comes down, makes a great move to get all the way in, totally dekes the goalie - but somehow misses the open net. Very unfortunate for them - that missed opportunity changed the complexion of the whole tournament. Like Partagas said, in OT it's usually a flip of the coin.
southern-cross-check

Re: GRG

SEhockeyDAD wrote:And then in O.T., one of the Burnsville players comes down, makes a great move to get all the way in, totally dekes the goalie - but somehow misses the open net. Very unfortunate for them - that missed opportunity changed the complexion of the whole tournament. Like Partagas said, in OT it's usually a flip of the coin.

It would be kind of fun to see a H.S twist on a best of 5 or 7 series.

As long as the sections are stacked up right, it's a sure bet that 8 good teams are entering the mix. Why not let them play a 3 game series throughout.

If it's really about the sport, then celebrate it for a week or two. This one game and its over stuff is gay. For the state of hockey, it ought to be.
boblee

Post by boblee »

Congrats to Emily Erickson and Natalie Newton on their AP All State Selections...with all of the All States combined I think we got three, Horgen being the other (3rd team PP)
deke

Post by deke »

I deal with numbers all day long. So I looked up some.

Hamman 2.74% GA
Havel 1.83%

With the calibur of play GRG was going to face with Burnsville and the amount of pucks that were going into the net for our offense. On paper, we lost the game before we got off the bus.
Strategic Aims

Post by Strategic Aims »

Are cross bars and hit goal posts figured in your stats...how about four years of hard work and dedication to a high school program...or the charactor it takes to except a back up role to younger player who is playing well, and then supporting that player so she continues to play well...its a cheap shot to blame a goalie for a loss...especially in that game where there was a defensive break with 2 seconds to play in the game, which resulted in a breakaway and wonderful save which send the game into what resulted in 2 overtimes...coaches have big shoulders and are used to handling the silly comments made by specators who never seem to understand what high school sports are all about... but talking about a player is out of line..."we never had a chance..." leads me to beleive you are a player, which means you should know better than to make such stupid comments or and if your not...then there is no WE... the WE is the team which does not include you...
Media

Post by Media »

well Deke I often fight off the desire to reply but you my friend deserve reply. You strike me as a selfish uninformed hypcrit. someone who if you do or did play the game is the worst kind of loser that there is. For you or anyone else to single out any player infers to me that you would believe that the player did not give their best effort. I know each and every girl on that team and can tell you straight up that is not the case. On a team where a player shows up every day and practices hard and challenges there team in every way to be the best they can be to get a shot and to go to overtime against one of the best teams in the state there is no shame in that. I would bet you have never played the position, and if you have not couldnot fully understand the stupidity of your unintellegent comments. You my friend are a disgrace to High school athletics, and an embarrasment to yourself I am 30 seconds dumber for reading your comments !
boblee

post 7041

Post by boblee »

deke wrote:I deal with numbers all day long. So I looked up some.

Hamman 2.74% GA
Havel 1.83%

With the calibur of play GRG was going to face with Burnsville and the amount of pucks that were going into the net for our offense. On paper, we lost the game before we got off the bus.
Stop whining. It was a great year, I'm tired of your crap.
Last edited by boblee on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boblee

post 7042

Post by boblee »

Media wrote:well Deke I often fight off the desire to reply but you my friend deserve reply. You strike me as a selfish uninformed hypcrit. someone who if you do or did play the game is the worst kind of loser that there is. For you or anyone else to single out any player infers to me that you would believe that the player did not give their best effort. I know each and every girl on that team and can tell you straight up that is not the case. On a team where a player shows up every day and practices hard and challenges there team in every way to be the best they can be to get a shot and to go to overtime against one of the best teams in the state there is no shame in that. I would bet you have never played the position, and if you have not couldnot fully understand the stupidity of your unintellegent comments. You my friend are a disgrace to High school athletics, and an embarrasment to yourself I am 30 seconds dumber for reading your comments !
Media-you hit that right on the head.