Bemidji State

Discussion of Minnesota Girls High School Hockey

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

xwildfan

Bemidji State

Post by xwildfan »

Heard some folks at the Meltdown talking about BSU going D3 next year. Any truth to this story?
brookyone

Bemidji State

Post by brookyone »

I hadn't heard this one myself. Off the top of my head, I'd be a little skeptical that it's true...and surprised if it happened when early last season or thereabouts, BSU released a notice that they were adding scholarships over the next two seasons to eventually reach the full complement of 18...in '07-'08 I believe. I'd call that THE major factor in becoming more competitive in the WCHA. It's next to impossible to compete with the conference powers without an equal number of scholarships IMO. BSU was much improved and far more competitive than they had been in the past in the games I watched last season. I attribute that to Sertich for the most part. A good coach IMO and proven winner. Take the handcuffs off (give him an equal number of scholarships) and I think he can make them even more competitive. Location may be a bit of a tough sell for some potential recruits but I don't see that as an insurmountable obstacle. Anyway, I'd be disappointed to see BSU leave the WCHA. I think the state can support the D-I programs that currently exist.
Bensonmum

Post by Bensonmum »

Could it be somebody is yanking your chain?
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

Well, I can't imagine a motive for that, and would call that a waste of time & effort...or a very cheap thrill. I don't really buy the "rumor" anyway. I'll believe it when I see it, not before.
GivinYaTheBusiness

Post by GivinYaTheBusiness »

There's a slight truth to the matter, actually. BSU is in financial problems with athletics, being that hockey uses the most money, the hockey girls (and boys, for that matter) are raising money. It wouldn't be next year, I think they have 2 or 3 years to raise the money.
brookyone

Post by brookyone »

GivinYaTheBusiness wrote:There's a slight truth to the matter, actually. BSU is in financial problems with athletics, being that hockey uses the most money, the hockey girls (and boys, for that matter) are raising money. It wouldn't be next year, I think they have 2 or 3 years to raise the money.
Well I'm sorry to hear this. I hope they can find a way, and generate the needed funds to remain in the WCHA. I'd hate to lose the Beavers.
ghshockeyfan

Post by ghshockeyfan »

I hate to speculate, as I know better, but I hear that there is an arena going up soon? Is this true? Also, I would think the eventual goal would be to get the boys in the WCHA to eliminate so much travel costs as they have now. My guess is that the new arena is an effort to make a push for this? That aside, I would think that the finances would improve without that cost of added travel for many NC & conf. play as currently affiliated - but, I would think an arena isn't cheap either???