Vikings off-season moves

The Only Forum for Non-Hockey Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:01 am

State Champ 97 wrote:
Blue Breeze wrote:
State Champ 97 wrote:
Blue Breeze wrote:I liked the draft. AP was the best available player by far period. Rice is going to be a work in progress, but would have been a 1st rounder had he stayed as dangla alluded to. McCauley adds depth to the defensive backfield and could have easily gone in the 2nd. The Vikes are clearly not going to be contenders next year, so hopefully these guys are keys to the future. Outlook's still bleak, but a potential gamebreaker in Peterson may at least make the games more entertaining.
Please don't call anyone I will eventually cheer for AP. :? :lol:

I like the Peterson pick, jury is still out on Rice nad McCauley was a stretch. Yeah he's a 6' CB. 4 CAREER interceptions. That should make him a second day pick or free agent sign.
You're looking way too much into numbers when evaluating McCauley. Interceptions are not a great benchmark for the production of CB's. He has all the tools to be effective in the league. I guarantee he would have gone shortly after had we not taken him. He's a boom or bust type player , easily a 1st day pick and his potential makes him worth the pick.
I may be and part of that is they didn't throw to his side of the field too. IDK. I am going by Mel Kiper because I had not heard of this McCauley guy. The report on him is he had a great junior year but very poor senior year. Either way I think the Vikes had a pretty decent draft. Only time will tell how good it actually was. Look back in three years and see where these guys are.
That is true, he did have a poor senior season, as did the rest of Fresno St. But looking at physical abilities and potential, he can be slotted in that range. Will he pan out, who knows? It's a crapshoot just like the rest of the draft, but considering has that potential I can't fault the pick.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:06 pm

It seems to me that they had a good draft. They were able to help themselves where they need it most, on offense, and still draft the best palyer on the board.

I dont get the Rice over Jarret pick but I have never see Rice play that I remember.

AP will be the most taleneted back we have had since Smith. I dont put much stock in the injury concern. Remember we put that label on Smith after his first 2 seasons( remember the chicken pox) and he turned out to be a big time talent.

Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:31 pm

I can understand the apprehension over the pick of Rice over Jarrett.

But if you put Rice at USC and Jarrett in South Carolina and the Vikes passed on Rice for Jarrett, would you second guess that pick as well?

Rice and Allison could be two future starting WR's for this team. Throw in AP and a hopefully good QB in Jackson, and the team actually might have a formidable offense. A lot of what-ifs, but the pieces for it are in place.

Hopefully Childress alters his style a bit because I think that could hold the team back in the future. In fact, a bad enough year this year and I'd show him the door.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:36 pm

Exactly BB. Me & my buddy had this exact discussion today and this is what we came up with.

Who was South Carolina's QB? Can anyone think of it off the top of their head?

Competition. SC is in the SEC (best conference in the nation) and USC is Pac 10 (all about the O, little D).

Speed. Name 1 premier WR who doesn't have top speed.

Big plays. All those 1 handed catches by Dwayne, how many might Sidney have not had to make 1 handed because he would have been in position for 2? It's like some nice plays made in the OF by outfielders, a lot of them wouldn't have needed to be diving plays by most players because they would have already been under the ball.

I like the Rice pick, he is supposed to be a Top 15 if he had stayed for another year.

Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Tue May 01, 2007 8:34 am

I would have a hard time drafting a guy over another one based on I think that if they would have traded schools one would have been as good as another if not better, maybe.

But thats just me.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Tue May 01, 2007 12:50 pm

packerboy wrote:I would have a hard time drafting a guy over another one based on I think that if they would have traded schools one would have been as good as another if not better, maybe.

But thats just me.
And that's why you are no good.

dangla.

Post by dangla. » Tue May 01, 2007 5:13 pm

ok as i go on thinking about the sidney rice pick if he would of stayed he would have been a first round draft pick right? ok so think if he has some stuff to work on and becomes better just think we will pretty much have 3 first rounders even thou drafted last year chad greenway hurt in preseason last year but starting mlb? adrian peterson well i think you all no how good he is

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Tue May 01, 2007 6:10 pm

Ironic: He has a period at the end of his name, but he doesn't use one in his post.

Blue Breeze

Post by Blue Breeze » Tue May 01, 2007 6:11 pm

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Ironic: He has a period at the end of his name, but he doesn't use one in his post.

I don't know if periods would have helped. :lol:

TomTheBomb

Post by TomTheBomb » Wed May 02, 2007 12:39 am

I was told Troy Williamson was sent to some kind of hand/eye coordination school during the off season. Anyone know any details about this? Apparently it's a Nike school, or sponsored by Nike, and Torry Holt also participated in it after a freshman year slump.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Wed May 02, 2007 9:07 am

An NFL first round draft choice as a wide reciever has to go to coordination school. This is great. :lol:

This even beats that first round pick Denny Green made of that defensive end who was a real nut bag and decided to quit.

I forget his name.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:00 am

packerboy wrote:An NFL first round draft choice as a wide reciever has to go to coordination school. This is great. :lol:

This even beats that first round pick Denny Green made of that defensive end who was a real nut bag and decided to quit.

I forget his name.
Dementia Underwood

State Champ 97

Post by State Champ 97 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:05 am

Neutron 14 wrote:
packerboy wrote:An NFL first round draft choice as a wide reciever has to go to coordination school. This is great. :lol:

I forget his name.
Dementia Underwood
Didn't he end up playing for the Cowboys for a while?

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Wed May 02, 2007 10:06 am

Speaking of first round head scratchers.

Darrin Nelson said this after being selected 7th overall in the 1982 NFL Draft.

"I'm excited about playing for the Vikings, I've never been to Wisconsin before."

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Wed May 02, 2007 10:11 am

Irishmans Shanty wrote:Speaking of first round head scratchers.

Darrin Nelson said this after being selected 7th overall in the 1982 NFL Draft.

"I'm excited about playing for the Vikings, I've never been to Wisconsin before."
Wasn't Darrin the one who didn't want to come to Minnesota because of the lack of Disco's?

Irishmans Shanty

Post by Irishmans Shanty » Wed May 02, 2007 10:19 am

I think you're right Neut. Two for one Grain Belt Premiums at Liquor Lyles or a stiff pour at Stand Up Franks isn't what Darrin Nelson had in mind.

Found this on Underwood though.

It's hard to keep R. Jay Soward, John Avery and Jamain Stephens out of the 29th spot, but Dimitrius Underwood is arguably the dumbest pick ever made in the first round. Despite the warning signs, Underwood sat out his last season at Michigan State for no legitimate reason and coaches at MSU told NFL scouts he wasn't mentally stable, Underwood was physically impressive enough to get the Vikings to take a leap … right off a cliff. He fled training camp on his first day, never to return. The Vikings cut him before the regular season began, at which point the Dolphins claimed him. He then went on to play for the Cowboys in 2000-01. Long story short, he attempted suicide twice in an abbreviated career and was never heard from again

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 am

How could I forget Dimitrius.

Denny's arrogance got in the way on that one. He figured he could straighten him out.

However, as the great bluesbuddy would say, he needed a pyscho the rapist.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:05 am

packerboy wrote:How could I forget Dimitrius.

Denny's arrogance got in the way on that one. He figured he could straighten him out.

However, as the great bluesbuddy would say, he needed a pyscho the rapist.
I also remember it not being a failure of due diligence, but of due intelligence on the Sheriffs part.

dangla.

Post by dangla. » Thu May 03, 2007 3:52 pm

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote:Ironic: He has a period at the end of his name, but he doesn't use one in his post.

i delted a couple of stuff but ddint take the time to read it again my bad

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Thu May 03, 2007 5:50 pm

dangla. wrote:

i delted a couple of stuff but ddint take the time to read it again my bad
Do me a favor and read them over again. And again.

Culpepper was the only reason that the Sheriff looked decent after that draft of Underwood. If both hadn't panned out, he would have been out of here a couple years earlier than he actually was.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri May 04, 2007 9:07 am

ER, you are a little crabby lately. Whats up? Is the traffic up there getting to you?

Ill be drivin thru on the way up to da lake so we wil see how bad its gettin.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Fri May 04, 2007 1:37 pm

packerboy wrote:ER, you are a little crabby lately. Whats up? Is the traffic up there getting to you?

Ill be drivin thru on the way up to da lake so we wil see how bad its gettin.
The emissions are what is getting to me. And unfortunately because of the construction on 101, traveling after 9pm doesn't make it much better anymore. Stay away from ER if at all possible!

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Fri May 04, 2007 4:13 pm

EREmpireStrikesBack wrote: Stay away from ER if at all possible!

Ya, like we were all dying to go there...

Govs93

Post by Govs93 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:28 pm

Looks like Daunte Culpepper is on his way out of Miami one way or another.

Anybody know of a team in search of a veteran backup quarterback?

Anybody?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:43 pm

This is a guy, in my opinion, who has had a pretty serious run of bad luck.
To go from an MVP type year, to a bad month the next year and a possible career ending injury has got to be hard to swallow.

To me, he seemed to carry himself pretty well, both on and off the field.

Something must have happened behind the scenes for a new coach to just give up on him that quickly. The boat fiasco- while not the smartest thing to be involved with- I don't think should have led to him being gone.

Ive often wondered about the hit he took to the side of his knee. So much for protecting quarterbacks. If somebody ever hits Favre like that, there will be hell to pay.

Good luck to Daunte. He deserves a better fate.