Josh Birkholz has committed to the University of Minnesota

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

capt

Josh Birkholz has committed to the University of Minnesota

Post by capt »

The Gopher Hockey Blog is reporting that Blake forward Josh Birkholz has committed to the University of Minnesota for the fall of 2010. Birkholz, who stands a 6', 170 lbs. and is from Maple Grove, Minn., could come in a year earlier if the Gophers are hit hard with pro departures

CONGRATS TO JOSH
Goldy23

Post by Goldy23 »

Congrats Birk!
flatontheice

Post by flatontheice »

Congrats Josh!!
Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack »

Already a big kid for his age, when Birk fills in to his body, he will have the size, hands and hockey sense necessary for a WCHA player. Great move by the gophs!

Congrats to Josh!
I'm finishing my coffee
Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 »

I'm a little surprised they took Birkholz before a kid like Budish but what do I know. :(

Congratulations to Josh.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Budish may still be looking around. He's playing football now.

From my understanding, Birkholz's dream was to play for the U.
Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog »

Hockeyguy_27 wrote:I'm a little surprised they took Birkholz before a kid like Budish but what do I know. :(
It isn't a matter of taking one over the other. He was just ready to make his choice despite the fact he had a lot of other visits scheduled (UW, UND, BU, SCSU, etc.) He could have taken his time if he had wished.

You don't have to worry about how they are handling other situations. They are in good shape with some highly touted guys.
breakout

Post by breakout »

Gopher Blog wrote:
Hockeyguy_27 wrote:I'm a little surprised they took Birkholz before a kid like Budish but what do I know. :(
It isn't a matter of taking one over the other. He was just ready to make his choice despite the fact he had a lot of other visits scheduled (UW, UND, BU, SCSU, etc.) He could have taken his time if he had wished.

You don't have to worry about how they are handling other situations. They are in good shape with some highly touted guys.

Wow, the young man had a lot of visits scheduled. Just like that, BAM he decides on Gophs. It's almost like it was his dream to play for the U :wink:
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

Gopher Blog wrote:You don't have to worry about how they are handling other situations. They are in good shape with some highly touted guys.
Are the Gophers looking at some of the big names out-of-state? There are certainly a lot of great players from non-traditional hockey areas available. The pickings for elite players in Minnesota seem to be getting a bit slim. Nick Mattson, Budish, Leddy, Schmidt, Walters and possibly Landman are about all I can think of before going down to the '92s.
2FUN

Post by 2FUN »

Exiled One: Come on are you serious? Do you really believe that there are only 6 or 7 kids from Minnesota that will be recruited? You must not get out much or you are a little slighted towards these kids! :roll: Look at the kids that went out to New York this year clearly some very strong talent. From the word out there a host of these kids are all being saught after by a host of schools and Minnesota is one of them. Just an FYI :D
breakout

Post by breakout »

2FUN wrote:Exiled One: Come on are you serious? Do you really believe that there are only 6 or 7 kids from Minnesota that will be recruited? You must not get out much or you are a little slighted towards these kids! :roll: Look at the kids that went out to New York this year clearly some very strong talent. From the word out there a host of these kids are all being saught after by a host of schools and Minnesota is one of them. Just an FYI :D
The players he noted are high profile players at this time. Certainly there are others that are and will be recruited.
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

breakout wrote:
2FUN wrote:Exiled One: Come on are you serious? Do you really believe that there are only 6 or 7 kids from Minnesota that will be recruited? You must not get out much or you are a little slighted towards these kids! :roll: Look at the kids that went out to New York this year clearly some very strong talent. From the word out there a host of these kids are all being saught after by a host of schools and Minnesota is one of them. Just an FYI :D
The players he noted are high profile players at this time. Certainly there are others that are and will be recruited.
That is correct, thanks breakout.
2FUN

Post by 2FUN »

High profile on this web site but not in the hockey communtiy. Just because an athelet gets pub here by friends, family and themselves does not make him a high profile player. I personally can think of at least 8 additioanl players that are being heavily recruited and will probably be drafted in the USHL this year. The athelets mentioned for the most part are solid choices but do not be missled to think that they are the top of the heap. :wink:
breakout

Post by breakout »

2FUN wrote:High profile on this web site but not in the hockey communtiy. Just because an athelet gets pub here by friends, family and themselves does not make him a high profile player. I personally can think of at least 8 additioanl players that are being heavily recruited and will probably be drafted in the USHL this year. The athelets mentioned for the most part are solid choices but do not be missled to think that they are the top of the heap. :wink:

I believe those kids listed went through an extensive tryout process to get high level recognition. I believe USA Hockey thinks of them as top of the heap for their birth year, at least for this year. Their achievments are not just friend/family hype.

Continue to work hard and don't worry about others. Control what you can control..............that's you :wink:
Walter Sojack

Post by Walter Sojack »

Definitely high profile players who definitely have a shot at the gophs and can obviously play USHL. New York, Michigan, Massacussetts... These MN 92(?)s are at the top everywhere
I'm finishing my coffee
2FUN

Post by 2FUN »

Like I said they are high profile players on this page only. These were only a couple of the players invited out by USA hockey and none of them were invited to the team. As a matter of fact they were actually talking to another athelte after the Plymouth camp as well. Not sure what happened to him or the rest. Check the birthyear I believe they are not 92's :roll:
The Exiled One

Post by The Exiled One »

2FUN wrote:Like I said they are high profile players on this page only. These were only a couple of the players invited out by USA hockey and none of them were invited to the team. As a matter of fact they were actually talking to another athelte after the Plymouth camp as well. Not sure what happened to him or the rest. Check the birthyear I believe they are not 92's :roll:
You are referring to Matt Johnson from Stillwater. He didn't get an invite to the USNTDP or the USA U17 Select team.

You haven't mentioned any names for these "elite" players you claim are available. Afraid of sticking your foot in your mouth?
breakout

Post by breakout »

The Exiled One wrote:
2FUN wrote:Like I said they are high profile players on this page only. These were only a couple of the players invited out by USA hockey and none of them were invited to the team. As a matter of fact they were actually talking to another athelte after the Plymouth camp as well. Not sure what happened to him or the rest. Check the birthyear I believe they are not 92's :roll:
You are referring to Matt Johnson from Stillwater. He didn't get an invite to the USNTDP or the USA U17 Select team.

You haven't mentioned any names for these "elite" players you claim are available. Afraid of sticking your foot in your mouth?
I think 2FUN is either a disgruntled player or parent.

Oh well, opinions are like ................ everyone has one!
RBK26

josh Birkholz

Post by RBK26 »

congats to Josh!! Great player, deserves it!