Athletes playing Elite Hockey and Fall Football

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

sieve_33

Athletes playing Elite Hockey and Fall Football

Post by sieve_33 »

One of the biggest struggles some kids have is wether to choose to play Football for their hometown or Elite Hockey where the perks are getting better and better with scouts and ice time. Coming from a town where HS sports is the town's pride and joy, the choice is very difficult for true athletes that can play successful in both sports. Over the years we have seen more and more kids doing both. Brian McMillin, from Roseau, was one of the first that I had heard of playing a tough FB game from both sides of the ball on a Friday night, and then travel to the cities to play puck on the weekends. These kids should be comended on their determination to further there efforts in both sports. I know some FB coaches would never allow a kid to do both because of fear of injury. What do you think should happen when the option arises, is it hurting the kid by burning him out or just building character? Is it up to the FB Coach to determine the kids decision? Who are the kids playing both this fall?
HOFam'r

Re: Athletes playing Elite Hockey and Fall Football

Post by HOFam'r »

sieve_33 wrote:One of the biggest struggles some kids have is wether to choose to play Football for their hometown or Elite Hockey where the perks are getting better and better with scouts and ice time. Coming from a town where HS sports is the town's pride and joy, the choice is very difficult for true athletes that can play successful in both sports. Over the years we have seen more and more kids doing both. Brian McMillin, from Roseau, was one of the first that I had heard of playing a tough FB game from both sides of the ball on a Friday night, and then travel to the cities to play puck on the weekends. These kids should be comended on their determination to further there efforts in both sports. I know some FB coaches would never allow a kid to do both because of fear of injury. What do you think should happen when the option arises, is it hurting the kid by burning him out or just building character? Is it up to the FB Coach to determine the kids decision? Who are the kids playing both this fall?

Great question. My opinion regarding this issue is that a kid should absolutely not do both. Believe it or not a kids body can only take so much abuse and playing both sides of the ball friday night and a couple of elite games on the weekends while practicing and going to school the rest of the week is way too much.

Additionally, I don't think it's the kid who is so determined but more the parent so they can brag about their kid. Most people are completely off base and very unrealistic in their expectations. Look at CNT as his kid made Elite 1 and he thinks the kid is goin to show.

We have a guy in our Association whose kid is 4 foot nothin and 140 pounds and he thinks the kid is a Quarterback and an A hockey player...my god what color is the sky in his world.

Bottom line play football during football season and hockey during hockey season...you're a kid...you'll be alright if you miss a few hockey games...if your worried about it go shoot in the backyard it will do yah more good anyway.
Ram Hockey

Post by Ram Hockey »

I agree this is a tough call and with the way the game has changed over the years the demand to play year around has put these kids in a tough position. In small schools such as Roseau most of your best athletes are three sport athletes and because of the small enrollment each of these kids are needed to fill rosters and ultimately be respectable.

I totally understand both sides to this issue as times change and priorities do switch. There is no question that in Roseau hockey does rule and kids will follow their dream which requires a huge commitment. Whether this means focusing on hockey or doing both I guess the way I see it neither one is wrong but we need to give these kids a lot of support in making these decisions.

The Elite programs are doing what they were inteded to do in giving these kids extra games that the high school league won't provide but yet keeping them in thier high school instead of leaving for the junior ranks.

Good luck to all of you!
Last edited by Ram Hockey on Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

HOFam'r wrote:
sieve_33 wrote:One of the biggest struggles some kids have is wether to choose to play Football for their hometown or Elite Hockey where the perks are getting better and better with scouts and ice time. Coming from a town where HS sports is the town's pride and joy, the choice is very difficult for true athletes that can play successful in both sports. Over the years we have seen more and more kids doing both. Brian McMillin, from Roseau, was one of the first that I had heard of playing a tough FB game from both sides of the ball on a Friday night, and then travel to the cities to play puck on the weekends. These kids should be comended on their determination to further there efforts in both sports. I know some FB coaches would never allow a kid to do both because of fear of injury. What do you think should happen when the option arises, is it hurting the kid by burning him out or just building character? Is it up to the FB Coach to determine the kids decision? Who are the kids playing both this fall?
Great question. My opinion regarding this issue is that a kid should absolutely not do both. Believe it or not a kids body can only take so much abuse and playing both sides of the ball friday night and a couple of elite games on the weekends while practicing and going to school the rest of the week is way too much.

Additionally, I don't think it's the kid who is so determined but more the parent so they can brag about their kid. Most people are completely off base and very unrealistic in their expectations. Look at CNT as his kid made Elite 1 and he thinks the kid is goin to show.

We have a guy in our Association whose kid is 4 foot nothin and 140 pounds and he thinks the kid is a Quarterback and an A hockey player...my god what color is the sky in his world.

Bottom line play football during football season and hockey during hockey season...you're a kid...you'll be alright if you miss a few hockey games...if your worried about it go shoot in the backyard it will do yah more good anyway.

Who are you to say what the kids can and cannot take? They are all almost adults and I'm sure some of them are already. I also highly doubt that there are many parents of HS juniors and seniors that are forcing them to play both football and elite hockey just so they can brag. If a kid has fun playing hockey and football and they can juggle everything else they have going on and still find time to play both why shouldn't they?
The U invented swagger.
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Goldy Gopher wrote:
HOFam'r wrote:

Who are you to say what the kids can and cannot take? They are all almost adults and I'm sure some of them are already. I also highly doubt that there are many parents of HS juniors and seniors that are forcing them to play both football and elite hockey just so they can brag. If a kid has fun playing hockey and football and they can juggle everything else they have going on and still find time to play both why shouldn't they?
you're right goldy..who am I to say...but last time I looked this was a forum where opinions are welcomed. My opinion includes the fact that any HS kid should not be playing both...I find it ridicules to think that you can be successful at anything juggling so many balls. I also think that a body breaks down....my favorite example is old gopher running back Darryl Thompson whose promising pro career was beaten down to nothing with over 1000 Golden Goofball carries on artificial Metrodome turf. When your worn down you cannot concentrate, perform, or succeed to your potential.

Coaches in general would rather have you participate in everything under the sun...but is it to help you or help them or better yet their pocket book??? Something to think about Goldy but then again who am I to say???
GR3343

Post by GR3343 »

I'm in agreement with Goldy. I for one allow my son to make his own choices about what he does concerning sports. If he chooses to try out for a team, my job is to support him good or bad. If he chooses to play two sports, my job is again to support him, and to make sure he takes care of himself(nutrition, schoolwork, etc..) I'm a firm believer that you're only young once and the more you get to experience, the better person you become for that. Also, if you're a good enough athlete to get out there and do something(s) that you love, more power to you. The Elite systems seem to be working, people shouldn't try to over analyze and ruin it.
Around the boards

Post by Around the boards »

Wondering how, in a few short years things may have changed...in the beginning the elite league was designed to keep our top players from leaving early to play juniors and to provide our multi-sport athletes a chance to play both sports in the fall...

Does anyone know how many players with high school eligibility are playing juniors this year and if many multi-sport stars are playing in the elite league.....
sieve_33

Post by sieve_33 »

Definitely like the responses and like Ram Hockey said, both sides are accounted for. I agree and disagree with the comments. Kids these days are driving themselves to practice, signing up for there own teams, and becoming a lot more independent these days with the so many avenues they can take. Pushing your kid and being a proud parent is one thing, but forcing your child to play something at 16-17-18 years old is pretty hard to do. Every kid is going to say, hey pa I want to do that... the days of dragging your kid to follow in your footsteps is left for PeeWees and Bantams. I don't believe there is anymore than a handful of kids that are playing both sports in the fall but from what I have seen in the rosters, these kids are athletes, know what they are getting themselves into, and understand the commitment. Yea, kids are kids, but thats what I thought growing up and I have to pay to watch instead of participating.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

When my kids were in that situation I advised them that they made a commitment to their football team and that has to be honored. Same with hockey or baseball, when they were playing Legion ball they didn't go to football captains practice. There are a group of guys counting on you to be there and be as healthy as possible and it isn't fair to anyone if you get hurt doing something out of season. (I realize you can get hurt riding your bike down the street too) Part of being on a team means you're being a good teammate, not an individual.

All that said, if the kid is playing football but getting not much if any playing time why not go play Elite hockey if given the opportunity?
Last edited by goldy313 on Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hockeyxprt1

Post by hockeyxprt1 »

My little bro worked his tail off last off-season to prepare for and make the Elite league. He understands that this league offers much in the way of opportunity with scouts of all ranks, as hockey is definitely his number one sports priority. At the same time, he is serving as captain of his football team. You can see how this would really stretch a young person's body and mind.

What really ticked me off was a situation that arose surrounding the Elite camp in Brainerd this past weekend. Players were required to participate in the camp with games beginning on Friday afternoon. This was obviously a conflict for the Elite players participating in football or other fall sports. Rather then make the camp optional (at least on Friday), certain Elite league leaders decided to play hardball forcing some to choose between the two. This simply should not be. As another poster said earlier, the Elite league was supposedly designed not to interfere with fall sports.

I would be curious to hear if others experienced similar issues. The Elite league is a great place to showcase talent but at the same time there needs to be flexibility.
oldram

Elite hockey and Playing Football

Post by oldram »

I think if kids want to do both fine. I know of an athlete in our program who did both. He ended up hurting his knee in a football game. I don't know if it was from too much of both sports or what.

He made Football the priority. Which is how I feel it should be handled. I coach Baseball in the Spring. Every year I have players come to me and say they have to miss a game to play in some Elite tournament or basketball tournament. For every game they miss I bench them for that many games when they come back. Am I right or wrong? I'm not punishing them for skipping, rather I'm rewarding the kids who were there.

I don't agree with a kid who bails on Football or whatever sport he is involved as a Senior to play fall hockey. Team chemistry is built in other sports and carried over to the hockey season. Besides, I can't think of a better sport to prepare you for the physical side of hockey than football.
sieve_33

Post by sieve_33 »

OLDRAM:
Every year I have players come to me and say they have to miss a game to play in some Elite tournament or basketball tournament. For every game they miss I bench them for that many games when they come back. Am I right or wrong?
I have mixed feeling about benching a kid for missing a game. Who are you hurting? I totally agree with the comment that you are giving the kids that are there the first chance but that is why some kids that have the option to play both, only choose one. When I was younger, I played more hockey in the summer at camps and "AAA" hockey than the actual hockey season. I got sat in VFW ball, just like you do to your kids. Is it wrong? No, but is it right that the kid doesn't play because he loves two sports and wants to accel in both? No. Its a tough decision and I don't believe anyone wins. Yea, you say play baseball in baseball season and play hockey in hockey season... Summer hockey is more than just a kid wanting to do better... Playing with kids around the state givs everyone a plethora of friends that will last long after hockey is done.
oldram

Elite hockey and Playing Football

Post by oldram »

Sieve 33, would you have skipped a hockey game in the middle of hockey season to go to the metrodome to play a baseball game? Remember, these kids love both sports.

I still say it's wrong. It's a tough decision for a kid to make. Multiple sport athletes are usually the best athletes.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Fun Facts...

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

From the Great Plains team....
Micheal Lee - Roseau QB - 117 yds on 16 carries in a win. GF Herald Weekly Honor Roll
Tyler Landman - Roseau
Nick Oliver - Roseau
Jeremy Hahn - Warroad RB - 118 yds on 12 carries in a win. GF Herald Weekly Honor Roll.
Alex Christianson - EGF QB - 110 yds passing in a loss.
egf hockey1

Post by egf hockey1 »

First off, this is a very good disscussion. I am of the belief that when it is football season, it is football season. The elite leagues are designed around the cities kids that alot of the times are one sport athletes. It is great for the kids who don't play football or soccer to be able to be active in the fall. The problem is that the kids who do play football and soccer feel like they are falling behind by not playing in the elite league forcing them to play both or quit their fall sport. My brother played football with a kid that played both football and the Elite league (in a football dominated town). He ended up having nagging injuries towards the end of the year and played sparingly in the Section championship game and they lost. A lot of the blame for the lost fell on the shoulders of that kid and it carried over to the hockey season, making a very miserable hockey season. (Old Ram, I belive we are talking about the same kid by the way)

Even if a high school kid is destined for the NHL; football, soccer, baseball, etc teaches the kid leadership and flat out competition. I gaurentee a section championship game in football is more benificial to a hockey player than 100 hours of icetime.
ocanadaourhome

football or hockey

Post by ocanadaourhome »

egf hockey1 wrote:First off, this is a very good disscussion. I am of the belief that when it is football season, it is football season. The elite leagues are designed around the cities kids that alot of the times are one sport athletes. It is great for the kids who don't play football or soccer to be able to be active in the fall. The problem is that the kids who do play football and soccer feel like they are falling behind by not playing in the elite league forcing them to play both or quit their fall sport. My brother played football with a kid that played both football and the Elite league (in a football dominated town). He ended up having nagging injuries towards the end of the year and played sparingly in the Section championship game and they lost. A lot of the blame for the lost fell on the shoulders of that kid and it carried over to the hockey season, making a very miserable hockey season. (Old Ram, I belive we are talking about the same kid by the way)

Even if a high school kid is destined for the NHL; football, soccer, baseball, etc teaches the kid leadership and flat out competition. I gaurentee a section championship game in football is more benificial to a hockey player than 100 hours of icetime.
Two elite players doing both who would not give up football are Zach Budish and Anders Lee. Each played football on Friday and then their elite schedule this weekend. Last I checked Budish leads the state in tackles per game and Lee is the top ranked QB in yards passing and total offense. They also had very solid weekends on the ice. As long as the kid will honor the commitment to both sports, who are we to judge whether it is right or wrong.
gomnhky

Post by gomnhky »

Playing two sports in the fall may be doable; however, scheduling would have to have some bearing on a player's ability to play up to snuff. For example, last weekend, the Edina players that are mentioned in a previous post did have the luxury of playing in their "own back yard" and didn't have to spend a considerable amount of time driving and/or not getting a good night's sleep. This may seem petty and inconsequential assuming everyone is on the same playing field, but it appears that the boys from the North and Great Plains definitely have a lot more drive time. The concern I would have is from a scout's perspective and do they take into consideration that a player just played a football or soccer game and may not have his "A" game for that same reason. I had heard the rule of thumb was if a player was hurt/sick or whatever and did not feel they could perform up to their potential that they were better off not playing than risk playing "below par." For some players that are scouted enough and well known, this may not be as a big of deal, but for the majority that are trying to get on someone's radar, I would think this could be a factor. Just my .02...
wishock

Post by wishock »

Somehow, I can't imagine how difficult it was for the kids up north this last weekend. Playing football Friday night in Roseau, for example, and a Saturday morning game in, I believe, St. Louis Park. Roseau is a whole world away from Minneapolis, about 350 miles. Kudos to their commitment.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

My question is, is Elite league for the players, parents or scouts? The best of the best, say Budish and Ness are set. They do not need exposure, they need the junior teams and Ann Arbor to quit calling them 24/7.
mr.pucks

Post by mr.pucks »

If you are an elite hockey player, the scouts and everyone else will see it. As I see it the other sports just make you well rounded.
Play football, play soccer, play baseball, play lacrosse, (just don't play basketball, hee hee). Don't limit yourself, who knows; remember Maurer played football and basketball too, Koskie played hockey too, Randy Moss played basketball too, Jim Brown (the football player) played lacrosse too, etc, etc, etc...
fubar-errr-what

Post by fubar-errr-what »

Even if a high school kid is destined for the NHL; football, soccer, baseball, etc teaches the kid leadership and flat out competition. I gaurentee a section championship game in football is more benificial to a hockey player than 100 hours of icetime.[/quote]

highly disagree with that comment about football section championship more beneficial to a hockey player than 100 hours of icetime... ya its beneficial for the football part of it... we do live in the hockey state here...
sieve_33

Post by sieve_33 »

highly disagree with that comment about football section championship more beneficial to a hockey player than 100 hours of icetime... ya its beneficial for the football part of it... we do live in the hockey state here...
If 100 hours of ice time is going to make or break this kid, he isn't good enough in the first place. Playing through adversity and exposing kids to different situations will grow a kid tremendously. If the kid is getting scouted already, he will get his ice time. Other sports build character and turn kids into leaders. I guarantee you that M. Lee from Roseau will be that much more of a leader between the pipes this winter after coming off a strong season at quarterback on the FB field.
ocanadaourhome

Kare11 Story on Lee back to Edina.

Post by ocanadaourhome »

sieve_33 wrote:
If 100 hours of ice time is going to make or break this kid, he isn't good enough in the first place. Playing through adversity and exposing kids to different situations will grow a kid tremendously. If the kid is getting scouted already, he will get his ice time. Other sports build character and turn kids into leaders. I guarantee you that M. Lee from Roseau will be that much more of a leader between the pipes this winter after coming off a strong season at quarterback on the FB field.
Kare11 did a story on Anders Lee move back to Edina.

http://www.kare11.com/sports/prep/prep_ ... yid=264825