Phantom Elite League Points

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

breakout

Phantom Elite League Points

Post by breakout » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:20 pm

For those that are watching Elite League games, are you seeing any young men claiming points they have not earned?

Any or a lot of selfish play?

Or, are you seeing great hockey every weekend?

elliott70

Re: Phantom Elite League Points

Post by elliott70 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:22 pm

breakout wrote:For those that are watching Elite League games, are you seeing any young men claiming points they have not earned?

Any or a lot of selfish play?

Or, are you seeing great hockey every weekend?

Scorekeepers are told not to take any scoring except from officials.
At least back a couple of years.
At that time there were only a few of us allowed to make changes.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:53 pm

I have not noticed any phantom points. I have seen some selfish play at times though. Especially in a blowout as everyone tries to pad their stats.

MNscout72

Post by MNscout72 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Phantom points will always occur once in awhile, the refs job at seeing who does what is'nt always perfect. I remeber when my kid played high school, i would notice extra points here and there on the star tribune on my son's team and wonder how they did it, when they never were on the ice together. But besides the fact i havent really noticed phantom points in the Elite games. It seems that the box keepers and coaches know when to fix things when they are wrong.

Hockeyguy_27

Post by Hockeyguy_27 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:09 am

MNscout72 wrote:Phantom points will always occur once in awhile, the refs job at seeing who does what is'nt always perfect. I remeber when my kid played high school, i would notice extra points here and there on the star tribune on my son's team and wonder how they did it, when they never were on the ice together. But besides the fact i havent really noticed phantom points in the Elite games. It seems that the box keepers and coaches know when to fix things when they are wrong.
Is Pat Micheletti coaching one of these teams? :o

breakout

Post by breakout » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:36 am

It seems that in hockey, 1st and 2nd assists are not always picked up by the refs. Often times they count on the players to chime in. I have seen players in youth hockey and high school hockey approach refs and claim 1st and 2nd assists when there was no way they earned them.

Just curious if some players (bubble types) seeking D1 deals will hedge. I am guessing some will make false claims. Maybe I am wrong.

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:36 am

breakout wrote:It seems that in hockey, 1st and 2nd assists are not always picked up by the refs. Often times they count on the players to chime in. I have seen players in youth hockey and high school hockey approach refs and claim 1st and 2nd assists when there was no way they earned them.

Just curious if some players (bubble types) seeking D1 deals will hedge. I am guessing some will make false claims. Maybe I am wrong.
I see it all the time too in youth and High school hockey and I can't see why ANY league would be any different. When points are what 90 percent of the people look at to determine the quality of player, unearned assists are inevitable.

hockiepuck

Post by hockiepuck » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:19 pm

breakout wrote:It seems that in hockey, 1st and 2nd assists are not always picked up by the refs. Often times they count on the players to chime in. I have seen players in youth hockey and high school hockey approach refs and claim 1st and 2nd assists when there was no way they earned them.

It happens all the time in HS Hockey.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:32 pm

My guess is that the scouts are smart enough to know that stats aren't everything. They look at a lot of things other then just a players stats.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:02 pm

pioneers wrote:My guess is that the scouts are smart enough to know that stats aren't everything. They look at a lot of things other then just a players stats.
I agree they should, and I think for the most part they do...but don't kid yourself, stats is what gets most on the radar in the 1st place.
I couldn't agree more that the best stat is +/-...did the line your on score.. or did it get scored on.

Every team needs those grinders that muck things up and create opportunities. They usually don't have the stats to get them there though.

8)

HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:08 pm

I know it happens and have seen parents lobbying at the Elite level...I can tell you that many scouts will base any decision they make on player because he has more points then another..too many varibles...especially in HS Hockey...I saw a kid take a point from my kid last year and never said a peep...figured if it was that important to him and if the coach was oblivious to it...then why complain...Not that I am the total package of class...I must admit I was pissed and wanted to tell that kid a thing or two...

Additionally, if I think about it, I understand how important it is in Hockey to have unselfish linemates...I have seen many kids from my hometown that I would classify as selfish...however, it appears that I am the only one who thinks so because I never see the coaches getting on their case??

Hence, I have my own view that may or may not be shared by others-

A player appears selfish when-

1.) He continually misses opportunities with linemates
* Many people can say "I didn't see him" or 'he skates with his head down" but after 5 to ten missed opportunities you can classify a guy as selfish.

2.) Doesn't listen to solid coaching telling him to move the puck
* You'll see at least once a game where a kid does not head man the puck to another...and there are some legit excuses...however, every team's 1st and 2nd liners should be equal enough players to be able to make plays correctly...even if one is more talented....never have I seen a coach with guts enough to sit a stud for making a selfish play...I have seen coaches tell kids "we'd rather have the puck on your stick'...well sorry I am not a believer in that...a kid needs to know go...and he also needs to know no...the good ones know both.

3.) Always needs to be first in line:
* can tell yah right now 95% percent of the time these are the kids who end up selfish.

4.) Cheats in drills to be first/or win a race
* tell tail sign of a kid whose going to have character issues later.

5.) Has coach that promotes Selfishness:

* usually 4 or 5 guys will end up totally absorbed in theirselves when this happens.

Remember THESE ARE MY VIEWS...might not be yours but at least it might make a couple nuts think before telling Junior to push their way to the front of the line.

flatontheice

Post by flatontheice » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:49 am

HOFam'r:

Very well put.

toedrag21

Phantom elite league points

Post by toedrag21 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:12 pm

HOFam'r, great job. Please email that to Let's Play Hockey mag. and all the High School coaches in Minnesota. Put on top "Warning every team has one or two players that fit this discription".

Can't Never Tried

Re: Phantom elite league points

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:13 pm

toedrag21 wrote:HOFam'r, great job. Please email that to Let's Play Hockey mag. and all the High School coaches in Minnesota. Put on top "Warning every team has one or two players that fit this discription".
:lol: :lol:

HOFam'r

Re: Phantom elite league points

Post by HOFam'r » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:16 am

Can't Never Tried wrote:
toedrag21 wrote:HOFam'r, great job. Please email that to Let's Play Hockey mag. and all the High School coaches in Minnesota. Put on top "Warning every team has one or two players that fit this discription".
:lol: :lol:
CNT sure you want to go there? LOL...seen Jensen play football the other night...nice player...