Okay I was wrong. Schwann's Brackets are released

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

hockeygod wrote:
HOFam'r wrote:LIke I said...sure to raise a Hornet's nest.

HockeyGod- i am not bitter and certainly not crusty...However, I am realistic...go ahead and convince me what a wonderful team enviroment Hill produces...tell me how there is no bickering amounst parents and tell me that Hill parents are more concerned with little Jimmy's math grades then they are with his scoring totals.

packerboy- nine titles and 1 in the last two decades...times change packerboy...get a grip...you just have an fascination with green and gold

Nuet: no picture?? I suggest you stick with pics (sure to get one now)

CNT/RL- figured it wouldn't take you 2 guru's to jump in...must be another slow day in the cube CNT...

Theres always some bickering with the parents, I have yet to see a team where there isn't a little bickering. As for grades, they are more important to most parents at Hill than how many goals there kid scores. Most Hill parents have their kids at that school because they want there child to be a success in life at whatever they choose to do and hockey is just a part of some students life.

The biggest difference I see between the privates and the public schools is in the privates you won't be held back by bad teaching or coaching, you are allowed to go as far as your skills will take you...this isn't always the case at some public schools.
HG- There is also good at every association...in a nutshell I think competition and arrogance have gotten out of control. Instead of spending millions in this state concentrating on developing a faster, more skilled player...maybe some associations should take the time and resources to develop the person inside all that gear???
"Be a teammate first"
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

HOFam'r wrote:maybe some associations should take the time and resources to develop the person inside all that gear???
Isn't that the the parent or family's responsibility :?
We as families have enough intrusion in our lives today IMO.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

HOF wrote:
PB...I think you said what has changed best...3 in 80's, 1 in 90's and 0 in 2000's...pretty much covers it...

Only one school has done better. That pretty much covers it.
Govs93

Post by Govs93 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
HOFam'r wrote:maybe some associations should take the time and resources to develop the person inside all that gear???
Correct.

HOF seems to be pointing the finger at everybody else, but missing the root cause. If you're worried about perceived "arrogance", shouldn't the parents be the ones to reign that in? Maybe it's the parents fostering an environment where that's ok, so the kids take it to the ice.

Humilty starts at home. So does finger pointing.
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Govs93 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Correct.

HOF seems to be pointing the finger at everybody else, but missing the root cause. If you're worried about perceived "arrogance", shouldn't the parents be the ones to reign that in? Maybe it's the parents fostering an environment where that's ok, so the kids take it to the ice.

Humilty starts at home. So does finger pointing.
Not pointing fingers or calling for intrusion...especially into CNT's life.

I am saying that instead of hanging a 'code of ethics' on a remote wall in a rink...maybe video of parents making a horses rear out of themselves should be played at the parent meeting? Maybe CNT could use his home video collection...LOL...Just kidding CNT i am sure you are a very respectable person...outside of hockey...

Of all the money spent on Hockey nearly zero goes to behavior education...whatever happened to being a good sport?
"Be a teammate first"
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

packerboy wrote:HOF wrote:
PB...I think you said what has changed best...3 in 80's, 1 in 90's and 0 in 2000's...pretty much covers it...

Only one school has done better. That pretty much covers it.
sheesh packerboy 1 title in 20 years...think alot have done better...
"Be a teammate first"
Can't Never Tried

HOFam'r wrote:Of all the money spent on Hockey nearly zero goes to behavior education...
Why should it? it's hockey not treatment.
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
HOFam'r wrote:Of all the money spent on Hockey nearly zero goes to behavior education...
And Famer already knows how much treatment costs.....
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

sheesh HOF, they won in '88 and '97.

But the big number is still 9 total.

Nobody can top it. Nothing changes there.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Silent But Deadly »

Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Neut...I think I read it takes at least 1000 posts before you're required to receive treatment.... :lol:
Can't Never Tried

Silent But Deadly wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Neut...I think I read it takes at least 1000 posts before you're required to receive treatment.... :lol:
Are you adding all the users together from mission control :lol:
Then your over 1000 :P
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Two sides to every coin CNT...Your side is normally rusty from all the JD you've spilled on it...

I know big picture stuff is beyond you and your pleathera of board names...however, I think I will try to teach or if you prefer learn you something. The deal is...Hockey needs to elevate itself from the perception of a fight riddled, blood bath sport only one minor step a head of Professional Wrestling. Hockey players need to be able to display their skill and in the end their sportsmanship. So CNT in my opinion players in a sense have lost respect for the game and replaced it with individual selfishness and arrogance.

By establishing some real training about the game and how to conduct yourself as a player and a parent would be beneficial to the individual player and the game. Teach kids about being competitive and tough and not a selfish individual. Teach parents to root for their team and not just their kid and to quit putting unrealistic expectations on their kid. Make the training real and interesting and it's money well spent...

but I am sure CNT your out eyeballing another $200 stick for Junior...when what's really important is enjoying the game and your time in it...more people need to understand that....

With that said, the game will need to grow and to do that more kids will need to play..which in turn means more families will need a positive brand impression of the game on a youth level.

CNT and friends...hope this learned yah somethin...
"Be a teammate first"
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Silent But Deadly wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
CNT...better call LEE in to shut down the thread...dang you're powerful...
"Be a teammate first"
Can't Never Tried

HOFam'r wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Silent But Deadly wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Hello? Hello? ImageYou there Lee?? :lol: :lol:
HOF you crack me up.....you remind me of one of those suicide bomber cats.....complete with 9 lives.....ya just keep blowing yourself and threads up over and over for no reason..just try to have peaceful a discussion....geezzzzz!!
Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 »

Silent But Deadly wrote: Neut...I think I read it takes at least 1000 posts before you're required to receive treatment.... :lol:
Touche'
The only soft spot I see is the one between my legs
HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r »

Can't Never Tried wrote:
HOFam'r wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
Silent But Deadly wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

Hello? Hello? ImageYou there Lee?? :lol: :lol:
HOF you crack me up.....you remind me of one of those suicide bomber cats.....complete with 9 lives.....ya just keep blowing yourself and threads up over and over for no reason..just try to have peaceful a discussion....geezzzzz!!

Okay CNT...Cease Fire for now...but things may change when season starts...
"Be a teammate first"
O-townClown

Edina - pattern of success

Post by O-townClown »

Regarding Edina's pattern of success:

Several titles in the 1970s - all Edina East: Edina enjoyed a substantial advantage over other communities because Braemar was one of the first indoor rinks. There was a time when all Lake games were played there. The teams Ikola coached were the result of strong youth programs in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Three titles in the 1980s - 1982, 1984, 1988: Due to declining enrollment, the schools merged to form one Edina. This helped tremendously. Edina West went to state with a #1 team in '81, but Columbia Heights and Reggie Miracle upset them on Thursday. The next year a combined school greased White Bear Mariner in the final 6-0. Take any two very good HS programs and combine them and you'll have an awfully good team. Strong youth program + affluent area + combined school (numbers) = excellent HS teams. 1986 was #1 entering sectionals and lost in the semis when Damian Rhodes, who went on to play a decade in the NHL, stopped about 50. It could easily have been 4, although Hill-Murray and eventual champs Burnsville were roughly the equal of those Hornets.

Only one in the 1990s: Enrollment took a turn down and other areas were riding high with the same formula. Strong youth program + affluence + combined school/numbers. Eden Prairie was a growing community and West Bloomington was mature. With the closure of Lincoln High they were on a roll.

None in this decade: Edina has had its struggles. However, the schools are full again and it leads to bigger numbers for the HS. Also, the trend of losing their top player to the USHL or NTDP has reversed and their best players are at home. This crop of kids could easily win one, or even two titles.

I don't think the lack of recent state championships is a result of team disharmony or whatever the original post implied. There are other demographic and economic forces at work.

My $.02.
hockeyrocks

Post by hockeyrocks »

No question. Edina has an outstanding program and should be the odds on favorite to win the title. Great goalie, solid D and a deep group of exceptional team oriented forwards. The :evil: Cakeeaters :twisted: will probably win two in a row if Buddish stays next year.
ACTUALFORMERPLAYER

Re: Edina - pattern of success

Post by ACTUALFORMERPLAYER »

O-townClown wrote:Regarding Edina's pattern of success:

Several titles in the 1970s - all Edina East: Edina enjoyed a substantial advantage over other communities because Braemar was one of the first indoor rinks. There was a time when all Lake games were played there. The teams Ikola coached were the result of strong youth programs in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Three titles in the 1980s - 1982, 1984, 1988: Due to declining enrollment, the schools merged to form one Edina. This helped tremendously. Edina West went to state with a #1 team in '81, but Columbia Heights and Reggie Miracle upset them on Thursday. The next year a combined school greased White Bear Mariner in the final 6-0. Take any two very good HS programs and combine them and you'll have an awfully good team. Strong youth program + affluent area + combined school (numbers) = excellent HS teams. 1986 was #1 entering sectionals and lost in the semis when Damian Rhodes, who went on to play a decade in the NHL, stopped about 50. It could easily have been 4, although Hill-Murray and eventual champs Burnsville were roughly the equal of those Hornets.

Only one in the 1990s: Enrollment took a turn down and other areas were riding high with the same formula. Strong youth program + affluence + combined school/numbers. Eden Prairie was a growing community and West Bloomington was mature. With the closure of Lincoln High they were on a roll.

None in this decade: Edina has had its struggles. However, the schools are full again and it leads to bigger numbers for the HS. Also, the trend of losing their top player to the USHL or NTDP has reversed and their best players are at home. This crop of kids could easily win one, or even two titles.

I don't think the lack of recent state championships is a result of team disharmony or whatever the original post implied. There are other demographic and economic forces at work.

My $.02.
What about genetics?
O-townClown

genetics

Post by O-townClown »

What about them?