Larson Resigns?

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Goldy Gopher

Larson Resigns?

Post by Goldy Gopher »

The U invented swagger.
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

Goldy,

I wouldn't exactly call it a resignation. Not many details are known on this but I have heard bits and pieces but I'm not about to start any rumors over this medium.
"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
juniorhockey

resigns

Post by juniorhockey »

The thing that strikes me as interesting is how they had to switch the locks on the doors? Must have been a bad split.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

George Blanda wrote:Goldy,

I wouldn't exactly call it a resignation. Not many details are known on this but I have heard bits and pieces but I'm not about to start any rumors over this medium.
The way it was originally explained to me, it sounded like a resignation but I don't really think that was the case either. I'm looking forward to the actual story coming out.
The U invented swagger.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

OK, it's been a while.. what's the latest? Is Larson still in the area? What's the latest version of why it happened?
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Blue&Gold wrote:OK, it's been a while.. what's the latest? Is Larson still in the area? What's the latest version of why it happened?
No new news that I could find.
The U invented swagger.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Blue&Gold wrote:OK, it's been a while.. what's the latest? Is Larson still in the area? What's the latest version of why it happened?
I heard he is not around. Some of the players where trying to get in touch with him and couldn't. I also heard that the MAC changed all the locks, not just the locker room. Third hand info on the locks situation.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

It's all too bad. I've known most of the people involved, and like them all. Whatever Craig ends up doing, I hope the best for him.

My biggest concern here is for the program. Making the step up to Junior A, Tier III is more than just name. The success of the move overall is dependant upon all of the teams being successful. More directly, I hope that St. Cloud can support this level of hockey as I think it's good for the players in central MN that aren't quite ready to move to the NAHL, but with some work they may make it. The Hall family needs to get this under control and run it like a business, then there will be success.

One more thing to add: Someone in the program needs to treat the team as a full-time position. They need a full-time coach, in my opinion.

Good luck to all!
aflac

Post by aflac »

They don't have full time coach?
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

What I meant by that is a coach that can be available full-time. They have a head coach, but he has a "real job" that does take up his time. Can a team like this afford a full-time position? I don't know. I think about what it would take to get someone full-time, and it is probably more than expected.

That's why most coaches in the NAHL and USHL are Coach/GM. That way they get two positions for the price of one. It also makes the coaches more responsible of the day-to-day operations. A tier III team that is lucky to get 350 paying folks in the seats probably isn't pulling it all that much. By the same token, the players to pay to play, so maybe they can pull it off.
aflac

Post by aflac »

If I am a player I would want my coach around all the time. I am not sure but are all the coaches in this league have full time jobs?
George Blanda

Post by George Blanda »

"they are LAME" -darkdemon on SJU hockey
ap4mvp

Post by ap4mvp »

:-k Maybe the Hall family is hard to work for :?: :idea: Blanda you should coach the Lumberjacks :lol:
If you only knew the power of the dark side!
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

I believe i heart Brent something (former cathedral coach) would be the coach. i am not positive though.
BB
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Bash Brother wrote:I believe i heart Brent something (former cathedral coach) would be the coach. i am not positive though.
The Jacks website has Brent Boerger listed as a scout.

Interestingly enough it doesn't have a head coach or any assistant coaches listed. Just the goalie coach, Jeff Bandar.
The U invented swagger.
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Bash Brother wrote:I believe i heart Brent something (former cathedral coach) would be the coach. i am not positive though.
Did you read the article? You must not have read it because it says, and I quote "Hall’s decision to fire his coaching staff and replace them for Friday’s game with Brent Boerger, a former head coach of the boys hockey program at St. Cloud Cathedral High School". Seems pretty clear who is coaching.
Stabbin31

Post by Stabbin31 »

Thanks Alex
Bash Brother

Post by Bash Brother »

RLStars wrote:
Did you read the article? You must not have read it because it says, and I quote "Hall’s decision to fire his coaching staff and replace them for Friday’s game with Brent Boerger, a former head coach of the boys hockey program at St. Cloud Cathedral High School". Seems pretty clear who is coaching.
No i did not read the article. I talked to Brent on friday night before the game.
BB
RLStars

Post by RLStars »

Bash Brother wrote:
RLStars wrote:
No i did not read the article. I talked to Brent on friday night before the game.
When you get the official word, post it. After rereading the article, it doesn't say he would be the permanent coach........well as permanent as a Lumberjacks coach can be.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

I would say that any "Official" statement will show up on the web page. I believe that the team is looking for a long term solution, and Brent is "probably" a short term solution. (maybe this season?) Boerger has a young family and I can't see him doing this past this season.. but I've been wrong before... :P
crash

Post by crash »

I don't think ANYONE would last with that group in St. Cloud. My guess is after this year they are done, it's been a way for John Hall to relive his high school glorydays, it's a mess and it needs to be shot and burried.

Too bad too, a REAL team in St. Cloud could make for some fun games at the MAC. I love the fries at the MAC, fries and beer and Jr. Hockey! Where do I sign?
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

crash wrote:I don't think ANYONE would last with that group in St. Cloud. My guess is after this year they are done, it's been a way for John Hall to relive his high school glorydays, it's a mess and it needs to be shot and burried.

Too bad too, a REAL team in St. Cloud could make for some fun games at the MAC. I love the fries at the MAC, fries and beer and Jr. Hockey! Where do I sign?
Well now Crash, what do you define as a "real team"? The Jacks are one of the top teams in their league right now. They seem to be playing good hockey and doing quite well for themselves. So what would you suggest as a "real team"? I really doubt that an NAHL team would draw any better. There is NO WAY this down would support a USHL program. There are 5 pretty good high school programs (boys) and three girls high school teams, 2 D1 College programs (1 men, 1 women), 2 DIII programs (1 each again) and of course 3 solid youth hockey programs. The only big draws are SCSU men, and the Tech/Apollo boys games. This really is not a hockey town, and there is too much at the top to draw from for fans to go the junior games where they really don't know anybody on the ice.. (couple of exceptions, I know)

John Hall has tried to bring some good junior hockey back to St. Cloud. Unless you're willing to pony-up some serious coin to try to do it better, I think the "past glory" statement is out of line.. I give him credit for stepping out and really trying. I wish I had the guts to step out like that..