Greatest Games in Tourney history?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

mnhockey9009

Post by mnhockey9009 »

Lopresti, I have to agree. Welch scoring with less then a second left Ibelieve, after scoring with 45 seconds left. Good shift I guess.
If you look good, you play good.
SB24

Post by SB24 »

yea roseua had to play woodbury and rochester century thats what the big schools have to go through!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Well SB24 , would you say that Albert Lea and Shakopee are pretty much the same as Rochester and Woodbury?

Would you also say that Roseau beating Moorhead to get there is pretty much the same as Warroad beating LOW or TRF?
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

packerboy wrote:Well SB24 , Would you also say that Roseau beating Moorhead to get there is pretty much the same as Warroad beating LOW or TRF?
Ouch I think I heard a bone break, I think I'd call that an Atomic Power Drop just like Captain Insano....Game, Set and MATCH to Packerboy. :lol:
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

packerboy wrote:Well SB24 , would you say that Albert Lea and Shakopee are pretty much the same as Rochester and Woodbury?

Would you also say that Roseau beating Moorhead to get there is pretty much the same as Warroad beating LOW or TRF?

1/16/07 Score: Moorhead Spuds 2 TRF Prowlers 2

AY 8)
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

Where I heard the bone snap was with the LOW part of the comment. :P

Could toss in the tough road through Kittson Central and Park Rapids for WHS. But there again Roseau gets the likes of River Lakes or Monticello in their first round match-ups. :roll:

Back to the topic....I like Karl Goehring's performance in the AP vs DE game.

Couple of heartbreakers for me were the 71 (first time I ever watched a HS hockey game on TV) , 77 & 78 Ram losses to Edina and the pipe Danny Marvin hit in OT against Edina. Seems to be a reoccuring theme....Edina has provided more schools with heartbreaking losses in the State Tourney than any other.
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

AngusYoung wrote:
packerboy wrote:Well SB24 , would you say that Albert Lea and Shakopee are pretty much the same as Rochester and Woodbury?

AY 8)
AY, when that score is posted in sectional play, let us know. Otherwise, insignificant. But that s the typical Class A response. "Well, ya know, we beat a AA school once in December." Great.

Opt up or opt out. Its that simple. Are we clear?
lxhockey

Post by lxhockey »

1970 in the State semifinals - Johnson vs Edina. This game set a few state records which of course have since been broken (but it took a while).
Included were most overtime periods and most saves by Johnson's goalie Doug Long.

Les Auge was on that team and we know his hockey future. Whatever happened to Doug Long?
slapnasty

Post by slapnasty »

Around 2002 or 2003 Warroad vs Simley in the semi-finals. Simley was the cinderella team with their hot goalie davenport score ended 3-2 that was a fun game!
SB24

Post by SB24 »

packerboy wrote:
Well SB24 , would you say that Albert Lea and Shakopee are pretty much the same as Rochester and Woodbury?
Well i dont really know what Shakopee has to do with anything. Warroad played STA and Albert Lea. i would say STA is better then Rochester and Woodbury. This year a Albert lea team nowhere near as good as they were in 2005 lost to Rochester by one goal. So no i wouldnt say they are about the same i would say they are worse.
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
AngusYoung

Post by AngusYoung »

packerboy wrote:
AngusYoung wrote:

AY 8)
AY, when that score is posted in sectional play, let us know. Otherwise, insignificant. But that s the typical Class A response. "Well, ya know, we beat a AA school once in December." Great.

Opt up or opt out. Its that simple. Are we clear?
Crystal - @ least as far as your delusional view of things. Refer to the thread title - not sure how the A vs AA debate has anything to do with this. Are we clear, Atta(hijacker)?

AY 8)
slapnasty

Post by slapnasty »

Im confused because you guys are talking about how Woodbury and Century arent anything special when they both beat Hill-Murray at state this year.
BIAFP

Post by BIAFP »

slapnasty wrote:Im confused because you guys are talking about how Woodbury and Century arent anything special when they both beat Hill-Murray at state this year.

And your point is?
EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack »

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls
slapnasty

Post by slapnasty »

Thanks Empire
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

AY wrote:
Refer to the thread title - not sure how the A vs AA debate has anything to do with this. Are we clear, Atta(hijacker)?

AY

Crystal.
Somebody mentioned an A game as being one of the greatest. BIAFP objected on the grounds that no A game could possibly be one of the greatest.

I sustained his objection.
Last edited by packerboy on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
rams1989

Post by rams1989 »

Although I'm not a fan of either program, Edina beating Warroad in the 1987 semi's was one of the best games I have ever seen in person. (Or was it 1988, I don't remember.) What I do remember correctly, Warroad had been undefeated and ranked #1 at the time. Everyone in the rink was chearing for Warroad, except of course for a few of us who didn't want either team to win!
carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy »

A few games stick out for me:

70's
Edina East over Grand Rapids 5-4 in 2 overtimes

80's
Burnsville over Hill Murray 4-3

90's
The greatest game ever Apple Valley over Duluth East in multiple OT's
toomanystitches

Post by toomanystitches »

[quote="MNRinkRat"]D. East and Apple Valley 1996 semi-finals, easily the best game in tourney history.[/quote]

One of the most exciting and fun games I've ever watched.
OGEE OGELTHORPE

Post by OGEE OGELTHORPE »

My top 3
2000 A finals- Breck 3 Warroad 2
2004 A qrts- Orono 2 Warroad 1 o.t.
2007 A semi's Hermantown 4 Warroad 3
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

rams1989 wrote:Although I'm not a fan of either program, Edina beating Warroad in the 1987 semi's was one of the best games I have ever seen in person. (Or was it 1988, I don't remember.) What I do remember correctly, Warroad had been undefeated and ranked #1 at the time. Everyone in the rink was chearing for Warroad, except of course for a few of us who didn't want either team to win!

Warroad's only goal was offsides by 10 feet. They were thoroughly outplayed that game...