Captain's Practice

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HOFam'r

Captain's Practice

Post by HOFam'r » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:42 pm

Been reading about captains practice starting. Pardon my ignorance (not you CNT) but when does this normally start? Is there any rules pertaining to when it starts? Why do some start so early and some like Buffalo start later?

RLStars

Re: Captain's Practice

Post by RLStars » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:09 pm

HOFam'r wrote:Been reading about captains practice starting. Pardon my ignorance (not you CNT) but when does this normally start? Is there any rules pertaining to when it starts? Why do some start so early and some like Buffalo start later?
I think it depends if they have all the crops harvested yet? :lol: :lol:

I don't think there are any rules about when they can start.

I know that in the past, the coaches could not be present, or even in the building will the players were there. I've heard that rule has changed, but I'm not sure about that. My kid has been skating at captains practice (no Famer, not for River Lakes, crops are not out yet) for a few weeks.

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:21 pm

From the MSHSL by-laws:

E. Participation in Captains Practice: Captains Practice is primarily for the purpose of physical conditioning organized and conducted by the students. Students may participate in Captains Practice provided that salaried or non-salaried school personnel are not involved in any capacity. It is the responsibility of school officials to become aware of the preseason activities in their school district and to insure that the spirit and intent of the League rules are observed.

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:44 pm

RLStars wrote:From the MSHSL by-laws:

E. Participation in Captains Practice: Captains Practice is primarily for the purpose of physical conditioning organized and conducted by the students. Students may participate in Captains Practice provided that salaried or non-salaried school personnel are not involved in any capacity. It is the responsibility of school officials to become aware of the preseason activities in their school district and to insure that the spirit and intent of the League rules are observed.
So pretty much no one affiliated with the school can be present?
The U invented swagger.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:54 pm

Goldy Gopher wrote:

Pretty much.....but being present and involved are 2 different things the latter is what the intent is...I mean if they happen to be in the building because of another reason what can you do.
It's basically saying no coach involvment in the practices or team activities.
I don't think it's been a big problem..

8)

Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:57 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Goldy Gopher wrote:

Pretty much.....but being present and involved are 2 different things the latter is what the intent is...I mean if they happen to be in the building because of another reason what can you do.
It's basically saying no coach involvment in the practices or team activities.
I don't think it's been a big problem..

Thanks for the clarification

8)
The U invented swagger.

puckeyone

Post by puckeyone » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:14 pm

Famer, I thought since the Bison are out there triing to be the leed that they would be doing this already, must not be in touch with the rest of metro teams you want to be like .

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:45 pm

Both Richfield and AHA have had practices already. AHA has at least one parent there as a representative and he keeps track the time and making sure the kids are in line. Richfield has only had one I think, but they looked pretty good. A good turnout with some good play.

tomASS

Post by tomASS » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 pm

I think captain's practice is, or should be, becoming a thing of the past.

What need is it really fulfilling with all the other hockey being played prior and up to the start of tryouts.

I know for our HS soccer team the period captain's practice can take place falls in the short 2 week window after club soccer has stopped and before tryouts begin. We tell our players to take the time off and re-energize
fighting all who rob or plunder

HOFam'r

Post by HOFam'r » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:16 am

Zamman wrote:Both Richfield and AHA have had practices already. AHA has at least one parent there as a representative and he keeps track the time and making sure the kids are in line. Richfield has only had one I think, but they looked pretty good. A good turnout with some good play.
Does everyone pay to participate in Captains Practice?

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:20 pm

Why don't they just call it open hockey, where the seniors beat up the underclassmen?

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Reality Check wrote:Why don't they just call it open hockey, where the seniors beat up the underclassmen?
Actually that's what they call it in Rogers, they just limit the level to HS.

And yes as far as I know each kid pays to skate.
I've never heard of it any other way.....but maybe someone else has heard different.

8)

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
Reality Check wrote:Why don't they just call it open hockey, where the seniors beat up the underclassmen?

I've never heard of it any other way.....but maybe someone else has heard different.

8)
Depends how much money the booster club raises.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:52 pm

RLStars wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

8)
True............ I guess ours was not enough :(
Forgot about the good old boosters!

8)

RLStars

Post by RLStars » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:06 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
RLStars wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:

8)
True............ I guess ours was not enough :(
Forgot about the good old boosters!

8)
For you, captains practice starts to early. The boosters crops are just starting to get harvasted and brought to market :lol: :lol:

sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:56 am

Can't Never Tried wrote:

8)
J. Hansens group as sophmores of WBL played sophmores vs. juniors and seniors and won. :roll:

WarroadWarrior

Post by WarroadWarrior » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:27 pm

Don't ask me why...but for as long as i've been breathing in warroad its called "copper kings" and since the invent of girls hockey "copper queens"

tpshockey30

Post by tpshockey30 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:35 pm

at our arena, its called open hockey ( but only for HS and bantams, if they have the bawls for it)! o ours is free as well started on monday of last week, and basically we scrimmage the whole time, no practicing, just good ol' uper classmen harasment! I mean, isnt that what HS sports are really like! ahaha, so yea there you go....

If your not first... your last, peace