nick pryor is back

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Pucknutz69

Re: pryor

Post by Pucknutz69 »

RLStars wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
RLStars wrote: Then he didn't have a change of residency. The parents have to change residency and if they already live in the HM area (which ever public schools boundary they must use) they can't move across the street to have a new residency in that area.
Hill, like its biggest fan Sparlimb, has no boundaries. :lol: Its my understanding that they can literally move across the street. This apparently, will be one of the initial tests of the new rule. Its foolish for the parents to have to move, because their son enrolled in Ann Arbors program to play for team USA. To require them to move "across the street" for him to return, wasn't the spirit nor intent of the rule in the first place. Let him play...
They CAN NOT move across the street. From the MSHSL website:

BOARD POLICY DEFINITIONS:

1.Change of Residence
A change of residence is the actual physical relocation by the parents or guardians of a student with the intent to reside indefinitely at a new residence and terminate all occupancy of a previous residence. The change in residence must be bona fide, include other minor siblings and involve transfer from one school district attendance area to another school district attendance area.

For purposes of eligibility determinations, the residence of a student shall be the bona fide location of the residence and must include occupancy by the students’ parents or guardians in the public school attendance area. Both parents, except as otherwise provide herein, must physically reside at the residence on a regular basis for the duration of the student’s enrollment.

If married, residence is determined by the bona fide residence where the student and the student’s spouse actually reside.

In determining whether a change in residence is bona fide, a member school and the League may consider:
A. New mailing address of the parents or guardians
B. Voting registration of parents or guardians that coincides with the new residence
C. Driver’s license registration that coincides with the new residence
D. Purchase or rental agreements
E. Any other reliable evidence of residency

2. Residence
For purposes of eligibility, a student may only have one residence. To determine residence for eligibility purposes, the public school district attendance area in which the home last occupied by both parents is located shall be considered as the family’s residence.

3. Emancipated Student
If emancipated, a student’s residence is determined by the bona fide residence where the student actually resides.

An emancipated student is one who:
A. has been a resident of the state of Minnesota for at least one full calendar year immediately preceding the date in question, and
B. is totally self-supporting. Criteria to determine if a student is self-supporting may include, but is not limited to:
1) a notarized statement from the parent(s) or guardian(s) that they provide none of the student’s support;
2) verification of employment or other means of financial support from the student’s employer or supporting agency;
3) verification of rent payment by the student
4) verification from a school that the student is accepted to attend as a resident student on the grounds of being emancipated.
5) any other documentation requested by the Minnesota State High School League or member school

4. Good Standing
For purposes of this bylaw, the term “good standing” shall mean that on the official date of withdrawal from the last school attended the student was fully eligible at that school under all of the conditions and all of the eligibility requirements of that school as well as the eligibility requirements of the state activity association of which that school is a member.

5. Guardianship
For purposes of this bylaw, guardianship shall not be accepted for the purpose of establishing the residence of a student except when the guardianship has been established pursuant to a child protection order placement in a foster home or a juvenile court disposition order.

6. High School
A high school shall include grades 9 through 12.

7. Parents
For purposes of this bylaw, parents shall mean both parents of the student. In the event of divorce, parent shall be the parent with legal and physical custody of the student. In the case of a child protection order, parent shall mean the facility assigned by a court pursuant to a child protection order, foster home placement or juvenile court disposition order.

8. Public School District Attendance Area
The term “public school district attendance area” shall be understood to refer to the area assigned to a specific high school by a Board of Education and shall not refer to a school district except in cases in which only one high school exists in a school district.

9. Transfer Student
A transfer student is one who discontinues enrollment and attendance in any high school, public or non-public, located in a public school district attendance area and enrolls and attends classes in any other high school in Minnesota.

It is also my understanding that "Private "schools will have a defined district area that is the same as the public school district area that the private school district is in.

In his case he could move across the street, the area of Woodbury he lives in one corner is Woodbury , the kid across the street is Tartan and the kid on the otherside is Stillwater. He would be moving to a different school district.

I agree with Neutron, Let him Play.
Poolside

It's about time the new rules were challenged.

Post by Poolside »

There are so many gray areas in the new rules that mainly affect hockey. This is one of them. I agree. Let the kid play. Don't make the parents jump through hoops just to prove a point. I'm sure they'll buy a different house if that's what it comes down to (if this whole story is true), but they shouldn't have to. The kid tried something out, decided it wasn't for him and now wants to come back and be with his friends.

Another area needing clarification---split seasons. Lets say a kid is offered an opportunity as a junior to play with the Express or Blizzards (MN teams) after his junior year, but due to distance, moves in with a billet for the spring. Can he come back his senior year to his high school team? Can he do a before an after his senior year assuming his classes all transfer mid semester?

How does the rule affect split seasons with out of state teams if the player lives with a billet? I assume most just fly/drive in just for games, but for those who choose to live with a billet and practice daily with the team, this rule causes many problems.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the rule to close some loopholes and offer clarification.
suntzu

Re: It's about time the new rules were challenged.

Post by suntzu »

Poolside wrote:There are so many gray areas in the new rules that mainly affect hockey. This is one of them. I agree. Let the kid play. Don't make the parents jump through hoops just to prove a point. I'm sure they'll buy a different house if that's what it comes down to (if this whole story is true), but they shouldn't have to. The kid tried something out, decided it wasn't for him and now wants to come back and be with his friends.

Another area needing clarification---split seasons. Lets say a kid is offered an opportunity as a junior to play with the Express or Blizzards (MN teams) after his junior year, but due to distance, moves in with a billet for the spring. Can he come back his senior year to his high school team? Can he do a before an after his senior year assuming his classes all transfer mid semester?

How does the rule affect split seasons with out of state teams if the player lives with a billet? I assume most just fly/drive in just for games, but for those who choose to live with a billet and practice daily with the team, this rule causes many problems.

I'm looking forward to the challenge of the rule to close some loopholes and offer clarification.
I don't know that there are any loopholes or areas needing clarification. If a kid starts 9th grade at School "X", that is his school of record. Without the family moving into another district (or other circumstances as outlined by the MSHSL), a transfer to another HS - including billeting in juniors - would cause a one-year ban from varsity competition.

I don't agree with the MSHSL ruling, but it is what it is. I think this thread has very little to do with Pryor and more to do with understanding the transfer rule and what people think of it. I'd be stunned if Pryor (and his family) truly wanted out of the NTDP to come back to Hill.
hesabaddmann

pryor....

Post by hesabaddmann »

i am very glad i do not care about this topic that much.....
inthebox

Post by inthebox »

If a kid is going from private to a public school is there any way he can retain eligability if his family says they can't afford a private school?
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

inthebox wrote:If a kid is going from private to a public school is there any way he can retain eligability if his family says they can't afford a private school?
Or from public to private if Mom wins the lottery? :lol:

Loopholes will be found, especially for those that have some support. The rules "should" be firmly enforced for all, or removed totally.
Poolside

Post by Poolside »

But if the student doesn't play varsity at school #2 (as in Nick Pryor's case) why punish him?

Same for billeting with a jr program--why should we make student's drive back and forth daily to practice with the team? If academics allow for it--why not let them stay with a billet? Seems like the safer route for everyone.

No other high school benefitted from Pryor's play. I still say, let the kid play for Hill Murray. If Mom and Dad have to buy a new house or rent an apartment to allow it, it's simply clouding the whole ruling.
breakout

Post by breakout »

I would like to see him get the opportunity to play.

However, there should be no bending of the rules for anyone. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I wish Nick good luck.
Charliedog

Post by Charliedog »

I see Nick Prior listed as an "affiliate" of the Des Moines Buccaneers. Maybe he is keeping all options open.
Blue&Gold

Post by Blue&Gold »

Charliedog wrote:I see Nick Prior listed as an "affiliate" of the Des Moines Buccaneers. Maybe he is keeping all options open.
That pretty much means that he was drafted in the Affiliate Draft last fall, and they will keep him listed throughout the year (or longer) if he doesn't play there this year. It's how the USHL teams keep some players rights for a while. I wouldn't read too much into that myself.
Pioneerprideguy

Post by Pioneerprideguy »

Prior will not be playing for Hill next year. Their preference was to come back & they looked into what it would take, however nothing seemed feesable. The parents did what they thought was in the best interest of Nick a couple years ago & as it stands today, may not have been the right call. In the end, Nick will be fine & HM will continue to move forward.
toeblake05

Post by toeblake05 »

you have to live in the city that the school is located so if his parents live in maplewood he can go to hill and not sit out
Bub

Post by Bub »

toeblake05 wrote:you have to live in the city that the school is located so if his parents live in maplewood he can go to hill and not sit out
You are wrong.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

There were no attendance boundaries set for the private schools when the rule was changed
Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried »

pioneers wrote:There were no attendance boundaries set for the private schools when the rule was changed
That is correct you just have to change residence.

8)
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

Yah, I mean who would have thought that the new rule would cause just as much , if not more, unfairness than it sought to prevent.

Gosh, I would have never thunk it. What a shock.
stpaul

Nick Pryor

Post by stpaul »

Does anyone know how this came out? Is Nick Pryor at HM and can he play this year?
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Pioneerprideguy wrote:Prior will not be playing for Hill next year. Their preference was to come back & they looked into what it would take, however nothing seemed feesable. The parents did what they thought was in the best interest of Nick a couple years ago & as it stands today, may not have been the right call. In the end, Nick will be fine & HM will continue to move forward.

Read this
RLStars

Re: Nick Pryor

Post by RLStars »

stpaul wrote:Does anyone know how this came out? Is Nick Pryor at HM and can he play this year?
He played for the USNTDP u-18 team on Sept 19th against the texas Tornadoes so NO, he is not at HM and will not play for them this year.
http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/pro/bo ... eid=520850