New X-Mas tourny???

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

The Best 4th Liner

New X-Mas tourny???

Post by The Best 4th Liner »

Anyone have ideas that would make for an interesting christmas tournament??

Personally I would like to see the 8 section championship teams from the previous year face off against 8 other top ranked teams. Because as everyone knows the 8 state tourney teams are not necessarly the 8 best teams in the state.
"Two minutes well worth it."
sicknasty7722

Post by sicknasty7722 »

Any team that is somewhat decent will be in either the Schwanns Xmas Tourney, and I believe there is another tourney run up north?

Although it would be interesting to see the previous years 8 section champions face off.
Undercover Hockey Lover

Post by Undercover Hockey Lover »

To be perfectly honest coming to Roseau or Warroad or LOW for Christmas just isn't the thing a great many metro people want to do anymore, the history is there, but little else. I know Warroad and Roseau still have a Holiday Tourney and LOW partcipates in Roseau's or at least has been. The format I'd like to see is a six team tourney where Roseau, Warroad and LOW play a game at each place but their home game on Saturday night; the three visiting teams could also play once in each rink and never play the same team twice. This reduces the need to find 5 or more teams into just 3 where each team could base in their Saturday night town. Should be a fairly easy logistical problem for the three host schools to solve. And yes, the youth tourneys can get a nice metro contingent once and a while; but after that it's been there, done that. These are little towns with the bare necessaties with great hospitality. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see it but the 350 miles plus during the winter holiday season just isn't worth the stress and planning for a lot of folks.
boblee

post 8478

Post by boblee »

sicknasty7722 wrote:Any team that is somewhat decent will be in either the Schwanns Xmas Tourney, and I believe there is another tourney run up north?

Although it would be interesting to see the previous years 8 section champions face off.
I think that statement about all somehwat decent will be in the Cup.

Last year of the 16 teams who played in the state tourney, only 5 of them are playing in the Cup this year.
SB24

Post by SB24 »

There was a good thread going about this last winter i believe. The title for it was something along the lines of Schwans Cup of the North or something to that affect. The idea was to have all of the northern powerhouse teams (Basically all the good teams north of the cities) play in a 16 or so team tournament held at the Mini Ralph in TRF. That way, just like the city people wouldn't want to travel north for the holidays, most northerners would rather spend their time around home during that time of the year as well. There was a fairly strong backing of that idea if i remember right, maybe i can dig up the old thread...
RIP suzy 12.10.2006 - 2.27.2008
packerboy

Post by packerboy »

I think I remember that too.

They wanted to call it The Kwanzaa Classic .....or something like that.
TheHockeyDJ

Xmas tourney

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

This would be a great Xmas tournament:

Thur. - Fri. - Sat. at the DECC

8 Teams
Duluth East
Grand Rapids
Cloquet
Roseau
Moorhead
Duluth Marshall
Hermantown
Hibbing
sicknasty7722

Re: post 8478

Post by sicknasty7722 »

boblee wrote:
sicknasty7722 wrote:Any team that is somewhat decent will be in either the Schwanns Xmas Tourney, and I believe there is another tourney run up north?

I think that statement about all somehwat decent will be in the Cup.

Last year of the 16 teams who played in the state tourney, only 5 of them are playing in the Cup this year.
Well boblee let's take a look at something YOU posted:
1. Roseau
2. Edina
3. Moorhead
4. Holy Angels
5. Hill-Murray
6. Burnsville
7. Centennial
8. Anoka
9. Duluth East
10. Eden Prairie

and the "top" teams playing in this years Schwan's Cup:

AHA, HM, Duluth East, White Bear, Centennial, Minnetonka, Moorhead, Roseville, Wazyeta, Breck, Edina, Benilde, Blaine, STA, Cretin, Maple Grove, Blake, Stillwater, Burnsville.

funny it seems to me that most all of these teams seem to fit the description of your top 10....not to mention everybody else's. 8)
boblee

post 8483

Post by boblee »

I am not saying the teams in the Cup are bad teams, nor am I saying they are not top 10 teams. All I am saying is there are plenty of teams who are very, very good that will not be playing in the Cup.
Neutron 14

Re: post 8483

Post by Neutron 14 »

boblee wrote: All I am saying is there are plenty of teams who are very, very good that will not be playing in the Cup.
Who besides Roseau bob?
boblee

post 8485

Post by boblee »

Neutron 14 wrote:
boblee wrote: All I am saying is there are plenty of teams who are very, very good that will not be playing in the Cup.
Who besides Roseau bob?
Look at teams like Grand Rapids, Hermantown, Duluth Marshall, Cloquet. I don't have the brackets in front of me otherwise I could list more.
Neutron 14

Re: post 8485

Post by Neutron 14 »

boblee wrote:
Neutron 14 wrote:
Who besides Roseau bob?
Look at teams like Grand Rapids, Hermantown, Duluth Marshall, Cloquet. I don't have the brackets in front of me otherwise I could list more.
I think we have different definitions of very, very good.
boblee

post 8486

Post by boblee »

Grand Rapids-Back to Back state runner up

Hermantown-2006 undefeated state champions

Duluth Marshall-Back to Back state runner up

Cloquet-Played in 3 straight section 7AA finals (arguably the toughest section in the state recently) and started 13-0

You're right. That doesn't seem to qualify as very, very good.
PuckRanger

Re: post 8486

Post by PuckRanger »

boblee wrote:Grand Rapids-Back to Back state runner up

Cloquet-Played in 3 straight section 7AA finals (arguably the toughest section in the state recently) and started 13-0

Yeah, but being from the Iron Range or Duluth area (except for maybe East) automatically disqualifies them from that category. :roll:
At least it sure seems that way... ](*,)
Neutron 14

Re: post 8486

Post by Neutron 14 »

boblee wrote:Grand Rapids-Back to Back state runner up

Pulling the switcheroo, huh bob? Going from are very, very good to were very, very good. If the teams you listed ARE very, very good, what does that make Roseau? Very, very, very, very, very?

None of the teams you listed finished in the top 10 last year (PS2), and by your own rating, none of them are in the top ten this year. Making it to state as one of the 16 geographical representatives (let alone # of times losing a section final), doesn't automatically qualify you as a very, very good team. Just my opinion of course...
somekidthatplayshockey

Post by somekidthatplayshockey »

wow are all of you guys from up north? what happened to metro pride?
HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher »

I have an idea. If you really want to know how who the best team is, let's just have 128 team bracket with 25 play in games, all games just randomly assigned. Wouldn't that be sweet, then we'd see who's really the best...
The Best 4th Liner

Here is my version...

Post by The Best 4th Liner »

Roseau vs Cretin

Blaine vs Holy Angels

Burnsville vs Centennial

Edina vs Duluth East

Woodbury vs Moorhead

Rochester Century vs Eden Prairie

Hill Murray vs Cloquet

Grand Rapids vs Roseville

How does that look for everyone? Then send back invitations to the top 8 teams, and invite the section champions again. Then fill in the spots with other top ranked teams.
"Two minutes well worth it."