Leaving for the USHL and the community.

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:38 pm

That brussel sprout smell from the paper mill effects their judgement

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:28 pm

Coachk wrote:That brussel sprout smell from the paper mill effects their judgement

brussel sprout?!?!?!?!?
:lol:

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:43 pm

I know a little about Intl Falls and the people there.
And the people mentioned on this thread and on others.

The Falls people are very loyal. It is expected.
When someone is 'not loyal' to the team, the whole (remember this is still a strong union town in an era of anti-union), they are offended. They see it as a character flaw. As being selfish.

(Of course, this is not every person in town, but a reaction by many, spoken or not.)

But it is real.
It is something those Broncos-no-longer must and do consider (making it even harder to leave).
And as Packerboy said it is fine to hear the other side.

Some are not upset, most will get over it, some never will.
The majority (eventually the vast majority) will support him stonger than most other communities.

Why? Becuase he was and always will be a Bronco.

theref

Post by theref » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:45 pm

elliott70 wrote:I know a little about Intl Falls and the people there.
And the people mentioned on this thread and on others.

The Falls people are very loyal. It is expected.
When someone is 'not loyal' to the team, the whole (remember this is still a strong union town in an era of anti-union), they are offended. They see it as a character flaw. As being selfish.

(Of course, this is not every person in town, but a reaction by many, spoken or not.)

But it is real.
It is something those Broncos-no-longer must and do consider (making it even harder to leave).
And as Packerboy said it is fine to hear the other side.

Some are not upset, most will get over it, some never will.
The majority (eventually the vast majority) will support him stonger than most other communities.

Why? Becuase he was and always will be a Bronco.
Well said like always Elliot. I agree, just wish more people in the Falls saw it that way.

carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:00 pm

The coach DIDN'T say he wouldn't welcome him back, but that some in the community might not. At least that is how I read the post.

Some on here need to think before posting some of this junk on this board.

hipcheck

leave early>

Post by hipcheck » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:01 pm

It's about 50-50 as those who will wish a player well on his way, or those that feel betrayed by that individual. In smaller commmunities, it is a community dream to see "their boys" go to the Xcel and win one for all of them. Seeing a stud leave just puts a sour taste in some as to what could have been.

Gopher Blog

Post by Gopher Blog » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:06 pm

packerboy wrote:You and your buddy Lucia ought to come down from up in the corner of the arena to learn a little about what people are feeling.
The irony of it, the situation we are discussing has nothing to do with the coach you like to whine about. :lol:

Much of my family ties are to the Iron Range. So I am very familiar with both sides of the commentary in situations very similar to this.

A close relative of mine is a key individual in player development for one town up there. He has seen players he helped develop stay until they graduate. He has also seen the other side when somebody leaves early. I take my cue from his attitude. He puts hours upon hours many weeks during the year helping kids for this town. Yet he is encouraging to a kid if the possibility is there to step up elsewhere if a kid wants to. If he can be that way, then I have a hard time being sympathetic to people who put in much less time with these kids when they act like a kid owes them something. He would have just as much (if not more reason) to bitch and he doesn't. To me, he is a good role model for what volunteer work and development should be about.

packerboy

Post by packerboy » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:04 am

Blog wrote:"The irony of it, the situation we are discussing has nothing to do with the coach you like to whine about. "

Maybe, but that wont stop me. :lol:

HShockeywatcher

Post by HShockeywatcher » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:17 am

I just think it's curious how people are about this. They complain, but if he does well in the USHL I'm sure there won't be a member of the I Falls community bragging about where he's from. It happens to lots of schools all over with so many more people.

I think this brings up another interesting point, which is that there is no other sport where the good players aren't ready to play at the next level after high school. More than anything, I think that's just really interesting. If you're not the best, but a pretty good player, you have to go play in the USHL for a few years before playing college, when many of those players don't even end up doing anything with hockey after.

carpenterguy

Post by carpenterguy » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:19 pm

Every sport has many kids who aren't ready to play at the next level after high school, and that's why they redshirt. However, since juniors is an option that most other sports don't have after high school, why not develop a players skills even more. Moreover, the kids get a chance to grow into their bodies.

hockeyfan95

Post by hockeyfan95 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:27 pm

first of all, i'm from the Falls and it doesn't smell like brussel sprouts

i'm also part of the Bronco hockey team, and although some people are mad that Brady left, most people support him. They understand why he made his decision. He is a good guy and I wouldn't want him to be shunned by his choice to leave. When Drew left people were really mad. I remember him being the butt of every joke at the pep fests after he left. I just don't think that's going to happen to Brady. I really wish he was gonna play for us this year, and I think he could have gone just as far by staying, but he wasn't the whole team. We can still make do with what we have.

dadoc

Post by dadoc » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:27 pm

I think discussions like this have the opportunity to expose our sports deepest hypocacies. Coaches cry foul (some of them) when they lose a player to a developmental league - but when that kid is a D1 star, you can expect their resume to include "developed D1 level talent." Additionally, those in the community that might shun a player leaving for an opportunity to expedite the development of their skills - will be the first in line when that kid brings the Stanley Cup to their community, telling all their friends, "i know him personally!" Unfortunately, the rules of this game, is that nearly all of young talent has to spend time in a junior league. The question becomes do they want to graduate from high school with their age group or do they want to graduate from college with them?

CarGuy

Post by CarGuy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:37 pm

man,i would hate to play for a coach that would say that about a player who left...must bea pretty self centered coach to hold a grudge against a kid.....

newsguy35

Post by newsguy35 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:52 pm

CarGuy wrote:man,i would hate to play for a coach that would say that about a player who left...must bea pretty self centered coach to hold a grudge against a kid.....

Like I said before, we will never know what was actually said between the 2 parties. All we have is he said she said and while we can speculate on what was actually we said we draw assumptions. We will see what happens and how things work out.

Coachk

Post by Coachk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:33 pm

hockey fan 95, then what does that smell when you cross the bridge to Canada? I am not surprised you lost your sense of smelling living there.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:26 pm

Coachk wrote:hockey fan 95, then what does that smell when you cross the bridge to Canada? I am not surprised you lost your sense of smelling living there.

JOBS!