Grand Rapids : Where will the points come from?

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:05 pm

GR3343 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
GR3343 wrote:I guess I'm of the opinion that if you have a soph. and a sr. who are even close, you play the soph. You're going to get more milage for your program that way. The senior is on his way out while you will get two plus seasons from a budding soph.
"even close"
Boy that would suck.....kind of tough to look fwd to the Sr. year if your gonna get knocked off by a younger player that may or may not pan out.
That's always playing for the future then.... so I disagree.
But like you said that's your opinion and that's alright.

Do you get rid of that budding soph after the Jr. year for the next promise??
Maybe came out a little harsh. Only meant to say if you've got a potentially better player that will help your team now as well as in the future, and that player is a soph., I would think you would keep him over a borderline sr. who has only played jv up til now. Even if that sr. is equal to or close to as talented as the upcoming sophs. You'll eventually end up with a better team in the long run because you will have a broader canvas with which to work for 2 plus years, as opposed to developing a player who will be on his/her way after the season's done. I'm sure it's a dilema facing every program in the state. What's right and fair? Only the coaches can make those decisions.
Not harsh at all.... it's a tough call, but you've added different variables now against that Sr. which makes some difference...so I'll come back with a few of my own variables, why was he JV? was it a power house loaded Sr team in the years prior? that didn't afford him as a mere Soph or Jr. to replace an upper classmen? if so there was no choice but JV?
See you can start a cycle of not having Sr's if your always playing for tomorrow.
IDK I'd rather watch these days.... :D

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:30 pm

Can't Never Tried wrote:
GR3343 wrote:
Can't Never Tried wrote:
GR3343 wrote:I guess I'm of the opinion that if you have a soph. and a sr. who are even close, you play the soph. You're going to get more milage for your program that way. The senior is on his way out while you will get two plus seasons from a budding soph.
"even close"
Boy that would suck.....kind of tough to look fwd to the Sr. year if your gonna get knocked off by a younger player that may or may not pan out.
That's always playing for the future then.... so I disagree.
But like you said that's your opinion and that's alright.

Do you get rid of that budding soph after the Jr. year for the next promise??

Maybe came out a little harsh. Only meant to say if you've got a potentially better player that will help your team now as well as in the future, and that player is a soph., I would think you would keep him over a borderline sr. who has only played jv up til now. Even if that sr. is equal to or close to as talented as the upcoming sophs. You'll eventually end up with a better team in the long run because you will have a broader canvas with which to work for 2 plus years, as opposed to developing a player who will be on his/her way after the season's done. I'm sure it's a dilema facing every program in the state. What's right and fair? Only the coaches can make those decisions.
Not harsh at all.... it's a tough call, but you've added different variables now against that Sr. which makes some difference...so I'll come back with a few of my own variables, why was he JV? was it a power house loaded Sr team in the years prior? that didn't afford him as a mere Soph or Jr. to replace an upper classmen? if so there was no choice but JV?
See you can start a cycle of not having Sr's if your always playing for tomorrow.
IDK I'd rather watch these days.... :D
Good call, glad I'm also just in the stands not having to make those calls.

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:40 pm

I might be wrong but it sounds like we might have some parents on these posts that are a little worried either for there Senior Kid or Sophmore Kid??? :?: :?:
My opinion you play for this Year! You Play one game at a time not for the future. Put the best Players on the ice now. If anyone has that Crystal ball that predicts the future, please PM me I'm heading to Vegas next week!!!!

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:59 am

Indians forever wrote:I might be wrong but it sounds like we might have some parents on these posts that are a little worried either for there Senior Kid or Sophmore Kid??? :?: :?:
It's possible to come to that conclusion, or then on the other hand it could just be discussion :)

Indians forever wrote:
My opinion you play for this Year! You Play one game at a time not for the future. Put the best Players on the ice now.
I think that's what I said :?

GRhawky

Post by GRhawky » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:45 am

Bottom line is you put your best team on the ice no matter what grade and i agree 100% with that. However, if you have any doubts over who is "better" between say a soph and a sr...you play the senior. The soph should be able to learn from watching not just playing and the senior deserves that chance. Then if he can't keep up he will get bumped down. If there is a battle for a position, its the senior that has it to lose

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:48 pm

GRhawky wrote:Bottom line is you put your best team on the ice no matter what grade and i agree 100% with that. However, if you have any doubts over who is "better" between say a soph and a sr...you play the senior. The soph should be able to learn from watching not just playing and the senior deserves that chance. Then if he can't keep up he will get bumped down. If there is a battle for a position, its the senior that has it to lose
Good points.

5 Hole

Post by 5 Hole » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:32 pm

GR will struggle to find a go-to scorer, but with 7AA down this year compared to last, I don't doubt GR will have another sucessfull season.

GR3343

Post by GR3343 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:44 pm

5 Hole wrote:GR will struggle to find a go-to scorer, but with 7AA down this year compared to last, I don't doubt GR will have another sucessfull season.
I may be wrong, but I've already seen a difference in some of the kids from last year, whether they're incoming sophomores or returning vets. Some differences good, some bad. All speculations of course, but look for Kosak, Rendle & Palki to really turn some heads. Also watch out for Tabaka. He's impressed those who have watched him in Elite II play, and looks to be dedicated to having a strong farewell season. I would not be shocked to see the Indians in the 7AA final vs Anoka or Duluth East. The scoring looks to be well distributed, and hopefully Mr. LaRoque will find the right combinations. With a little puck luck, GR will have at least 1- 20 goal scorer and more than 1 with 10 or more. The concerns I had when this post originated have changed to a more positive outlook based on some of the players I've seen. If these boys find a way to co-exist and work together, the sky's the limit.

jdizzle12

Re: Grand Rapids : Where will the points come from?

Post by jdizzle12 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:13 pm

GR3343 wrote:Was looking at the GRHS website and an alarming stat jumped out at me. As a team it appears they scored 114 goals. Returning players accounted for only 32 of those, with Roy leading the way with 10. Who's going to pick up the slack this season?
John Skrbec, Tony Palkki,Sam Rendle- are those spelled right?

GR3343

Re: Grand Rapids : Where will the points come from?

Post by GR3343 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:25 pm

jdizzle12 wrote:
GR3343 wrote:Was looking at the GRHS website and an alarming stat jumped out at me. As a team it appears they scored 114 goals. Returning players accounted for only 32 of those, with Roy leading the way with 10. Who's going to pick up the slack this season?
John Skrbec, Tony Palkki,Sam Rendle- are those spelled right?
I believe so, why?

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:01 pm

2 words-Rob Roy.

gotcha

Post by gotcha » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:38 am

ope! rob roy ope!