7AA playoff sites

Older Topics, Not the current discussion

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheHockeyDJ

7AA playoff sites

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm

I think this is the last year 7AA has a contract with the DECC to host the semi-finals and championship game. I personally hope they keep it there, but since there is a majority southern influence in 7AA I wonder if one of the rounds will get sent down to the TC area?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also, anyone know when there are supposed to have a meeting on this?

Johnny_Murphy

Post by Johnny_Murphy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:36 pm

Hopefully it stays at the DECC!!!!!!

PuckTime

Post by PuckTime » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Playoff games were always fun at Hibbing Memorial also.

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:06 pm

one thought would be to keep the TC area schools out of 7 AA!!! :?:

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:17 pm

PuckTime wrote:Playoff games were always fun at Hibbing Memorial also.
Personally, I've always enjoyed the drive up to Hibbing to watch some 7AA semifinal playoff action on Saturday afternoon. The pizza at Sammy's afterwards was always worth it, and the atmosphere at Memorial is nearly unbeatable. The only advantage the DECC offered (other than a two-minute drive for us versus an hour drive :) ) was being able to attend both games for the cost of one ticket.

Either place is fine with me.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 pm

I like Hibbing too. It's an awesome building, you feel the history as you approach the arena. What I like about the DECC for the semi's is I can stay at the Holiday Inn and walk from my hotel room to the DECC without every stepping outside. And make a stop a starbucks along the way.

Can't Never Tried

Post by Can't Never Tried » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:28 pm

Indians forever wrote:one thought would be to keep the TC area schools out of 7 AA!!! :?:
You'd get soft if that happened :lol:

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Indians forever wrote:one thought would be to keep the TC area schools out of 7 AA!!! :?:
Fraidy ThunderChicken! Get two more schools to opt up instead of playing JV and you'll probaby get your wish!

Zamboni Guy

Post by Zamboni Guy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:08 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
Fraidy ThunderChicken! Get two more schools to opt up instead of playing JV and you'll probaby get your wish!
Paging Duluth Marshall and Hermantown.... :wink:

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:13 pm

Hibbing may be a nice place to watch hockey, but it's sort of a silly place to have 7AA playoff games when there aren't any teams in the section close to Hibbing. If Duluth is stretching it for the cities teams, why on earth would they want to go to Hibbing?

I hope it stays in the DECC. Yes, it's a bit of a drive for some teams, but it's by far the best arena in the area and any other venue probably wouldn't hold enough people.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:34 pm

I never understood the "a 7AA team doesn't play there". That's retarded reasoning. The playoffs at semi's and after are supposed to be on neutral ice. Just because the Jackets play in single A doesn't mean the Memorial Building is somehow less of a venue.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:56 am

I wouldn't argue against Hibbing because there's no 7AA team there, I'd argue against it because it's not in a central location and is pretty incovenient for the fan base of just about every team in the section.

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:04 am

karl(east) wrote:Hibbing may be a nice place to watch hockey, but it's sort of a silly place to have 7AA playoff games when there aren't any teams in the section close to Hibbing. If Duluth is stretching it for the cities teams, why on earth would they want to go to Hibbing?

I hope it stays in the DECC. Yes, it's a bit of a drive for some teams, but it's by far the best arena in the area and any other venue probably wouldn't hold enough people.
Actually, the argument is made for Hibbing because it is a neutral site. One of the problems folks have had with the DECC is because it's East's home ice during the regular season, so there's an implication of "home ice advantage". It's an implication which is hard to debate against.

I agree that Hibbing means more miles driven for almost everybody (except Grand Rapids, of course), but if you're going to use that argument, then St Cloud is geographically closer for the majority of 7AA teams. So why not have the semis and finals at the National Concrete Center? Image

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:09 am

I think also the southern teams should have less pull in deciding where the semi-finals are because Elk River is the only southern team to reach the semi's in recent years. Imagine: 7AA championship game at Aldrich arena, East vs. Rapids.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 am

In watching 7AA playoffs in the DECC for the past 3 years, it seems Cloquet and GR's fan bases are nearly as large, if not as large, as East's. So against these teams at least it hasn't really been much of a home advantage for the Hounds (and the results display that, too). We have yet to see how well a good cities team will travel to the DECC, though may get a chance with Anoka.

Also, East will be playing a number of home games at the Heritage Arena whenever it finally opens, so in a few years that could be considered their "home arena" (though the DECC is still closer to East). I'm not sure how much of a home adavantage the DECC is even in the regular season (aside from the travel), since it's such a sterile environment if it's not a big game.

As awful as it would be, I don't really have a counter-argument against moving the game to St. Cloud. Doesn't 8AA already have its finals there though?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:24 am

8AA is there on Wed. night.

I also wonder about Anoka having a good fan following. I was really disappointed by Brainerd and Elk River the last 3 seasons. Their side of the DECC it looks like a JV crowd in November.

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:52 pm

east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Hibbing may be a nice place to watch hockey, but it's sort of a silly place to have 7AA playoff games when there aren't any teams in the section close to Hibbing. If Duluth is stretching it for the cities teams, why on earth would they want to go to Hibbing?

Actually, the argument is made for Hibbing because it is a neutral site. One of the problems folks have had with the DECC is because it's East's home ice during the regular season, so there's an implication of "home ice advantage". It's an implication which is hard to debate against.

I agree that Hibbing means more miles driven for almost everybody (except Grand Rapids, of course), but if you're going to use that argument, then St Cloud is geographically closer for the majority of 7AA teams. So why not have the semis and finals at the National Concrete Center? Image

Lee
Lee, sorry, if you are going to have it in St. Cloud then you should just have all of the section finals at the Excel!! Bottom line 7AA should and will stay up North!!!!! :wink: :wink: If Anoka and Elk River don't like it then they can opt out of the section!!!!! just my opinion, that I hold dear to my heart.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:12 am

Indians forever wrote:Lee, sorry, if you are going to have it in St. Cloud then you should just have all of the section finals at the Excel!! Bottom line 7AA should and will stay up North!!!!! :wink: :wink: If Anoka and Elk River don't like it then they can opt out of the section!!!!! just my opinion, that I hold dear to my heart.
Kinda hung up on this "north" thingy aren't you.

SECTION 7AA:
Andover, Anoka, Cambridge, Cloquet, Duluth East, Elk River, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, St. Francis.

If you want a "north" section combine the "north" schools of 7AA and 8AA.

We'll create a back door section for cities teams.

EREmpireStrikesBack

Post by EREmpireStrikesBack » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:35 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
Indians forever wrote:Lee, sorry, if you are going to have it in St. Cloud then you should just have all of the section finals at the Excel!! Bottom line 7AA should and will stay up North!!!!! :wink: :wink: If Anoka and Elk River don't like it then they can opt out of the section!!!!! just my opinion, that I hold dear to my heart.

SECTION 7AA:
Andover, Anoka, Cambridge, Cloquet, Duluth East, Elk River, Forest Lake, Grand Rapids, St. Francis.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neutowned!

:idea:
Elk River AA State Champions- 2001 Boys & 2004 Girls

PuckTime

Post by PuckTime » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:43 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:

SECTION 7AA:

All the people from the South would probably like that ... they wouldn't have to watch all those Northern teams at State.

And us Northerners are very proud of the Hockey Tradition that we've created.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:10 pm

PuckTime wrote:All the people from the South would probably like that ... they wouldn't have to watch all those Northern teams at State.
First all north final since '95. We're hardly sick of it.
PuckTime wrote:And us Northerners are very proud of the Hockey Tradition that we've created.
And well you should be. But your omnipotence is unfounded, as your dominance ended in the 60's.

PuckTime

Post by PuckTime » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:36 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
PuckTime wrote:All the people from the South would probably like that ... they wouldn't have to watch all those Northern teams at State.
First all north final since '95. We're hardly sick of it.
PuckTime wrote:And us Northerners are very proud of the Hockey Tradition that we've created.
And well you should be. But your omnipotence is unfounded, as your dominance ended in the 60's.

I never said you were sick of it, just that way you wouldn't have to watch. I'm would imagine a lot of people "down south" would rather see cities teams in the finals. Just my opinion.

I also never said we were dominant - just proud. It's great to see small town schools still competing as they do.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:39 pm

I think the north was pretty dominant last year. No southern teams in either state final. I remember Friday morning the Pioneer Press sports section title was "Metro Misery". Gotta love that.

Neutron 14

Post by Neutron 14 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:57 pm

PuckTime wrote: I never said you were sick of it, just that way you wouldn't have to watch. I'm would imagine a lot of people "down south" would rather see cities teams in the finals. Just my opinion.

I also never said we were dominant - just proud. It's great to see small town schools still competing as they do.
95% of us Citiots root for witto Roseau every time they come down. The north is anti-cities, but its a one-way animosity.

I do like the back-door idea though... :twisted:

Indians forever

Post by Indians forever » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:22 pm

Neutron 14 wrote:
PuckTime wrote: I never said you were sick of it, just that way you wouldn't have to watch. I'm would imagine a lot of people "down south" would rather see cities teams in the finals. Just my opinion.

95% of us Citiots root for witto Roseau every time they come down. The north is anti-cities, but its a one-way animosity.

I do like the back-door idea though... :twisted:
Neut, sorry don't take this the wrong way!! You may have alot of posts on this board but what you lack is Hockey Knowledge. Just my opinion, I Might be wrong!! Just remember one thing that whenever a northern team goes down to the big dance whether it is A or AA They always make a good impression!!!! If you like Back Doors the only one that I seen last year was Century (outstate) that stuck it up the back door of Hill's!!!!